• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gemo 240 clutch cables

I posted this in my wanted thread.

I just installed my on hand aftermarket garbage cable as a stop gap. It's not even close on ease of installation. With the aftermarket cables, it's a NON-STOP swear fest and wrestling match. With the OEM type cables it's as simple as install, thread and adjust.

If there's a discussion on a manufacturing side my ACTUAL issues would simply be that the aftermarket cables just aren't designed well. I don't know if they're using them for different cars or what but cable quality aside, this could all be easily addressed with a greater range of adjustability (like... maybe even just another half inch?) and of course, a quality cable.

As it stands, the ONLY way I'm EVER able to get this cable installed is... adjust it all the way out, grab the actual cable (not the ball, and not the collarnut FOR the ball, the cable) with some needlenose vice grips (which is TERRIBLE for the cable) and pull it while wedging it over that stupid block of iron on the clutch fork. Then begin adjusting it (via bushing only, because the other thing won't turn on the cable) and sit there adjusting it for like... a million years.

Put another half inch of adjustability in it.

I think they used the cable design for some other car for the incorrect plastic adjuster cables. There are some old threads where people came up with ways to compress the clutch bearing arm so you can more easily put the pos together.

Last edited:
does that mean that, what i have here is just some ,,garbage?? packed in volvo plastic bag?
27858172_1614088152014844_8829840207518045507_n.jpg

27655000_1614088182014841_8739712052297372556_n.jpg

The plastic adjuster thing Volvo gives you is a flavor of "slightly less terrible" than some of the terrible plastic adjuster cables. :lol:
There is more than one manufacturer for them to keep the price point hilariously low on them and keep all the quality competition well at bay in the "market" (if it could even be called that). :lol:

annnd this thread proves my point. Guy begging for one in wanted bought an aftermarket one as a "stop-gap" but they still got another Volvo owner like a moth to the flame :rofl:.

Was just checking my parts and the last Gemo style Volvo brand cable I bought was in sept 2013. It was made in Germany and cost about 27$ plus shipping from Tasca.

There are some old threads where people came up with ways to compress the clutch bearing arm so you can more easily put the pos together.

Yeah the aftermarket cables are ****, but they sure beat a broken OE one if you're stranded. My method was to install it at the pedal side first, route it down near the trans, then compress the shift fork with a ratchet strap around the crossmember+shift fork. Then you can easily feed it.

Maybe we can get some NEW OE style cables produced again. I wold buy a few.

If they could do a run of 100 they would sell out quickly. But being a big company their minimum quantity may be above what we can afford. Now if some of the big stockists like World pac for example or even genuine classic parts ordered. That may help the situation. Someone should send this thread to Gemo.

The plastic adjuster thing Volvo gives you is a flavor of "slightly less terrible" than some of the terrible plastic adjuster cables. :lol:
There is more than one manufacturer for them to keep the price point hilariously low on them and keep all the quality competition well at bay in the "market" (if it could even be called that). :lol:

annnd this thread proves my point. Guy begging for one in wanted bought an aftermarket one as a "stop-gap" but they still got another Volvo owner like a moth to the flame :rofl:.

No. I did NOT do that. I snapped my OEM clutch cable (87 244) on a move from NY to NC. It snapped as we crossed into Maryland and I drove the entire way rev-matching with no clutch. Only had to blow 1 red light. Getting fuel was... interesting though lol.

When I swapped my 93 245 from auto to manual I sourced an ACTUAL OEM cable from 2manyturbos. I installed that. THAT cable just snapped and I HAD the stupid aftermarket junk on hand here to get the car rolling while I find another OEM cable. The ONLY REASON I purchased that aftermarket cable at all was because I searched on here and there were threads that said Gemo was quality cable. I only found out AFTER that it was garbage. In fact, I did an entire write-up about how they offer 2 part numbers and BOTH are that crappy cable, but they're different lengths and only one will work.

So GTFO with that I'm part of the problem crap. Part of the problem is when threads on this forum (and forums in general... ilu guys) have garbage asssss threads that are trying to get correct info out, and it devolves into nonsense.

HOW MUCH PSI A STOCK CAN SUPPORT!

^ I mean... for how big a pain in the ass it is to do with the garbage cables, if it lasts twice as long...

^ I mean... for how big a pain in the ass it is to do with the garbage cables, if it lasts twice as long...

:nod:

Ya I'd pay that in a heartbeat to solve a major problem, but I got the last of the Mohicans from RPR just before he went out, and do have a good JY spare in my trunk so it's a non sequitur.

I just spent 20 mins researching ordering the parts to make a cable from scratch. The crimp on ball ends are a little more than a buck a piece, the cable is pretty cheap, Mcmaster has some stuff, however these guys have clevises and housing and the other stuff, but no pricing. My guess is a one off cable, at mcmaster style pricing, provided you have a way to crimp the swadges, should be 40-50 in materials.
http://catalog.lexcocable.com/viewi...tock-coiled-steel-lined-bowden-bowden-conduit
http://www.lexcocable.com/balls-shank-balls.html
http://catalog.lexcocable.com/viewi...-grade-open-strap-clevis?&bc=100|1080|3001942
I bet with a little more looking, a guy could make one for less. Much less if you are ordering for 100 of them.... Easily better than the junk we got now and maybe as good or better than the gemo oldies....Not me, mind you but somebody could make them. I would buy one.

Back