• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

(formerly) The $700 1988 245

Update: I broke something again.

110psi on cyl 4 and smoke out of the catch can. 160psi on 1-3. Hasn't made any weird noises other than the ones I'm used to. What do I do? Rip off the head and look? Keep driving until it explodes more and swap the engine? Oil looks fine but smells like gas. Not burning oil, at least not bad enough for me to notice so far.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cT7qrtptrmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is normal right?

0jtOhFEh.jpg

I believe the issue was the head gasket. Waiting on a new one.

One of the issues with being in a small market is not having the standard issue items readily available at the parts store, i.e. head gasket. My 245 being my DD, fortunately I haven't been stranded by the car (says a few holy words to Thor) but always know that for any project I have to order all the bits and bobbles to cover my ass in case it swarms on me.

Looks like you are well on your way to fixing the issue.

One of the issues with being in a small market is not having the standard issue items readily available at the parts store, i.e. head gasket. My 245 being my DD, fortunately I haven't been stranded by the car (says a few holy words to Thor) but always know that for any project I have to order all the bits and bobbles to cover my ass in case it swarms on me.

Looks like you are well on your way to fixing the issue.

I live like 10 minutes from an eeuroparts warehouse so I can pick stuff up there, they just don't have any head gaskets.

Welllllll, it's just the same as before except now it has an actual drain with AN fittings since my JB welded tube with heater hose broke. Still idles like crap and ****s all the oil out of the breather. Goddamn it, I really can't see what the issue could be. Valves would cause low compression, but not oil spewing. Bore looked perfect. Rings?

But look at how pretty my valve cover is.

NtxUrmih.jpg

And how pretty my crankcase gases are in the headlights.

00EuS8sh.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J1s57YqxCgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

looks sounds like one of the following : Massive vac leak, Ect Failure, timing off a tooth, Wrong injectors (idk), It almost sounds like its in limp mode (when the MAF is disconnected).

I was generous and reread your thread, which I recommend you doing, BC it seems like you have a long standing unresolved issue/s. Im guessing you have wiring/ vac issues under the dash...

-start by plugging the vac lines that run into the cabin
- Verify timing (which Im sure u have already)
-Check ECT resistance (bc if fouled it will constantly think its cold and add enrichment)
-Double check plugs
-The biggest thing I can see being an issue is your chipped ECU. Granted ive never had one, but LH in general needs to learn for a while, and i think even more so with chips.

It might be worth making a vac smoke machine tester or paying ~100 to have someone do it.
It would help not only me but you and others if you made a mod list of everything as it stands.
The more info you provide the more helpful I can be.

**** while ur at it rent a compression tester from a parts place.

looks sounds like one of the following : Massive vac leak, Ect Failure, timing off a tooth, Wrong injectors (idk), It almost sounds like its in limp mode (when the MAF is disconnected).

I was generous and reread your thread, which I recommend you doing, BC it seems like you have a long standing unresolved issue/s. Im guessing you have wiring/ vac issues under the dash...

-start by plugging the vac lines that run into the cabin
- Verify timing (which Im sure u have already)
-Check ECT resistance (bc if fouled it will constantly think its cold and add enrichment)
-Double check plugs
-The biggest thing I can see being an issue is your chipped ECU. Granted ive never had one, but LH in general needs to learn for a while, and i think even more so with chips.

It might be worth making a vac smoke machine tester or paying ~100 to have someone do it.
It would help not only me but you and others if you made a mod list of everything as it stands.
The more info you provide the more helpful I can be.

**** while ur at it rent a compression tester from a parts place.

I've looked for vac leaks multiple times and I'm pretty sure I've eliminated them all. Can't check timing due to lack of lower timing cover. As for ECU, if I'm correct, 2.2 is non-learning. All the chip does is add fuel during the onset of boost to prevent leaning out anyway. I've had a couple different ECUs in this thing and it runs the same no matter what. Injectors probably should be cleaned/replaced but it runs fine under throttle. Shaky idle is probably just the low compression. Still pulls hard, just spews a ton of oil out of the separator. (And lots of smoke, all the time.)

As for compression, it had 90psi on #4 which I assumed was due to the headgasket because I couldn't find anything wrong in there, but clearly I was wrong. See: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=335892

I'm just gonna slap in the '86 engine from my old car and tear down the '93 one that's currently in it.

Decided to see if I could make a drain better than the JB welded mess currently in the car. Engine will probably come out later today.

noJKePkh.jpg

d073ERdh.jpg

Back