• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

aq171c belts

aussyvolvo

Will stalk for money
Hi, I'm trying to put an altinator on this engine, and I need to see how others do it. Do you run dual belts, with the alt on the bottom left, or single with it high right?

I have a spare lower left, but both belts interfear with the timing marker shroud. Could I use a small spacer and run 1 belt?

1 last question, I haven't looked at volvo engines in so long, can someone tell me the difference between the aq171a, aq171b, and aq17c? And what other blocks the crank/rods/pistons/head are compatable with (ie. b200, b23e, b230ft, or b234f?)

Hi, I'm trying to put an altinator on this engine, and I need to see how others do it. Do you run dual belts, with the alt on the bottom left, or single with it high right?

I have a spare lower left, but both belts interfear with the timing marker shroud. Could I use a small spacer and run 1 belt?

1 last question, I haven't looked at volvo engines in so long, can someone tell me the difference between the aq171a, aq171b, and aq17c? And what other blocks the crank/rods/pistons/head are compatable with (ie. b200, b23e, b230ft, or b234f?)

if the belt goes directly from crank to alt you may use a single belt as it has more wrap around the pulley.
If the single belt is driving two accessories, (aka 3 pulleys total) you need 2 belts or it will squeal bad

This quote should answer your other questions

unfortunately it's all on the old board which is lost in outer space.

• everything 151 or 171 is forged
  • a b c or d was related to the model year.
  • a and b are center thrust cranks c and d are rear thrust similar to pre-K blocks being center thrust and K-later blocks being rear thrust.
  • c is roughly equivalent to a 90 b230 block in terms of specs (rod width, etc).
  • you cannot use a b crank in a c block (this would be equivalent of trying to put an 85 b230f crank in a 90 b230f block)
  • The penta rods are identical in length to the b230f rods
  • The penta pistons have a different pin height to accomodate the longer crank stroke. B230F/FT pistons will be too tall if you try to use them.
  • If you're going to grab stuff and bolt it in the equivalent b230f block, you'll need the crank and pistons. If you do this, you will get 2.5L.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Here is the problem, with the 16v head on a b230 the thicker round tooth 16v crank gear moves the crank pulley dampener thingy that the alternator belts and such run off of 4mm out more. So what I did was take my aftermarket aluminum front crank pulley and I had 4mm taken off the backside. This way all the factory car b230 accessory brackets like alternator and power steering and water pump all line up properly.

Now your other option is use the boat b230 alternator bracket and alternator which puts alternator on drives side. Also is part of that side motor mount bracket on a boat.

On your car you say it interferes with the timing marker shroud. Are you talking about the boat 16v lower timing shroud thing? You ditch that..

Back