home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #426
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

I bought my B&G's from another TB member; he mistakenly ordered a Sedan kit for his wagon.... and the rear end sat much too low. I know when I was shopping there were several folks "listing" them for sale. You might have to buy from Europe and pay the shipping.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:19 PM   #427
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default "Got them old turbo 4 cylinder 3" exhaust dronin' blues"

Dats right!

Find here the last correction to the final round of changes..... that didn't turn out as hoped.

In the previous version of my DD, I ran a factory 9 series down pipe & CAT, followed by the TME exhaust that IPD sold all those years ago. Never an ill sound came from the exhaust.... it was pretty sweet sounding for a banger. Well with the last hurrah changes of the 3" DP & high flow 3" CAT, then custom connected to that same TME exhaust, something went (as Jeremy Clarkson says) horribly wrong! When cruising the interstate at 70mph, a GOD Awful droning sound came into the cabin, that was unbearable for an old guy like me. The engine would be around 3100 to 3400 rpm when this nasty droning would occur. I simply couldn't drive this sedan to work each day and endure this punishment.

Scouring the web, it seems there are countless stories of turbo 4 cylinder engines, which post "upgrade" to a 3" exhaust all exhibit this irritating tendency. I found two primary solutions; install some fashion of a Helmholz pipe, or add an exhaust resonator to the single muffler. I chose the latter option....

The VIBRANT stainless bottle type 5" got the nod.... reviews were favorable.

The OE location is best to keep the resonator tucked up and away from harm. Subject OE resonator is 6+ inches in diameter, and mine smaller. I bought a replacement resonator mount that I had to reduce diameter, cut & fit so it would clamp tightly on the VIBRANT. I repurposed the old TME pipe hanger with a cascaded set of Volvo factory rubber hangers:

To get the smaller resonator as low as possible (and to fit the basic TME bend in the stainless in front of the axle) I had I had to offset the factory steel hanger mounts about 20mm. Stripped the OE zinc plating in muriatic acid, then welded and finally primer/painted:

And because anal OCD Engineering behavior, it had to be ~ level as well:

With the resonator now properly supported, I needed to determine how much offset I would need to throw into the stainless pipes to mate up properly with the CAT exit. The solution was staring me right in the face..... "the beauty of this plan is in it's simplicity"....

Using the sacrificial straight pipes determine that I needed about 1 1/4" offset, and that amount would level the resonator with the vehicle body. I confirmed the rockers were at about 8* as I had the sedan supported on 6 ton stands; all pipes were properly cut so the TME muffler and Vibrant resonator also hung at 8*.....

After plenty of measuring & checking, I Metabo free hand cut the 2.5 inch stainless mandrel 180* bend I bought. Wall thickness was barely .055", and I think it was 304 stainless which turned out to be a bitch to weld with my MIG machine. How about this fixturing job to prepare for weld?

Old 08-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #428
M.H. Yount
Board Member

nice - anxious to 'hear' how it works
Old 08-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #429
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

This was the Helmholz option I considered, but couldn't find the room to fit. Neat and quite old technology to eliminate droning. Articles abound how to calculate the length needed for your particular engine. From what I've read, if you go this route you want to place the resonator as far forward in your exhaust system as possible..... say, right at the down pipe where it planes out below the floorpan.

http://synapseengineering.com/synaps...s/nodrone.html
Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 PM   #430
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Lots of V8 Mustang guys use the 1/4 wave tubes to cancel out drone. At same rpm, IIRC, the 4 bangers take a tube twice as long which is often problematic.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #431
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
At same rpm, IIRC, the 4 bangers take a tube twice as long which is often problematic.
Another reason for more cylinders

Yes, one article I read was a turbo Subie Outback I think..... the resonator J pipe was quite long.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #432
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Another reason for more cylinders
I finally just gave in ---- OEM mufflers solved the problem.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #433
redblockpowered
Board Member

Can you get an objective measure of how loud the car is? Decibels at 70 mph seems to be the norm in magazines although obviously sound is pretty complex and decibels hardly tell the whole story.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #434
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblockpowered View Post
Can you get an objective measure of how loud the car is? Decibels at 70 mph seems to be the norm in magazines although obviously sound is pretty complex and decibels hardly tell the whole story.
If I can get an app installed on the old smart phone, I will gather some data.

Driving the interstate at 70 -75 mph the last days, what's left of the drone is directly proportional to throttle opening. Start climbing a grade, and you can hear it raising it's voice again. The resonator has definitely improved it, but the input is still there.

Once I can determine the peak frequency, I'll look again at the Helmholz J tube solution and see what length would be necessary. Of course, welding this thing to the DP isn't practical as you'd never get it out of the vehicle again without the engine removed. If one were to shorten the DP exit point, and lengthen the entry pipe in front of the CAT, that would be the best location IMO.... if the chassis will handle the length needed.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #435
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I’ve seen them placed all the way at the back of V8 applications. I don’t think where you make the connection is as important as the length being correct to bounce-back a cancelling sound wave.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #436
redblockpowered
Board Member

I have an Android phone and used an app simply called Sound Meter. Seemed effective enough and produced results that made sense.
redblockpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #437
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Been too busy this week, but here's the rest of the install of the VIBRANT resonator.

Once the pipes were all cut and properly fitted, including my 1.25" offset, I assembled it all in final position and tacked everything in place. Every time I do this type of work, I dream of a car lift in the Swedish underground garage! Here, the resonator tacked up:

While the MIG stainless welds are fully functional (it won't fall apart, good penetration), but they certainly don't provide the visual beauty of a proper TIG weld. I won't zoom in on my MIG welds for the shame of it...... but function is what I'm after here for a DD.

The complete installed resonator tucks up nicely in nearly the stock position. I have retained a slip joint at the CAT exit, and the V band clamp at the CAT entrance makes it all removable.

My original TME remains...... I can't imagine fitting a larger muffler in the rear position; you might gain another couple inches of OAL but that would be it.

With the machine on the concrete, the VIBRANT is tucked up at nearly the height of the fuel tank right behind it. My DP exit hanger is the lowest point of the entire system. Now both the TME and the VIBRANT are level when the vehicle is sitting at ride height...... my original TME install had an odd angle of the exhaust tip which always annoyed me. My Engineering brain is satisfied.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #438
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Looks loverly
Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #439
Vol242vo
Board Member

Job well done.