home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #176
M.H. Yount
Board Member

The conical on mine sits in the same location - behind the passenger side head light. I've checked intake air temps with the phone app -- they seem to run about ambient, maybe 5-10F warmer when it's really toasty in the summer, so that's a decent spot for keeping warmer air out of the motor.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #177
brickcupra
Board Member

Default outside temp

hey thanks for the tip. Well since im running a turbo the colder the better. I got from a 86 civic wagon a screen that goes on top of thr carb for free and almost fits the hole so im planning to adapt it for looks as well.
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #178
jjona5
Board Member

This is awesome. makes me think a coyote would fit as well. Great job
jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #179
aidanahunter
Board Member

I think it's time for an update. The wagon has been doing very well so far.

After the Northern Michigan trip, it was time to finally get rid of the donor. Before that happened, I took some symbolic photos of the two cars together.

After that, it was time for the flatbed. I gave the car away to a local scrap yard for free on the condition that I could keep the wheels. The next day, I went to the yard and removed the wheels as the car was held in the air by a skid steer.

The wagon went on a trip to Winona, MN for business. My colleagues up there were all thrilled to see it since I had been telling them about it for the last year. I also took it to the shop that shortened the driveshaft to show them the application.

Winona, MN is a town directly on the Mississippi river, so that topography up there is stunning with bluffs everywhere you look. It was great to finally have the opportunity to drive it down Highway 61 along the river for the first time.

On the way home from this trip, I finally floored it for the first time. The car moves! This video is not the first time, but it is my favorite video I was able to take that day.

4.6 32V 240 Wagon
aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #180
aidanahunter
Board Member

Next, the wagon was taken on a long trip to Grand Lake, CO. Originally I had planned to take our E91 BMW for this trip since it is mostly highway driving through Kansas and eastern Colorado. At this time, the Volvo is not geared well at all for this kind of driving. It'll do it, but it will get 20mpg when we could be getting 30 in the E91. I decided that if I didn't take the Volvo on this trip, I would regret it. So we took it.

It did very well this entire trip. I made the mistake of buying some 85 octane fuel and I think there was a little knocking at hot starts, but that's about it. It had no issues climbing the mountains and the coolant temp remained below 215 F the entire way. In general, for cruising, it likes to hang out around 185 or 190.

I talked about my Mark VIII that kind of sparked all of this in the first post of this thread but haven't shown any pictures of it. Now is an appropriate time, since I had the opportunity to take a picture of the Volvo in the (almost) same place I took one of my favorite pictures of my Mark VIII in 2014. Here they are, side by side.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #181
aidanahunter
Board Member

Now for some fun stuff. In post #22, I talked about putting the Mark VIII wheels on the Volvo when all is said and done. Last weekend, I finally made that a reality with some custom wheel adapters from motorsport-tech.com. I'd recommend these guys. The owner called me about my specs before they started cutting metal just to make sure I wasn't insane! The set of adapters shipped was $265. I used a 19mm thickness adapter to make the 39mm offset of the Mark VIII wheel equal to the Volvo's 20mm offset. The Lincoln's wheels are 16x7 compared to the Volvo's 14x5.5 wheels, so an extra 3/4" sticks out on each side. I used 205/55R16 tires making the wheel assembly diameter almost equal to the originals, but a little bit bigger.

Putting the adapters on was a bit of a chore. I didn't realize, but should have realized, that the Volvo hub studs need to be shortened. Torquing the adapters down was an adventure as well. I used my handy dandy busted broom handle to help with that.

These wheels are notoriously hideous on a Mark VIII. The worst stock wheels you can have on the car. But on the Volvo? Something insane happens. I love it.

The tires tuck right in, front and back, without the need for any fender rolling.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #182
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Wow. You’ve been busy! Those wheels actually look really nice on the wagon!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #183
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Awesome progress and trip reports. I'm jealous you got yours done so quickly. But happy to read that you're driving it and enjoying it.

The wheels have an almost gothic look to them on the 240, like an old French cathedral or something. Some custom center caps might look sweet on there and finish it off.

Obligatory: needz moar low!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #184
v8volvo
Board Member

Looks and sounds great, and kudos for really putting it to use. Swaps like this are always cool, but ten times more so when you put in the effort to get them to the point where you can rely on them and actually put on some miles that you enjoy.

Well done!
99 T4 Eurovan 1.9 TDI swapped
02 F250 SD 5.4/4R100
v8volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 PM   #185
brickcupra
Board Member

Default lincoln wheels

Holy Molly !!!! your wagon has a helluva character now!!! Glad to hear all is going well with the project.
Would like to get toghether once mine is done Take care
DZ
Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #186
aidanahunter
Board Member

Since this wagon is originally a North Carolina car with absolutely no rust, this just might be the first time it has ever seen salt. I took it back to Minnesota again, but this time coming out of Missouri there was really nasty winter weather. Salt and sand trucks were out doing their thing and the car was basically white the next day after everything had dried. I'm mostly posting about this to share pictures of what happened on the front wheels. The snow/slush formation is crazy! Car performed flawlessly otherwise. The heater on these cars is way too good.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 PM   #187
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Haha. That’s pretty cool, now get that salt and sand off your wagon stat!
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #188
aidanahunter
Board Member

Hope everyone had a happy holiday season. The 32V Volvo sure did. It's time for an update!

Since that last trip through the salt and snow, I've mainly been driving it to work on day when the roads aren't salty. It's been totally solid, no issues. But I'm still disappointed in my fuel economy of 20mpg highway.

I was browsing craigslist the other day and saw an ad for a wrecked 5-speed car part out in St. Louis, 2 hours from my place. It was an 87 with 100k miles on it. Knowing those have the 3.31 rear end, I contacted the seller and asked if they would be ok with the car no longer having a rear axle. We agreed on a price and I pulled it out the following weekend with the help of a friend. The only trip we had to take to the hardware store was for a 22mm socket. Now I'm just waiting on fresh brake parts and bushings for the trailing arms and torque rods. Hoping these next few weekends aren't too cold!

Of course this wouldn't be a proper trip if I didn't use the Volvo to take the axle home. I actually ended up using every tool I brought...cutting wheel and all!

Old 01-14-2020, 02:07 PM   #189
v8volvo
Board Member

Sounds like fun. What's in it now? 3.73?

Would be interesting to do a couple of timed 1/4 mile runs with the current axle and the new one to see what the difference is. Should be more than fast enough either way though, and like you I'd trade a few tenths in the quarter mile for an extra few mpg on the highway.

Any thoughts of putting in a locker or TrueTrac while you've got the axle out? Seems like it'd be the time for it and with skinny Volvo tires and all that torque you could probably make use of it. Someone on here used to sell tone rings to mount on the truetrac to keep the electronic speedo working.

Speaking of tone rings, be aware that at least in the 700 series cars there was a switch at some point in the late '80s from a low resolution speedo pickup tone ring to a higher resolution one that could better support the three-channel ABS. 12t vs ~40t I think, though don't quote me. Using one in place of the other will result in an inop speedo and odo. '87 axle into a '90 car might mean you will have to deal with this since the 700s had the higher resolution setup by then, unless 240s kept the old style longer. Worst case you could probably put in an early style speedo head to make things work if this happens and you don't feel like with the diff.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #190
aidanahunter
Board Member

I have a 3.73 now. Based on my research, this 87 diff should also have a 12 tooth tone ring since both cars did not have ABS. I've looked into the TrueTrac or G80 mod and it's been a little overwhelming to take in all the info that's out there. I want 3.31 or lower gears and it seems, based on my research, that the TrueTrac's mainly fit the 3.73 and higher gearsets. It's a headache I frankly don't quite want to deal with given how I use the car, but it will certainly remain on the table for the future. That being said, I welcome enlightenment from anyone wishing to provide it on the topic of using 3.31 gears with a TrueTrac.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #191
Lankku
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Sounds like fun. What's in it now? 3.73?
Speaking of tone rings, be aware that at least in the 700 series cars there was a switch at some point in the late '80s from a low resolution speedo pickup tone ring to a higher resolution one that could better support the three-channel ABS. 12t vs ~40t I think, though don't quote me. Using one in place of the other will result in an inop speedo and odo. '87 axle into a '90 car might mean you will have to deal with this since the 700s had the higher resolution setup by then, unless 240s kept the old style longer. Worst case you could probably put in an early style speedo head to make things work if this happens and you don't feel like with the diff.
700 has 48 teeth from model year -89 and up. 240 without ABS got it in -91 or -92.

3.31 works with Truetrac as does any other. Ratio doesn't affect the fitment.
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #192
v8volvo
Board Member

I've had a TrueTrac in a 3.54 axle before (old style 240 with mechanical speedo), haven't ever known anything to suggest they cannot be used in the taller R&P setups.

On the other hand, given that you seem to mainly use the car as a fast highway cruiser rather than for stoplight grand prix, and limit use in the snow, you're probably right that the limited slip diff might not really be of that much benefit. Even the open diff and stock size tires ought to put the power down with no trouble at highway speed, it'd only matter for hard acceleration in the lower gears.

I did the same approach with my '89 745 5.0L back in the day, it had stock 185 width tires on it all the way through my time with it, since I wanted to retain an absolute dead stock outside appearance and get the best highway MPG I could with it. I kept the open diff too, and mine had 3.31 gears from stock, since it began life as an M46 car. It could burn off the tires (or at least one of them!) all the way through THIRD gear if I let it. But I wanted the power for highway passing ability and for that even the skinny tires and open diff were no problem. In 5th (T5 trans) it turned less than 2k RPM at 60mph and could return over 25mpg in pure highway driving if you kept your speed reasonable.

Sounds like you would be in the clear on tone ring compatibility based on Lankku's info above. I didn't know if the 240s switched at the same time as the 700 series did, good to know it's different.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #193
aidanahunter
Board Member

I'm actually running the Mark VIII donor wheels with 205 55 16 all season tires. The only time I really get the tire, singular, to break free is up-shifting at WOT. And that's mainly because the tune I have on the PCM right now has the 4R70W shifting pretty hard. My new parts came in so I will post an update once everything is swapped over.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #194
aidanahunter
Board Member

Axle is out.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #195
brickcupra
Board Member

Default axle out!!!

Hey Im working on my axle as well too !!!
Im cleaning all the crud and rust out to give it a fresh coat of paint, a dana locker, refurbished aluminum cover, cleaned all fasteners with evapurust, rebuilding dust plates and intalling self made adjustable torque rods including a new set of shocks.
It will take a couple of weeks cause im doing it in my spare time.
I have an extra aluminum cover in case you are interested in it. It only needs cleaning.
Good luck and Seeya
DZ
Old 02-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #196
aidanahunter
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcupra View Post
I have an extra aluminum cover in case you are interested in it. It only needs cleaning.
Good luck and Seeya
DZ
Thanks but I am all set with my stock cover.

Axle is in. Along the way I replaced the parking brake pads/hardware, brake flex lines, and the axle to trailing arm bushings. Also found out I had a leaky/stuck caliper on the driver side so I replaced that as well with fresh pads.

The car feels more like a normal 4-speed automatic car now. Before, it was kind of like driving a car with a 6-speed but the last two gears don't work. Now everything feels much more balanced. Highway rpm's at 70mph are now closer to 2200rpm. Speed sensor from the 87 axle was identical to my original, so that was a simple plug and play. Overall very happy with the swap. Updated fuel economy figures TBD. I don't know what exactly I was getting for city mpg with the 3.73, but I'd guess it was about 15. Highway was about 20.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #197
v8volvo
Board Member

Nice work, sounds like a great outcome. 2200 at 70 is presumably pretty close to what it would have been in the Lincoln. Probably makes 3rd a great gear for secondary roads with OD locked out, and OD an ideal highway gear.

I'd be surprised if you see much of a change in city MPG with the taller gears but bet you'll get a nice bump on the highway.

The Lincoln wheels look sharp on it, you're definitely the only one out there running those.