home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #51
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Don't propus wheels use adapters? Take the brakes into consideration when getting spacers/adapters? What brackets do you plan on using?
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #52
Chumley360
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
Don't propus wheels use adapters? Take the brakes into consideration when getting spacers/adapters? What brackets do you plan on using?
Yeah I'm running 25mm adapters all around. I haven't decided on the adapters yet. I'm going to try custom brackets with Benz/Brembo 4-pot calipers that I've got laying around. They are similar in size to the R calipers, I don't have the measurements in hand ATM but I have done the comparisons. They'll work with the stock R rotors. If I don't feel like dealing with them or get short on time I'll just go with a traditional R conversion. Just wondering on the wheels, I really like them and would prefer not to change them. But I'll need tires soon so now is a good time to change to a larger wheel.

1995 940t
Chumley360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #53
Chumley360
Board Member

Got the coil and driver mounted up, replaced the spark plugs and made some custom plug cables. The car runs, but runs poorly. I checked the pinout from the WS-board, and if I swap those two the car turns into a cranking no-start. So I'm pretty sure I've got my wiring and firing order correct. I went ahead and swapped the coil & cables for the stock dizzy back and the engine runs 100% smoother. I did that mainly for peace of mind to make sure that the new plugs weren't damaged and that it's not extremely poor idle during the re-learn with the new chips. Tomorrow I'll ohm out the custom cables and pull the ignition box back out and check over my connections. Dollars to doughnuts I screwed up a connection on the WS board.

WS-coilbracket WS-coilbracket3 WS-coilmount WS-coilmount3 WS-igndriver
Old 09-02-2019, 12:01 PM   #54
Chumley360
Board Member

Went back trough everything and nothing jumped out as wrong, so I pulled the EZK and just redid everything. That seems to have fixed the issue. I guess 30 years of using my hands as hammers hasn't given me the steadiest of hands these days, but that's life. I still need to pull the dizzy, pop in the Dee Works plug, change the oil and figure out what my exhaust has started to vibrate against at idle/low speed. That's for a different day, now it's time to enjoy whats left of this three day weekend.

WS-mountedfull
Old 09-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #55
Chumley360
Board Member

Got the distributor out, Deeworks plug in, installed the AC compressor tensioning bolt & lock bolt, and started painting the valve cover.

WS-dizzyoutWS-dizzyplugvalvecover1valvecover2
Old 09-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #56
Chumley360
Board Member

So the original plan with the valve cover was to paint the whole thing that green color, then just hit the raised top of the letters in the orange I've been using. But after looking at it today I think I'm going to leave the top of the letters green and paint that whole center raised panel and oil fill area orange. Guess I'd better figure it out by tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #57
Chumley360
Board Member

Finished up the valve cover and found that the exhaust was rubbing my chassis plate. Clearanced the plate so hopefully I won't have that issue anymore, might end up making a third motor mount but hopefully not. My tape off skills are kinda weak, so I had to do a bunch of touch-up to the lettering on the valve cover, but I think it looks good enough. I'm not going for show car, just cleaned up and a little more visually appealing. I still haven't figured out exactly what drivetrain I want in this car. It'll probably just end up staying stock and gotten rid of before I finish it. I've got to get some tires for this one and my Wrangler needs the front end rebuilt, and I've got a kid showing up anytime in the next few weeks. With all that happening I think all my "big plans" will stop.

valvecover3valvecover6valvecover5valvecover4
Old 09-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #58
Chumley360
Board Member

Cover is back on, oil is changed, time to get the chassis plate back on and changer some dash bulbs.

valvecover7