home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #451
Broke4speed
Board Member

Today was a very good day to inadvertently get cool parts for the car. I went to buy some wheels (15x8 25.4ET from a Jeep TJ), and while I was killing time, I went to an old school euro parts yard and found a decent turbo grille and later speaker covers. They've also got a couple of cars I could pull manual swap parts from...but it would be difficult. They pile the cars, so climbing is involved.

Their lineup of RWD Volvos was interesting: A couple 86-89 cars, an airbag one (couldn't tell year), a bertone coupe (really want the steering wheel, but I'd have to smash a window to get it :(), a 146 (manual with the B30 I think), a 780 Bertone coupe, an assortment of 7s and 9s (at least one 16v), and a bunch of half-flattened 240 carcasses of unknown year. The pricing at this yard is...painful, though. Everything the guy has is 'rare' or 'his last one', and he pulls prices out of his butt, so the cool stuff is going to be $$$. It really depends how badly you want what he's got, ultimately.

...I kinda really want that 16v...
Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #452
Broke4speed
Board Member

Finally rocking the correct grille .

Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:39 PM   #453
Broke4speed
Board Member

I ordered a set of 25mm adapters...but needed staggered. A bit of time at work on the metal lathe fixed that. Now I have 25 & 15 .
Old 08-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #454
Broke4speed
Board Member

Aaaaand because I can't stand lugcentric BS, I made hubcentric inserts at work. I'm not a great machinist, but I can get things done with enough time. Now my chinabay spacers are hubcentric to the hub and to the wheel. Good thing my current boss is a car guy.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #455
Broke4speed
Board Member

Jeep TJ 'Ravines', 15x8 w/ 25ET. 25mm adapter in the rear and 15mm adapter in the front. 205/55-15 BFGoodrich G-Force TAs (yeah they're old, but they were free). I trimmed 10mm out of the rear arch lip, but it's not low enough to even warrant it. They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I dig the look .

Old 09-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #456
Broke4speed
Board Member

PROJECT TIME! :D

As much as I'd love to covert to manual, the costs involved make it beyond my budget. Even a busted WC T5 goes for $400+ in this area, and then the other costs need to be factored in (adapter, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, driveshaft, shifter, pedal cluster, master cylinder, slave cylinder, etc). After all that...I'd have a transmission with a possible limit of 300hp. The other option (CD009) is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above what I'm willing to pay...so there's only one other option: stay automatic!

Enter a JDM 2JZ-GTE tiptronic box from an Aristo. These things always come attached to the JDM engines at the importer, and nobody wants them. I got this for less than $100 CAD, and it's MINT. It's the tiptronic box, which means nothing ultimately, but they tend to be very low KM boxes...and this one shows it. I've counted the input shaft splines, and I think the Volvo 960 torque converter will fit. That would make the swap a lot easier .
Old 09-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #457
Broke4speed
Board Member

Because I will eventually need them...a bunch of parts were acquired today. Pedal box/firewall plate/clutch cable, front driveshaft portion, transmission crossmember, and an M47 bellhousing to use with a T5 adapter. I plan on staying auto for now, but I know that I will definitely get bored and want to swap...and these were a good trade .

Old 09-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #458
Broke4speed
Board Member

Did a couple of things and have a couple of things in the works. Added the Borgeson fluid pressure control shims to my power steering pump to sort the twitchy nonsense. Worked well.

I'm going to drop some spare hubs off at the machine shop to get re-drilled to 5x114.3 because there's something slightly out-of-whack with my front adapter setup. The rears are great...but I didn't touch those, so clearly the variable is my machine work.

The best bit is that I've solved my boost creep and now I get a steady 5 psi no matter what. It's not a lot of added oomph from stock, but stable boost means I can properly map the fuel table, and that makes me happy .