home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
didenpx
Board Member

Default P1800E Horn Wiring

Trying to figure out where the steering gear end of the wire from the horn pad is supposed to terminate. Despite all the photos I took and all of the online resources (e.g. parts catalog) I don't see an obvious answer.

1970 1800E (Project Roedluvan:http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...highlight=1970)
1977 242DL "Senf" (Summer Cruiser)
2x1973 1800 ES (Project Reanimator; disassembly and parts detailing to begin Winter 2020)
didenpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
hiperfauto
Board Member

The horn wire is connected via an inline crimp connector to a black wire that breaks out of the harness near the left front headlight/turn signal connectors. It terminates at the horn relay which is next to the headlight dipper relay.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
didenpx
Board Member

Thanks Ian.

This one then?

[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]

Next stupid question: where is it supposed to enter the steering column so that it can make its way up to the horn pad?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
didenpx
Board Member

Never mind: just ran out to look at my 73 parts car and I see that the black wire there that splits out from the harness is for the brake failure light.

I'm working with a new VP harness and there is a very long black wire that hadn't yet found a home that splits out where the headlight connectors are.

On this harness it seems to have the length to make its way up the steering column but still not sure where it's supposed to enter. I need to double check but that I believe that black wire has continuity to another orphan black wire that is under the dash right near the wiring for the cigarette lighter; does that make any sense?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
hiperfauto
Board Member

No, it's closer to the core support. ^ That's the wire for the brake warning valve switch.

The horn wire goes through a tube in the plate at the end of the box. You're going to have difficulty getting it past the rubber coupler, especially if you didn't poke a hole in the membrane of the new one. Also, there's a metal pin that goes through the steering shaft towards the top that will be difficult to get the wire past.
hiperfauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
didenpx
Board Member

perfect Ian; thanks very much!