home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
littlesnides
Board Member

Default Speedometer circuit

While replacing my parking brake cable, I accidentally broke my speedo wires at the connector. So I took apart the connector and resoldered wires into it.

Edit: just realized this posted incomplete!

Long story short, I got the wires backwards and now my speedometer doesn’t work. Would anyone know if it’s a fuse, sensor or maybe the speedo I have burned up?

Last edited by littlesnides; 09-05-2019 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Incomplete
littlesnides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

It's not a high level signal so I doubt you would have burned anything up. You probably don't have good continuity to the sensor. I would try checking the resistance of the wiring measuring from the speedo connector to the connector on the rear axle. You can use something like a paper clip to short the terminals in the wiring and meausre at the connector for the speedo in the dash. Or make a really long test wire with alligator clips on the end so you can test the wiring indiviidually. If the wiring has high resistance after your soldering it could kill the signal level making it unreadable by the speedometer.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

There are members here who sell the connector and pins so you can repair it with new parts. hiperfauto and dave barton can provide you with what you need.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
bobxyz
Board Member

If you're talking about the 2-pin connector that comes from the sensor on the differential, it doesn't matter which way the 2 wires are connected (original or swapped is fine). Check that your repair is good and that the connector isn't corroded. cleanflametrap has a writeup somewhere on how to diagnose this sort of failure.
bobxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
littlesnides
Board Member

Ah ok, good to know-

I checked continuity between my new solder and the butt connector I made. Maybe I need to check further back. Made sure I squeezed the old connectors a little tighter so they snapped down into place snug as well. Thanks for the tips and I will do some more research.
littlesnides is offline   Reply With Quote