home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #651
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club
 
Harlard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PDX
Default

You could also save yourself the ballache and use nord-locks if they fit. As for accessing them in the car, yes I agree, they are awful. I actually miss mitsubishi turbos for that reason

As for the downpipe, I mean that could work. That mentioned, do you ever plan on having air conditioning in that car?

As for patting self in back, I am always in a state of near mental-breakdown as I have zero trust in my mechanical abilities left.
__________________


Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #652
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

here's a picture to reference for routing. This was BEFORE the plug wire. You can see how the DP trends inwards towards #4. #3 and #4 are now pulled in tight against the head so I've eliminated any of the direct contact.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
You could also save yourself the ballache and use nord-locks if they fit. As for accessing them in the car, yes I agree, they are awful. I actually miss mitsubishi turbos for that reason

As for the downpipe, I mean that could work. That mentioned, do you ever plan on having air conditioning in that car?
Ayup, think I might throw nord-locks on it now as I have the size on hand. Will probably go after the lock wire still, I look at so much of it on hardware at work I kinda want to play with it..

Aircon; nah, nowhere in the plans. If it ever happened it would be a vintage air setup. Hell my Viggen doesn't even have healthy air conditioning. I've only ever had one DD with functional aircon and that was when I lived in northern vermont!
__________________
'79 242
943 pickup
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #653
Cwazywazy
Single jingle
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

Would it be easier to wrap the downpipe?
__________________
I don't know what I have
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #654
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
Would it be easier to wrap the downpipe?
maybe? Was never sure if the ceramic coating on the old downpipe actually helped or not now that ya mention it.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit of an aesthete under the hood and I ****ing hate header wrap and turbo blankets . Don't ask me why! Just a thing I have.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #655
Cwazywazy
Single jingle
 
Cwazywazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Granby CT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I'll be honest, I'm a bit of an aesthete under the hood and I ****ing hate header wrap and turbo blankets . Don't ask me why! Just a thing I have.
I'm the opposite. I like a turbo that looks nice and cozy.

Fiberglass wrap does suck to work with though..
Cwazywazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #656
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwazywazy View Post
I'm the opposite. I like a turbo that looks nice and cozy.

Fiberglass wrap does suck to work with though..
yes it does! my hands are still a little itchy today just from goofing around with the spark plug boots.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #657
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor
 
Hank Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The neighborhood with the ******* guitar player.
Default

IF if makes you feel better, the T5R had a stubborn no start for nearly a year. I ended up pulling the entire drivetrain, went thru the harness everything. Couldn't find anything wrong, put it back together, wouldn't start.

Finally someone says "hey is the ground on the coil tight?" "Ofcourse it is, look at it, the wire is parallel to ground, if it was loose it wouldn't be" "have you checked" ... checks and finds just the slightest loose connection... "**** ME".

Seriously, if it would start and vibrate enough to keep a good(ish) ground but when I shut the car off it would be just lose enough to not let the coil fire. What a PITA. Reminds me of your plug wire!
__________________
Hank Scorpio is from the Simpsons. You can call me Doug ;)
Will trade guitars/guitar parts for go fast goodies or stuff I need. Just PM.
www.kauerguitars.com the second best way to upset neighbors and alienate people.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #658
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt
 
Duder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Default

Sorry to hear about your recent issues, but man this car is sounding and looking super sweet. Definitely something to be proud of regardless of how many silly failures may pop up.

Regarding the turbine clamp issue, here's the background info I can offer:
  • BorgWarner EFR use a bolt-and-tab clamp arrangement from the center housing to the turbine housing, which you're obviously familiar with. I don't remember the fastener size or details but maybe post that up if you can.
  • Garrett GT28-30-35R (including GTX) use 6 x M8 bolts with two half-circular clamps, and though they can be a PITA to tighten or loosen, they are durable in the field. The bolts are made from a refractory steel alloy. I've seen thousands of used turbos in this size range in the past 15 years with nary an issue other than the occasional broken bolt after hard use and oxidation. For that reason I'd always recommend something like Jet-Lube 550 or other high temp antiseize on those bolts.
  • That same GT/GTX product line when fitted with a 3rd party thin-wall stainless turbine housing using M6 fasteners had tons of issues. I shouldn't name names but it was a well-known manufacturer that makes sexy looking turbine housings. They went to smaller M6 fasteners for geometrical/design reasons (tight job packaging a turbine volute with a bolted joint in that area) and ended up with loosening issues, broken bolts, and headaches. I believe they settled on M6 Inconel studs as a permanent but costly fix.
  • The new Garrett G-series product line uses v-band joints between turbine and center housing on all frame sizes. Bigger products like GT(X)42R and up have always used v-bands here, but now it has trickled down to the smaller stuff as well. After years of top-level motorsport experience I can say this works without any issues as long as the v-band clamps themselves are good quality parts and the right grade of stainless.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #659
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

thanks guys! and Professor Turbo a seat in your class is always appreciated.

I finally bit the bullet and did the front bumper trim job. It was actually a pain in the ass compared to the back trim. Not sure why, just seemed to take forever to find the right placement for the front clips. Are the lower panels different on skinny bumper cars at all?

I also fiddled around with the bumper cover and got rid of the sagging sides. That combined with the better matched trim on the fenders made the little bit of a fight worth it, I think.





I'd be all over a NOS set of this trim if anyone has the impossible. Actually I'd be interested in NOS grill and headlight bezels too.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #660
RvolvoR
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

Headlight bezels were still available new as of a year or two ago...take luck with the trim and grille. I know somebody who searched for an NOS grille and paid $400 ish for one from a parts stash in Sweden 5-6 year ago.


And yes, all of the trim holes are in different spots.
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #661
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
Headlight bezels were still available new as of a year or two ago...take luck with the trim and grille. I know somebody who searched for an NOS grille and paid $400 ish for one from a parts stash in Sweden 5-6 year ago.


And yes, all of the trim holes are in different spots.
Sorry didn’t mean the holes, that was obvious. Wasn’t sure if the skinny bumper cars had the same lip at the front edge of the panels. Seemed to make fitting the trim finicky.

Figured on the grill and trim. Would be nice to find a really good grill but everything the stuff is so old now
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #662
RvolvoR
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: PDX
Default

yeah, the sheetmetal is the same other than where the holes are punched
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:25 AM   #663
slow240
Home Schooled
 
slow240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Suffolk VA
Default

Wow, that trim made a huge aesthetic difference...

As always, the car looks phenomenal and makes me feel completely inadequate lol, keep it up
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #664
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW Georgia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
maybe? Was never sure if the ceramic coating on the old downpipe actually helped or not now that ya mention it.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit of an aesthete under the hood and I ****ing hate header wrap and turbo blankets . Don't ask me why! Just a thing I have.
While I love the symmetry of the straight pipe leaving the turbine, I cannot imagine how you will overcome ignition issues with the proximity of that pipe. Is there no way to roll the pipe toward the strut tower so that you could insulate the pipe and protect your ignition coils & wires? I love your craftsmanship, but I fear you will not achieve the desired reliability with your exhaust arrangement. Do you have an IR gun (or thermocouple & Fluke) to get some temp data?
__________________
Project "cheap thrills" build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...67#post4211467

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #665
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
While I love the symmetry of the straight pipe leaving the turbine, I cannot imagine how you will overcome ignition issues with the proximity of that pipe. Is there no way to roll the pipe toward the strut tower so that you could insulate the pipe and protect your ignition coils & wires? I love your craftsmanship, but I fear you will not achieve the desired reliability with your exhaust arrangement. Do you have an IR gun (or thermocouple & Fluke) to get some temp data?
do have an IR gun although I'm not sure it's going to provide any revelations (that thing's hot!).

I think with my level two mistake proofing of an airgap on the plug wires will help quite a bit. Level three is the obvious solution which is that I need a heat shield. There should be a few good solutions there once I take the time to make a project out of it.

Otherwise no, without rebuilding the downpipe significantly I can't move it out; and at this point don't want to chase it.

Last edited by Stiggy Pop; 09-17-2019 at 11:25 AM..
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #666
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

mmm September in New England, no better place in the country. 50* in the mornings, 70* in the afternoon, no humidity... car is loving it!

I should report that after the flurry of activity with the burnt out plug wire I had a nice successful cruise down to Lime Rock Park and a showing in their Sunday concours. Part of the reason the wire caused me so much agita was because I had a plan to meet someone at the show, and finally, FINALLY, someone took pictures of the car with something that isn't a telephone. Going to keep the details in my pocket (lest it fall through) but hoping I have something cool to share from this in a month or two.





I am not having such luck with my quest to pull in a complete set of NOS stainless DL side trim. I've been working on this for a couple months now, I've sourced and paid for all of the parts but GETTING them here is proving to be difficult. Half the set exists (apparently) only at this one warehouse in Germany. I've bought up every piece they have available but we're at an impasse with shipping; they cannot find a carrier willing to take a ~200cm long package to Sweden, where we're going to have VP ship it to the U.S.

The remaining pieces were supposed to be easy. Volvo Parts Webstore listed them as available, I paid, waited, they shipped. Great! Except when they arrived instead of intact trim I got an impressive display of packaging incompetence. After waiting 6 weeks for the parts they took two heavy cardboard tubes (good) stuck them end-to-end, whipped some packing tape around it and shipped it (stupid). No surprise to anyone with eyes and a brain that the structural packing tape failed and three pieces of NOS trim turned into pretzels.

I don't even care about refunds and all that, I'm just really really angry that they were this careless with it. If you boners on here can ship me trim in one piece a damn dealership should be able to figure it out.





Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #667
slow240
Home Schooled
 
slow240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Suffolk VA
Default

Woooowwww that is shameful. Hopefully you can get this all rectified
slow240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #668
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240 View Post
Woooowwww that is shameful. Hopefully you can get this all rectified
I said to someone online yesterday I don't even like having the ruined trim, it feels like bad Volvo voodoo. I think because I'm working so hard to get the other pieces from Germany, seeing these sticks ruined for no good reason really ticked me off.

Just got off with Oak Park... eh, kid at a parts counter it was about what I expected. He was nice, said he understood and they'd definitely package it better next time, but I'm sure they don't care. They are re-ordering the pieces, so it'll be another 3-6 week backorder and then hope they follow through and pack it right. My concern is that they are going to call me back and say "ohhh sorry dude, no more available here's your refund" then my whole mission is tanked. Hopefully not how it plays out!
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #669
GTJordan
Been here for too long
 
GTJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Edmonton AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
I said to someone online yesterday I don't even like having the ruined trim, it feels like bad Volvo voodoo. I think because I'm working so hard to get the other pieces from Germany, seeing these sticks ruined for no good reason really ticked me off.

Just got off with Oak Park... eh, kid at a parts counter it was about what I expected. He was nice, said he understood and they'd definitely package it better next time, but I'm sure they don't care. They are re-ordering the pieces, so it'll be another 3-6 week backorder and then hope they follow through and pack it right. My concern is that they are going to call me back and say "ohhh sorry dude, no more available here's your refund" then my whole mission is tanked. Hopefully not how it plays out!
Give me a PM with the part numbers. I can see how many are available at the warehouses.

Honestly, it may have come from the warehouse looking like that. We've been getting things like rotors stacked on top of trim pieces. Its horse ****. Those dealer guys might have had no idea what they were looking at and just wrapped up what they received. Lots of dealers just have shipper receiver minimum wage type guys doing that job.

Sucks over all.
__________________
80 242- 2.5L 16V, NIW intake/exhaust, T5, Porsche brakes, short billies and Kaplenkhe suspension, Trutrack.
Project Thread- http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324470
GTJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #670
matt b
Board Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson
Default

Is the German warehouse willing to ship to Germany ? If so, I may be able to help you. A buddy flies to see his GF every month, does Berlin to Stockholm and he would be willing to take some with him if needed.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #671
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
Is the German warehouse willing to ship to Germany ? If so, I may be able to help you. A buddy flies to see his GF every month, does Berlin to Stockholm and he would be willing to take some with him if needed.
I love this place! Generous offer. From what G&W has said they can't even get DHL to pick the thing up in Germany. I tried them at 4am EST today but didn't catch anyone. I'll send you a quick PM.
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM   #672
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NW Georgia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
do have an IR gun although I'm not sure it's going to provide any revelations (that thing's hot!).

I think with my level two mistake proofing of an airgap on the plug wires will help quite a bit. Level three is the obvious solution which is that I need a heat shield. There should be a few good solutions there once I take the time to make a project out of it.

Otherwise no, without rebuilding the downpipe significantly I can't move it out; and at this point don't want to chase it.
Understood. Just read a review of the mid ship Vette LT2 engine..... since the headers exit HIGH the GM Engineers mounted all the ignition coils alongside the block down low and ran the wires UP to the plugs. Since your exhaust is also topside, that could be a solution for your issue. Good luck.
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #673
Stiggy Pop
Board Member
 
Stiggy Pop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Granville, MA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Understood. Just read a review of the mid ship Vette LT2 engine..... since the headers exit HIGH the GM Engineers mounted all the ignition coils alongside the block down low and ran the wires UP to the plugs. Since your exhaust is also topside, that could be a solution for your issue. Good luck.
interesting! Thanks for the input I'll keep an open mind when I'm staring at it.



Got a hold of my favorite Germans, the guy's buddy is going to fly over to Sweden next Wednesday and is still willing to carry the trim for me, he'll drop it off with VP, then it'll make it's way over in a container. Over the river and through the woods..
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.