home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #1376
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Yeah, I used a surge/drain tank and a scavenge pump. The way the turbo sits is fairly low, and there's crossover pipes and wastegates between it and the block, I dunno, I just sort of punted on trying to get a good gravity drain and just tucked it all into the space inside the front fender corner. Drilled a hole for the drain pipe, into a little tank (1L, +/-) and a pump that pushes the oil back up to the oil cap on the passenger valve cover.

And I am using a GM bypass valve on the heater lines: https://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-.../dp/B004AF34DQ

It's used on some GM crapboxes. When the heater circuit is open, the coolant flows through it. When the heater valve closes - pressure builds up and pushes a valve open and it short-cuts the heater and returns. Seems to work, just by feeling the lines. When I have the heat off in the car both of the engine side hoses stay hot and the heater side is cooler. Turn the heat on in the car and they're all hot.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #1377
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

I need that.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #1378
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
I need that.
I dont but Im curious if this would get an even cooler ac when the heater valve is completely closed.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #1379
JohnMc
PV Abuser

And there was no issue with the thermostat length. Not sure if that's jsut another case where the LH8 is a weird mix of Gen3 and Gen4 components (a good mix, FWIW) but the 2005 Corvette water pump and the 2008 Hummer water pump both use the same length thermostats. So at least I put in a lower temp thermostat. It never actually overheated, dunno, I was just a bit nervous watching that temp gauge.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #1380
cosbySweater
Board Member

What does the temp sit around during normal driving? mine sits around 185-190 max. except when i get stuck in super ****ty bay area traffic for hours on end, ive seen it get nuclear hot a few times but nothing bad has ever really happened. one time it did lock up but it was well over 280, temp gun said somewhere in the low 300s. i did initially have issues with the volvo heater control valve causing a overheat situation when i had it on the coolest setting. now i just set it to the middle and close the vents and its fine.
2013 VW Passat TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #1381
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I haven't really driven it enough so far, lol. It warms up and sits at around 200. Then I romped on it a few times, and it started creeping up to 205 - 210. I just thought it should keep a bit cooler is all. It was a fairly hot day.

The new thermostat is a bit lower. I may have overreacted with a 160-degree thermostat. But I didn't like seeing water boil off the valve covers.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #1382
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I haven't really driven it enough so far, lol. It warms up and sits at around 200. Then I romped on it a few times, and it started creeping up to 205 - 210. I just thought it should keep a bit cooler is all. It was a fairly hot day.

The new thermostat is a bit lower. I may have overreacted with a 160-degree thermostat. But I didn't like seeing water boil off the valve covers.
The damn low. I see 190-204º on a regular basis. I've seen up to 216º on really hot days with ac blasting. I know these engines see 210º on regular basis in the work trucks on the tv shows.
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #1383
cosbySweater
Board Member

its a efi engine, they like to run hotter, 210 is totally normal on these. hell my old c4 vette normal operating temp was 230 and the fans wouldnt come on till 236. if you take it to the track just dont hot lap it
Old 09-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #1384
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
its a efi engine, they like to run hotter, 210 is totally normal on these. hell my old c4 vette normal operating temp was 230 and the fans wouldnt come on till 236. if you take it to the track just dont hot lap it
exactly
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #1385
JohnMc
PV Abuser

It's sitting at around 180 degrees now. I'm good with that.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #1386
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Drove it to work this morning. And had another small fire when I got there - very small, just one spark plug wire on fire. 2nd one back on the passenger side. The header is VERY unaccommodating to spark plug wires there. After the last set of fried wires (long ones that wrapped around back and came up the middle) I tried regular (high temp) short wires going down and straight to the plugs (with titanium socks). But I couldn't fit that 135 degree boot onto that plug, so I reused on of my older wires and did a short loop around and under the header on the side. That's the one that caught fire. I guess I need to do a longer wire back around and under again.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #1387
vwbusman66
Eisen-Stein

Quote:
Drove it to work this morning. And had another small fire when I got there - very small, just one spark plug wire on fire. 2nd one back on the passenger side. The header is VERY unaccommodating to spark plug wires there. After the last set of fried wires (long ones that wrapped around back and came up the middle) I tried regular (high temp) short wires going down and straight to the plugs (with titanium socks). But I couldn't fit that 135 degree boot onto that plug, so I reused on of my older wires and did a short loop around and under the header on the side. That's the one that caught fire. I guess I need to do a longer wire back around and under again.
So MountainMeet?
It's all just lifter noise til it comes out the side.
vwbusman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #1388
JohnMc
PV Abuser

If I can get this 'catching fire' thing worked out. Heh.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #1389
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
I ended up spacing the passenger coils up off of the valve cover, running the wires back and under the manifold, and I think I used 90 degree boots as well (MSD kit and some other kit for the 90 degree pieces). the wires are run inside of heat shield, and I think the front two have additional high temp stuff on them.

prior to that, I couldn't keep front wires intact for more than a couple of weeks no matter what I did. So, proximity is a problem, and they absolutely cannot be touching the header even if they're wrapped.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #1390
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I guess socks/wrap/insulation in general only helps if there is something carrying heat away inside the insulation. Otherwise, it just slows down how quickly whatever is inside heats up, but it's going to eventually get as hot as whatever it's touching is anyhow.

I didn't touch the driver's side - it's still using Accel wires with 90-degree ceramic boots, wrapped around the front end. On the passenger side, 3 short wires dropping down to 135-degree boots, going through the headers. And the one that caught fire, still a 90 degree Accel wire.

I'm thinking this weekend I might redo that *again* (le sigh) and try wrapping them around underneath again, but instead of using sleeves on them, just make a sheet metal shield and tuckng them all behind it.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #1391
JohnMc
PV Abuser

FWIW - this is the header I'm having trouble with:

The two rear (to the left) plugs aren't so bad. The front one (to the right) isn't great, but not horrible. But that last one? Sheesh.

My first whack at it was wrapping all 4 wires back along the valve cover to the rear, and then running all 4 forward from there. Which created a bit of a crowded situation at the back end. I think next time around I'll do a mix of short (regular) wires (where they work), and run them around the end front and rear (which ever is closer). And tuck them in tight to the block, secure them in there too maybe.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #1392
cosbySweater
Board Member

Ya those stainless manifolds are known for burning up wires
Old 09-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #1393
stick70
All the gauges

Man John, this thing rocks. That engine bay is busy looking but neat! You'll get it figured out in short order I'm sure, it's all new build hiccups.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 PM   #1394
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Even with no boosts (I left the 'fire rings' out of the wastegates for a bit), it's pretty fun. Gobs o'torque. Silly amounts.

I stuck the rings in last night, engaged in a light bit of boostyness this morning. Although it capped off with some smoke and tiny little flames, it felt pretty freaking awesome. I think it was around 6 psi. Something like that. It's obviously a rough tune still, I'm mostly just shaking down build issues so far, haven't started tuning yet.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #1395
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Even with no boosts (I left the 'fire rings' out of the wastegates for a bit), it's pretty fun. Gobs o'torque. Silly amounts.

I stuck the rings in last night, engaged in a light bit of boostyness this morning. Although it capped off with some smoke and tiny little flames, it felt pretty freaking awesome. I think it was around 6 psi. Something like that. It's obviously a rough tune still, I'm mostly just shaking down build issues so far, haven't started tuning yet.
These engines are hoot with no boost and with boost. 2nd gear and third gear are my favorite..
Old 09-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #1396
JohnMc
PV Abuser

First drive into work ended with 3 burnt plug wires.
Second drive ended with one burnt plug wire.
Today's drive? So far, so good.

I didn't do much, just replaced the wire that burnt yesterday with a similar wire, but routed it on the other side of the header brace. So now it's pressed up against the header flange instead of a header tube. Since the flange is bolted snugly to a temp controlled cylinder head, I'm guessing it will stay a lot cooler. I also took up the slack in the wire (with a zip tie near the coil) so the 90-degree ceramic boot on it couldn't droop down and lay the wire on the header tubes underneath. There's hot tubes on all sides, other than the block side there. Anyhow, good so far.

And I noticed a problem that's been causing some weirdness while driving. The TPS is a bit intermittent, sometimes reading correctly, sometimes reverting to a '-12.5%' setting. And when it does that, MS reverts to a fixed 10 degree timing. Which means the engine still runs, but it's... not peppy. I tried some basic multimeter tests, everything seems good on the MS side, so iffy TPS it is. I unplugged it until I can get a replacement. Now it reads about 30% all the time, and the ignition advance stays active. Which is a good thing.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #1397
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

if you have vss and update the firmware, you can set an engine state for idle conditions that isn't strictly TPS related
Old 09-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #1398
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I plan on hooking into the ABS system for traction control at some point, but only after I stuck the Ford 8.8 in and figured out to make that work with the ABS.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #1399
JohnMc
PV Abuser

And impressions so far on the CD009/LS combo? Probably tainted by the 3.73 rear end. But overall gearing range aside (it's a little on the short side for a lower revving motor), it's just... too many gears? The thing has *grunt*, *oomph*, etc, but the gear ratios are so close together that you almost spend more time shifting than you do in the gear. *shift* *vroom*shift* *vroom*shift*.

Maybe I'll get more used to it and start skipping gears at some point?

Adding to that mess is that I apparently broke the little plastic pivot ball in the CBF shifter. Normally you wouldn't put much of a twist on the shifter stub, but I have an offset arm that repositions the lever back to where it needs to be. With a nut that holds it on, which means you twist the lever when you tighten that nut. I guess I should have held the lever firmly, it cracked, it's got some wiggle now. And it's already a bunch of gear (6 + reverse) in a very short throw area, so a little wiggle isn't helping. The CBF guy said he'd toss one in a box for free if I paid shipping, last Friday. Last check, maybe it will happen next Monday.

On the plus side, it is still mostly usable with the broken ball.

Last edited by JohnMc; 09-13-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Old 09-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #1400
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

yeah, that's a concern I've had with the cd009, but in the world of V8 folks tend to go to higher rear ends unless they're running big tire setups (which still monkeys with your effective ratio anyway). 3.08 isn't uncommon at all. I gotta decide if I want to go to something like that on mine when I go 8.8, the 3.31 is fine for most things but starts to get a bit annoying on the interstate at 80-85mph. Of course, I don't really road trip the car all that often, so.. (but it'd also help with towing by being able to drop out of OD and not spin to the moon either)