home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 06-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #151
MikeJr.
Gloss Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
The new carpet has arrived and is going through its 'relaxing' exercises in the sun before any installation efforts are made.

That looks like the same aftermarket carpet I bought for my 240. They do not fit at all even after all the trimming you have to do. You should really consider sending it back. It's much, much better to clean & re-dye what you have.
I did a re-dye using these instructions and it turned out better than new
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...Carpets-Black-

Last edited by MikeJr.; 06-10-2015 at 02:11 PM..
MikeJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #152
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Yeah I got that new carpet too. I wouldn't say it doesn't fit at all, but I wouldn't say it fits well either. After I put mine in I pulled my brown carpets off the trash pile and think I'll probably end up doing dye and swapping them back in.

Really it fits OK it's the center console area that was the big let down (baggy on the sides)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #153
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Since I've a mix of black and brown interior trim pieces to tie together the black/brown tweed cloth I used on the seats, I think I'll just clean up my old brown carpet and dye it ---- black. Hard to screw up that color.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #154
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

TP here is that link I was telling you about. You may have already seen it, but thought it fitting to add to your thread.

http://www.jefflilly.com/fabrication/carpet-install-2/
242, https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=344891
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #155
TestPoint
Board Member

Good review of products!

The new carpet spent the afternoon yesterday out in the sun and it 'relaxed' considerably but needs at least another day. Rain today.

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #156
M.H. Yount
Board Member

If only it went in as easy as it looks in the jefflilly pics....
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #157
quillc
yv1a.com

Can you post another picture of your updated dash with the cover installed? I'm curious how it turned out. Looks great from the top, how does it look from the front?
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #158
TestPoint
Board Member

Default After my nap this afternoon . . .

I got busy on installing the dash. Pulling it out was easier then putting it back . . . never mind the several wires involved.

Couple suggestions:

the dash itself needs to go in first with all the mounting brackets and duct work loose.

Tie a string on the little pigtail of wire to the glove box power lead. It is short and will get lost easily.

Make sure that the center speaker grill and defrost pieces fit inside the new dash cap. I thought I had done that but will now have to trim more to get everything to fit well now that it is in place. The speaker grill may have to be replaced due to age and UV deterioration.

It looks great . . . in my opinion . . . especially when you consider where it came from.

The Coverlay vinyl cap does not have the same surface detail as the original. It can be seen best at the glove box as much of the rest of the old/new surface is separated by trim.

Don't know if I would have done the dash cap this way except that dash had to come out anyway for heater core replacement. The vinyl paint color match is near perfect but the sheen is just a little flatter than original after 3 tries to get it right. For a dash that is OK, certainly better than shinier.

I have another cap on the V8 wagon that is just sitting there. Unfortunately/fortunately it needs a heater core also so it will get the same treatment.

Last edited by TestPoint; 06-13-2015 at 09:15 PM..
Old 06-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #159
nel621
Board Member

Looks very good. Tom how far down does the cap go near the corner vents? Can you post a close up pic of a corner vent, perhaps the one next to the glove box? Thanks. You must be dreading doing another heater core.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #160
nel621
Board Member

You're going to need one of these but $10 shipping is crazy.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Swedish-...6be0cf&vxp=mtr
Old 06-13-2015, 10:09 PM   #161
TestPoint
Board Member

The question is how different is the surface detail. Here are a couple close up pictures of the right air vent, the new dash and the glove box. The color difference in the pictures is not visible by close observation.

Not perfect but I am not taking it to Pebble Beach or Amelia Island.

Maybe Coverlay will see this thread and convince me use their custom Pebble Beach product as a demonstration.

Last edited by TestPoint; 06-14-2015 at 02:00 PM..
Old 06-13-2015, 10:20 PM   #162
TestPoint
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post

Yes, I know. But would rather have one that didn't have the pre-installed crack.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #163
nel621
Board Member

I was interested in how far down that right "leg" extended on the Coverlay. And from the looks of it it covers the entire edge. This is good. I was under the impression that the outside edges did not cover the dash completely but I was wrong. Once your trim is on that vent it will be nearly invisible that it is a cap.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #164
nel621
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post

Yes, I know. But would rather have one that didn't have the pre-installed crack.
Yeah I saw that, funny.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM   #165
nel621
Board Member

Better
Old 06-13-2015, 11:21 PM   #166
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
That's the 86+ style glove box lock, not the 81-85 style.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #167
nel621
Board Member

Is they earlier version available anywhere?
Old 06-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #168
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Is they earlier version available anywhere?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MTC-Glov...7b1068&vxp=mtr
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #169
hiperfauto
Board Member

DavidSamuels was selling them. PM him and see if he still has some.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=296336
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #170
nel621
Board Member

^ That's a good idea. Forgot he had them. Tom, can't wait to see the interior with just the carpet. Should be nice.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:50 PM   #171
TestPoint
Board Member

Default Finished the Bertone restoration . . . .

. . . of the ash trays.

Got the butyl crap cleaned up on the rear lite bright work. What a nasty job. Glass man coming Monday to remove the rear lite to allow cleaning and paint prep for the channel. There is some surface rust but nothing of any concern.

Skered of installing the beautiful new carpet without gluing it down. While formed it is not formed nearly enough to lay down like the original without the glue.

I have ordered 48oz of the Golden Yellow RIT dye and have 8oz of the tan in hand. Best guess off the RIT color chart as to the formulation for something like the original and the purdy new carpet. They have 500 formulas for colors. The plan is to crank the water heater up to about 160 degrees and with a hose out the basement door fill a 32 gallon plastic bin for the dye job.

Vacuumed, washed, cloroxed, and spray washed the old carpet some time ago but read a not about 'beating' it from the back. I must have gotten a half cup of sand out of the carpet. Gonna do that one more time.

Only 114 days to EuroFest.

Nibble, nibble, nibble . . . .

Last edited by TestPoint; 06-25-2015 at 09:40 PM..
Old 07-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #172
TestPoint
Board Member

Between rain and waiting on supplies not much has gotten done lately.

Had a glass man out to remove the rear glass. It has been replaced before . . . poorly. Butyl all over the interior trim and a mess in the glass channel. The chrome trim was also glued on . . . poorly . . . with butyl. Got the inside cleaned up and covered up with leather dye/paint and now the channel has got to be cleaned for paint.

That one side took over an hour of cutting, scrapping and cleaning with kerosene and needs another cleaning before paint.

I hate butyl !

There is a plastic molding around the chrome trim piece that appears to be unique to the Bertone. No one in the glass/molding industry that I have found has ever seen anything like it and it did not survive the removal and cleanup.

If anyone knows a source of such a thing please let me know.

Got the near OEM wiring harness loom in from Dave Burton and installed the first of many pieces. The old loom was so hard and brittle that you couldn't get the wires out and was just plain ugly.

Another issue is the electrical connectors rubber boots on four connections; the frequency valve, the aux air valve, the pressure control regulator and the cold start injector. They had all split and fallen apart. Where to find such things? The later model electronic fuel injection connectors had exactly the same boots and after soaking in a vinyl conditioner in a plastic bag for a few months were as soft and pliable as new.

Nibble, Nibble, Nibble . . . .

103 days to EuroFest
Old 07-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #173
M.H. Yount
Board Member

You check the harness itself Tom? That same brittleness is known to occur to the insulation on the wiring harness under hood. And I think it's more a function of the passage of time rather than mileage.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #174
nel621
Board Member

What is that clip?
Old 07-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #175
TestPoint
Board Member

The harness wire insulation on this car is fine. Apparently built before some engineer sold Volvo on the benefits of environmentally friendly disappearing insulation. The '82 V8 wiring was the crumbling kind but it mostly got replaced with newer Ford wire.

The 'clip' is a cross section of a plastic trim the goes around the outside perimeter of both the windshield and rear lite. Not sure that I am going to be able to replace it as it did not survive the removal of the windshield trim and the previous work on the rear left it at least partially off. No sign of anything close after a couple hours on the internet.