home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #51
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Really nice project man, not sure how I missed seeing this thread until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggy Pop View Post
There was a set of brown corduroy LS back Recaro's for sale on here a while ago, kind of wishing I had those now.
You may take some solace in knowing that those seats are going into another beige on brown 242 DL, although mine is an '81. I hope I can get the rest of the car up to snuff to do justice to the seats!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #52
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Really nice project man, not sure how I missed seeing this thread until now.

You may take some solace in knowing that those seats are going into another beige on brown 242 DL, although mine is an '81. I hope I can get the rest of the car up to snuff to do justice to the seats!
Thanks. I had a sneaking suspicion that's where they were, glad they are headed to a deserving home. That interior is going to look great. The car is going to have a black dash and whatever seats I get will probably end up being black, so will have to see how it comes together.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #53
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Winter is really dragging on in New England, which is bad for morale but just as well since I don't have a road ready car yet anyways. Been picking away at things, waiting for parts and continually adding things to the to-do list. The car starts much easier now that it's a bit warmer, and once it's warm it runs OK. Cold idle is pretty terrible though - need to spend some time on it. The car did take the first stage of the Back Yard to Garage Rally when things warmed up a bit the other week.

The petrified studded snows on the back can really sling some mud, although I did get stuck on the first shot. I took a second run at it with some authority and spun through with only a little bit of squirreling around. I made it through and of course had to spray the clods of mud and former lawn off the bottom of the car before putting it in the garage.

I keep tripping over this damn thing, and then I opened the garage door on it (the exhaust won ). I'd like to run skinny bumpers and imagine this is going to stick out, I know right now it's a stainless steel spear.

I have spent a lot of time sitting in the car with wiring diagrams trying to make sense of the interior, and removing some unnecessary circuits. The late model harness is a beast compared to what was in the '79. I have it pretty well laid out now, got the center console frame in and the ducting. Once I figure out why the blower motor isn't working I'll get a dash in it and get moving on the interior. Need to decide where I'm putting the ABS brain.

Also happy to have the intercooler piping finished. I bought 3" aluminum bends from CX Racing. The hot side was straightforward with one 45 deg bend, we thought this would be quick to make but ended up taking 3 or 4 cuts to get it in the right spot. Since I cut one of the bead rolled ends off I had to call around until I found a local speed shop that specializes in GNX's (Cotton's Performance) who had a bead roller. They also had something pretty cool in the shop - 996 with a 408 stroker LS1.

One of the things Ive liked about the project is that it's brought me to some cool places and met interesting people. With the pipe ready I gave it a polishing and it's lookin good!

The cold side was 'more complicated' but ended up coming together in no time. I bought a 30 deg bend that ended up being just the ticket. Only needed to add on a few inches from a piece of straight. Worked out BOV and IAT sensor locations, made holes and it was ready to be sent to Mark who welded my oil cooler. I haven't polished it yet but it came back gorgeous, it's amazing what a talented welder can do

pretty flange weld and Synapse BOV

This was a tighter fit and I had to notch up the ABS bracket a little more to get a straight shot at the throttle body

and it's really a turbo car now

Getting there! The list is at least shorter under the hood. Have stuff on the way for intake, and thinking about what I want to do with PCV. I also got a seriously tiny battery thanks to a lead from Karl Buchka

Not sure exactly where I'll put it, but hoping to get it in this weekend. Then I'll hope it's not dead the next time I try and start the car, it just seems too small
Stiggy Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #54
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

This is looking great! Great work!

I had that same battery waiting on my doorstep when I got home today.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #55
gashog
Board Member

Quote:

I have spent a lot of time sitting in the car with wiring diagrams trying to make sense of the interior, and removing some unnecessary circuits. The late model harness is a beast compared to what was in the '79. I have it pretty well laid out now, got the center console frame in and the ducting. Once I figure out why the blower motor isn't working I'll get a dash in it and get moving on the interior. Need to decide where I'm putting the ABS brain.

Good Lord!!
Is that what's sitting "under" the passengers seat?
I had no idea they were that conspicuous.

Here comes the BOOST!
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #56
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Where are you in Western Mass? My folks have a spot in Great Barrington
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #57
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
This is looking great! Great work!

I had that same battery waiting on my doorstep when I got home today.
Thanks, really appreciate it! Always looking at your thread for inspiration. Where are you putting your battery, you deleted the tray right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulson01 View Post
Good Lord!!
Is that what's sitting "under" the passengers seat?
I had no idea they were that conspicuous.
nothing about the ABS system is small! I don't love it aesthetically but I think I'll like it when I'm driving. I think it was under one of the seats on the '92 but don't even remember anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Where are you in Western Mass? My folks have a spot in Great Barrington
I'm in Granville which is about an hour SE of Great Barrington (more towards Springfield). GB is one of our favorite spots though, best places to get food after a day at Lime Rock. You and/or your folks should check out the Meat Market over there, killer meats, sausages etc and they do awesome food.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #58
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

Quote:
You and/or your folks should check out the Meat Market over there, killer meats, sausages etc and they do awesome food.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #59
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
I'm in Granville which is about an hour SE of Great Barrington (more towards Springfield). GB is one of our favorite spots though, best places to get food after a day at Lime Rock. You and/or your folks should check out the Meat Market over there, killer meats, sausages etc and they do awesome food.
I have never been to Granville I dont think, but my uncle does have a house on Lake Otis which is pretty close by. Nice driving out there if you can avoid the cops.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #60
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
I need to proof read. It's a family friendly place I promise
Old 03-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #61
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
I have never been to Granville I dont think, but my uncle does have a house on Lake Otis which is pretty close by. Nice driving out there if you can avoid the cops.
Otis is close, ride dirt bikes up there sometimes. There are some fun roads around, Barkhamsted Res. area is good. Everything is all cracked up and whooped from frost right now though. When I drove the '92 it was way too stiff for the roads here, skipping around if you pushed it in a corner. But afterwards I realized the struts seem to be adjusted at full stiff, so I'll have to see what it's like with things adjusted and lined up.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #62
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Otis is close, ride dirt bikes up there sometimes. There are some fun roads around, Barkhamsted Res. area is good. Everything is all cracked up and whooped from frost right now though. When I drove the '92 it was way too stiff for the roads here, skipping around if you pushed it in a corner. But afterwards I realized the struts seem to be adjusted at full stiff, so I'll have to see what it's like with things adjusted and lined up.
You should be able to get it dialed in with the shocks. dont forget you have compression adjustment too... if thats off it will not ride well.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #63
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

When I tried test fitting the IAT sensor in the pipe it wasn't threading in far enough to get the element in the air stream. I ended up having to shorten the bung on the pipe a bit, and went out and got a 3/8 NPT tap this morning to run through it. With that worked out I spent some time with sand paper, steel wool, and elbow grease to pretty things up a bit.

When I ordered the odyssey battery I ordered a clamshell type mount thinking I'd lay the battery down. They ended up sending me a billet stand-up mount that was a nice piece (and $50 more than what I paid for) so I figured I'd give it a shot. It turns out I wouldn't have really had room to lay it down anyways and this mount worked out better. The base plate was spaced right to lay over the stock tray. Drilled four holes and it was in.

I had to countersink the bottoms of the support posts to get everything to tighten up, but otherwise it went together well. The mount is a little blingy, probably a good candidate for black powder coating. Now that things are laid out I'll get new battery cables and clean things up. Pretty happy with the results. Plus it cranks the car over no problem.

Drove it across the street to park and idled it for a bit, everything seems to be ok, blow of valve is moving no obvious leaks. It actually seemed to run a bit better but still bouncy idle. Yesterday I upgraded to ms2/ex 3.3.1, it had 3.1.1 loaded on it before. Also updated to the newest version of TS. Initially I couldn't get the car started afterwards (wasn't syncing) so I played around for a while. Eventually I just reloaded the old tune fresh again and it worked. I tried running the warm up enrichment auto tune and it helped a bit. Now that I have everything plumbed I can spend some more time with it.

Will probably put the dash in it, and a cooling fan. What are people using for a fan shroud with a v90 fan on 240 rad?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #64
volvobrage
Board Member

Really Nice Project, you have done an amazing job under the car
Continue the high quality building:D
volvobrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #65
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobrage View Post
Really Nice Project, you have done an amazing job under the car
Continue the high quality building:D
Thanks! That's my favorite compliment, I spent a lot of time on it and most people won't see it. I also know it's only going to look this pretty once

Nothing big the past few weeks. Spent a lot of time researching this and that, accumulating some parts. Think I'm going to snag the denso 100amp from my DD 940 in place of the Bosch to free up some room around the oil filter. Need to get some new battery cables made. Fan. Give it some kind of an alignment. Then I can start driving it and figuring out the tune. I've been stalling on the interior because I was still getting water in the floors. I happened to be sitting in the car playing with TunerStudio when it started raining and the water was obviously running right in at the top of the windshield. Based on what the trim/seal looked like it was no surprise.

Honestly I was hoping I could just shortcut it for a while and bought a tube of black silicone. I was all ready to goop it up until we started lifting up the trim and the corner of the windshield was popping right out. Knew at that point I was going to have to get into it so we just peeled it out of the car. The reason I was trying to avoid it was because the bottom corner on the passenger side was ugly bubbly with rust. From the looks of it we were anticipating cutting the corner out of the gold wagon and doing some real rot repair. When I started picking at it I was happy to see it looked worse than it was and it didn't warrant cutting up the car.

Probably better to get it all out and address it. Cleaned everything up well and it was a great excuse to use up some of the left over rust bullet paint. Used some spot putty to smooth out the rough spots.

Masked it off and gave the putty a quick shot of primer. I'll end up using some of the paint I have left from the engine bay for the parts left exposed. It won't be a perfect match but will look better than the rust. If I end up keeping the car for a while I'll probably end up painting the whole thing anyways.

The gold '92 had a pretty good looking windshield so I was hoping to use it here. We were in the car pushing with our feet (laying on piles of parts), had it most of the way out and I shifted my foot a bit and it popped top to bottom... damn. I talked to some glass guys, and was asking for Pilkington glass based on what I read on here. What I was told from the guys in the biz is that the only glass available is made in China now. The glass "Pilkington" has available is made by CCC. Not going to sweat it, actually kind of excited to have brand new glass in the car.

We'll be waterproof on Monday, so time to get moving on the interior. Still haven't picked seats... can I do a Kickstarter for a set of Bride Low Max?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 PM   #66
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

first weekend of the year working with the garage door open - have to love that.

Pretty in primer

Glass is coming Monday so I spent some time putting the dash in. Then I spent some time taking it back out so I could glue the weather strip thing to the inside bottom edge of the windshield channel. Then wasted more time playing trial and error with glue to get the thing to stick.

I think in a perfect world I would have a perfect OG dash with a rally cluster. But the '79 dash was split front to back, and the '92 dash was in really nice shape. I'm going to hang on to the old dash, but I do like the look of the new one.

Need to buy sound deadening and carpet. I think I am going to go black for simplicity and it's hard to go wrong with black. I didn't really need to put the center console in yet but I was having fun putting things together.

I grabbed the wheel, signal stalks and mount off the '79. The old wheel was rubbing on the '92 steering column shroud so I left it off. I'll be getting a hub adapter and some of kind of wheel soon anyhow.

Kinda looks like

Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #67
Old Iron
I Roll

This is a great build, it's really coming together! Don't forget to yank the engine again and detail and paint it like you did everything else, haha!
Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #68
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
This is a great build, it's really coming together! Don't forget to yank the engine again and detail and paint it like you did everything else, haha!
Thanks, warm weather will be a good kick in the ass to get this thing on the road. I'm almost at the point where I can engage Kenny for a good starting point on the tune and begin shaking things out a bit. Yes, yes I know she's a bit ugly. But just think of this engine as a place holder for something that can make better use of the Holset. Always checking the marina side of the Volvo world on Craigslist

Boring lunch meetings are a good time to make up an off the cuff, in-no-particular-order To Do list for the car.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #69
2fast242gt
Do you have a cobalt?

I've had rust converters be hit and miss. I just fixed that exact same rust on my car but by cutting and welding in a new section. Seems to only happen when the oe windhseild has been replaced.
2fast242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #70
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast242gt View Post
I've had rust converters be hit and miss. I just fixed that exact same rust on my car but by cutting and welding in a new section. Seems to only happen when the oe windhseild has been replaced.
Yeah, I don't have any prior experience with them so it's a bit of an experiment - I'm optimistic though. Can always revisit things if/when the car got painted which is why I'm kind of touching up for now. That was not an original windshield in the car so your theory holds up.

Hard to beat new glass! and while I can appreciate the OG chrome trim I think the new style is much cleaner looking - and I'm sure it's going to be a lot quieter.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #71
Sharingan 19
Board Member

Lookin good!
I need to replace my windshield too , it was cracked when I bought it bargaining "chip" At least it doesn't leak
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #72
The Full Banana
not yet good enough

I think you should drive this to iPd for the garage sale. Meet me in Wisconsin and we can convoy out.
The Full Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #73
gashog
Board Member

You had a glass guy do it?
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #74
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Full Banana View Post
I think you should drive this to iPd for the garage sale. Meet me in Wisconsin and we can convoy out.
I would love to go to a show like that, probably a little ambitious though! I just missed a show Sunday so I could keep working - I'm looking forward to the car being a reason to go to shows, not miss them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulson01 View Post
You had a glass guy do it?
Yeah ended up just having a local guy come do it (paid $190), looks like a nice job. I just had him get a windshield for a '92. I was bummed to have broken the wagon's windshield, but now that I have new glass in and don't have to mess around trying to do it myself it seems like a blessing in disguise.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #75
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Looking good - I'm having flashbacks to when I simultaneously did the windshield frame rust repair, new dash, and new late-model windshield on my beige 242. The rust repair had to be done, but the new dash and windshield made the car so much nicer to drive. Looking out over the hood I now have no distracting desert cracks in my foreground vision and no annoying windshield pits clouding my view. Almost feels like a brand new car to sit in. I'm sure you'll enjoy what you've done on yours too.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote