home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #2626
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by culberro View Post
This is my experience using stock bilstein HDs struts and Gabriel Ultra rear shocks.
I'm a fan of 250 lbs/in in the front and 150 lbs/in at the rear location. Not bouncy and handles crappy roads well. This has been used for track days and drifting as well. If you go too low, it'll still scrape the mudflaps when cornering hard with 4 people in the car. So if you're going for the low look, I'd go 300 in the front and 175-200 in the rear if you want to carry any weight.

Great stuff! Much appreciated.

Built-not-bought: PDXdl Resto-Mod - B21FT / M47.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Life begins at 10PSI.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #2627
Harlard
Hurlurd?Harland?Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4CARL View Post
GAZ for the front should be here by Christmas. Existing rear units are Bilstein Touring. Would like to match to front at some point.
So what rate did you ask for when you ordered those inserts? With rear tourings I'd keep the rear rate at around 175 as Robert suggested.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #2628
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

What's the deal with S10 shocks in the rear?
Old 09-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #2629
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
So what rate did you ask for when you ordered those inserts? With rear tourings I'd keep the rear rate at around 175 as Robert suggested.
Shock tuning never came up. I'll ask.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #2630
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Son is getting a bigger apartment next month. To take the furniture we've been storing from the old house for him in the garage. Move-in to the new house is nearly done. Pictures on the walls. Maybe have the DL home by December. Then the holidays. Maybe start wrenching in January. Should have enough time before Davis. Suspension parts are trickling in.

I want to apologize to anyone that was interested, for being a major flake and listing the car for sale, then pulling it off the market. Very nearly sold it. Been some low points.

Hoping to do some outings this winter. Found some cheap, knock-off, Virgos. Going to spend a few bucks and set her up with some Blizzaks. Do some skiing on Mt. Hood. Run up to Leavenworth with the wife for the Christmas lights. Stuff like that. Should be fun. Different.

Got my IG, PDXvolvo, over 500 followers. Pretty cool.

Pull the motor. Fix the GD oil leak. Slam the suspension on coil-overs to be TB cool. Yeah baby.

Chicks dig it.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #2631
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Blizzak’s on Virgo’s. Going to try something different this winter.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #2632
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

First get away weekend in a while. Staying at the Columbia Gorge Hotel. Just had a terrific dinner. The local Aeroplane and Automobile museum was first class.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:33 AM   #2633
mblue240
Board Member

You're running a set of Virgo replicas? I've had one in my backyard for years, if you want a spare.

Tbricks build

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4_ford View Post
In Oregon, 5 Volvos in a parking lot isn't a meet, it's just a daily coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
Yep, Michael is right.
mblue240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:49 AM   #2634
John242Ti
LH-Jet & Carb Free Zone

Got the older WS80s on a set of rims for the white Subie. Good tire. On the 245, I'll be running the General Altimax Arctic 12s that I mentioned in the text message earlier. Did well during last winter's snowmageddon, so... Going to get another pair to run on the front of the car, that way, I have the same tire on each corner.

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #2635
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
You're running a set of Virgo replicas? I've had one in my backyard for years, if you want a spare.
Snagged a set for my snows.

Maybe I’ll throw one on the spare and save 3.3 lbs. Woot!
Old 11-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #2636
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by John242Ti View Post
Got the older WS80s on a set of rims for the white Subie. Good tire. On the 245, I'll be running the General Altimax Arctic 12s that I mentioned in the text message earlier. Did well during last winter's snowmageddon, so... Going to get another pair to run on the front of the car, that way, I have the same tire on each corner.
Everybody says to run them on all four corners. Pricey. I’m on the rear only right now. Anxious to try them out.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #2637
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

A sublime drive down the gorge this weekend. Historic highway 14 along the Columbia in the fall. Rolling hills, 3rd gear corners, light traffic. The DL was in its element.

She could use some more low end torque. Any suggestions? Perhaps a T cam in place of the turbo cam? LS swap?

Last edited by LC4CARL; 11-10-2019 at 06:06 PM..
Old 11-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #2638
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Suspension goodies continue to trickle in. Davis is only six months out.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #2639
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Old 11-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #2640
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Old 11-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #2641
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Old 11-20-2019, 12:30 AM   #2642
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

Dayum! You’re suspension game is gonna be strong!

-Project Thread-

Follow on IG: @vol242vo
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:04 AM   #2643
Toybox
mostly lurking

Quote:
Everybody says to run them on all four corners. Pricey. I’m on the rear only right now. Anxious to try them out.
A long time ago, in a land where there was snow...

Splurged on 4 Blizzaks from the Tire Rack, pre-mounted on steel rims so I wouldn't have to dismount the summer treads. Wrong offset, fronts rubbed outer fender on turns. Anxious to go on a trip, very likely snow and mountains ahead, no time to play games at the local tire store. Put the nice alloy summers on the front and figured 2 ugly snows on the back would have to suffice. Test drive once around the block, just fine. Didn't discover any further problem until the car's fully packed, highway speeds, deadline to meet. The damn car literally wiggled several hundred miles. Steering correction, overcorrection, overcorrection... figured something was totally wrong, but could find no loose parts. Stopped at a dealership the next day for them to check it out, check the alignment, all that jazz, no one could find anything wrong. Although I distinctly recall that all those dealership dudes, in a land with zero snow, had a pretty good laugh at these funny looking rubber things on the back.

Finally called Tire Rack when I got home, said I need rims that fit better... and by the way, if it wiggles this much with just 2, do I really want to install all 4? "Oh lord, you did what? Ack. No!" I don't recall his exact words, but he explained the reason it wiggled had to do with the front and back being so different. He promised me it would behave nicely with all 4. Running just 2 snows was fine in the old days, he said. But with a modern tire designed for ice... nope.

Read classifieds in the newspaper (remember those?). Found extra stock alloys instead of the ill-fitting steel wonders, paid to have all 4 Blizzaks mounted on their new homes. I vaguely recall that Tire Rack reimbursed me because it was their fault, but certainly they took back the rims.

To my great surprise and delight, car smooth as glass, nicely predictable.

And if you ever need to know, a Mustang 5.0 will positively climb right through 5" of fresh snow with Blizzaks on all 4. It was stunningly good.
Toybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #2644
VolvoNut4Ever

Quote:
Found some cheap, knock-off, Virgos.
Just catching up here, could you please share your source for above knock-off replica Virgos?
VolvoNut4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #2645
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
A long time ago, in a land where there was snow...

Splurged on 4 Blizzaks from the Tire Rack, pre-mounted on steel rims so I wouldn't have to dismount the summer treads. Wrong offset, fronts rubbed outer fender on turns. Anxious to go on a trip, very likely snow and mountains ahead, no time to play games at the local tire store. Put the nice alloy summers on the front and figured 2 ugly snows on the back would have to suffice. Test drive once around the block, just fine. Didn't discover any further problem until the car's fully packed, highway speeds, deadline to meet. The damn car literally wiggled several hundred miles. Steering correction, overcorrection, overcorrection... figured something was totally wrong, but could find no loose parts. Stopped at a dealership the next day for them to check it out, check the alignment, all that jazz, no one could find anything wrong. Although I distinctly recall that all those dealership dudes, in a land with zero snow, had a pretty good laugh at these funny looking rubber things on the back.

Finally called Tire Rack when I got home, said I need rims that fit better... and by the way, if it wiggles this much with just 2, do I really want to install all 4? "Oh lord, you did what? Ack. No!" I don't recall his exact words, but he explained the reason it wiggled had to do with the front and back being so different. He promised me it would behave nicely with all 4. Running just 2 snows was fine in the old days, he said. But with a modern tire designed for ice... nope.

Read classifieds in the newspaper (remember those?). Found extra stock alloys instead of the ill-fitting steel wonders, paid to have all 4 Blizzaks mounted on their new homes. I vaguely recall that Tire Rack reimbursed me because it was their fault, but certainly they took back the rims.

To my great surprise and delight, car smooth as glass, nicely predictable.

And if you ever need to know, a Mustang 5.0 will positively climb right through 5" of fresh snow with Blizzaks on all 4. It was stunningly good.

Much appreciated. Had to wonder if the industry is just trying to sell more tires or if the four-corner thing is legit. Growing up in Michigan, we used to fit the old-style "mud and snow" tires to the back of our cars each winter. Only the 4x4 guys would have them all around.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #2646
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Dayum! You’re suspension game is gonna be strong!
Thanks! She's no 242, but we try.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #2647
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoNut4Ever View Post
Just catching up here, could you please share your source for above knock-off replica Virgos?
I think they were sold through IPD at some point. I found them on FB Marketplace for cheap. The center cap hole is slightly smaller so the factory center cap won't fit without opening it up.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #2648
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Raised her up on stands and hosed her down with cleaner. Dang engine oil leak.

There is so much hardware in the vicinity of the leak. I have been thinking that it was the oil pan, but now I'm hopeful that it's the oil filter plate. Possibly the o-ring to the block.

It's good to have the car in the garage again.

No snow on the mountain yet. Looking forward to doing some skiing this year.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #2649
Vol242vo
Keep it clean...

When do you plan to install the suspension bits? Also would you mind measuring the length of the threads on your strut tubes...wondering how much adjustment room those have.
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #2650
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
When do you plan to install the suspension bits? Also would you mind measuring the length of the threads on your strut tubes...wondering how much adjustment room those have.
Hey,

Hoping before Davis in April. Still waiting on a few parts.

The threaded portion of the housings measure 7".