home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #126
Jack
junkman

went swimming today

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #127
matt b
Board Member

How old is your clutch ? Seems odd that it would slip if it's recent. Is your slave adjusted properly so that you're engaging and releasing fully ?

That old MC was beyond done, that's some junk! Car looks good, glad to see you're keeping it.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #128
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
How old is your clutch ? Seems odd that it would slip if it's recent. Is your slave adjusted properly so that you're engaging and releasing fully ?

That old MC was beyond done, that's some junk! Car looks good, glad to see you're keeping it.
I have no history with the clutch. It was fine since I got it until last week. Slave adjusted correctly. That master was pretty good inside besides front seal coming apart and the rear was on it's way out. Thanks for the compliments. I get compliments and start conversations with men and women almost everywhere I go whenever I drive this car
More than any other car I have ever owned

since pictures are a must. Took few things to powder coating today
two 4.5 wheels - because she said 1/2 inch makes all the difference
interior windshield trim
engine mounts
trans mount
seat mounts and seat bottoms (not in pictures)
rear lower control arm
two valve covers
dip stick

Last edited by Jack; 08-14-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #129
Jack
junkman

Today I decided to work on rear seat area.

Forgot to take picture of seat installed. I removed most of the asbestos insulation a while ago

scraped up and wiped off with goof off. You can spend 1/2 a day getting all the adhesive off (I did on few cars) but at some point it makes no difference

done

doing the tunnel next. Does the shift boot go between the plastic vents and body or does it tuck into the tunnel (trans/boot/tunnel)?

stopped here for today

in Parts Collection Department
picked up the flywheel

got steel timing gears off a Penta at a friends scrap yard for pretty much nothing. Having Volvo tools makes pulling them super easy. Pulled the brass spacer too
Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #130
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

The boot is attached to the tunnel and the heater distribution vent piece goes over top. Use washers to prevent it from splitting.

1966 Canadian (B5234T, C4 up front, Supra out back and a nut in the middle) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
1981 242 (B230FT, LH 2.4...and a few other things)

YouTube channel covering Canadian build https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx...n3CiBQFd4rMyXw
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #131
Jack
junkman

soaked the rear seatbelts overnight - I usually pressure wash old seatbelts but the 122 belts get their color washed out... So I tried this

since I have the seat out I decided to glue the plywood back together. If I ever get to recovering it I will cut a new board out and transfer all the sprangs

waiting, you can never have enough clamps

decided to build a hat shelf. Used a spare body to find the lines using painters paper

used a cut off wheel on a $4 hardboard from Home Cheetos

3M 90 is what I use. Got 12'x4.5' cheapest carpeting for $17. Ill be covering up the floors soon and I dont want to spend the money at VP for original rubber covers, just yet. Dont forget the notches.

My son would have deducted points if I didn't glue that piece of vinyl there.

Installed. I'll get a better picture after I clean back there. Picture makes it look uneven but it isnt.

discharged nearly a full can of 3m glue... I toss cans in there all the time but nothing ever punctures. At least I wont lose tools anymore.

About to remove this pos but I dont want to destroy it in case I do ever need it. Can you remove that head bolt without fuking up the HG?

Last edited by Jack; 08-16-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Old 08-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #132
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
The boot is attached to the tunnel and the heater distribution vent piece goes over top. Use washers to prevent it from splitting.
how is it attached? I was playing with it just now and the only way that made any sense to me was stuffing it inside the tunnel.
washers where ?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #133
matt b
Board Member

I'ver never had to remove the head bolt to remove the temp sending unit. Use a low profile 15 mm, make sure you have it nice and flat against the head and it should come off.

It's easier to have the valve cover off too, it makes for easy access.
matt b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #134
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt b View Post
I'ver never had to remove the head bolt to remove the temp sending unit. Use a low profile 15 mm, make sure you have it nice and flat against the head and it should come off.

It's easier to have the valve cover off too, it makes for easy access.
lol didnt even think of taking the VC off.. I should be getting the powder coated one any day now, I;ll wait unit then

this thing is super flat too. I might just go to a JY and get a freebee deep socket and notch it

got to KISS
Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #135
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

Nice double oven!
Sold- 2006 V70R
PeaceEngineered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #136
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
how is it attached? I was playing with it just now and the only way that made any sense to me was stuffing it inside the tunnel.
washers where ?
I just checked my tunnel...scratch that - it attaches with four screws to the heater duct. If you don't have screw holes in your duct (that's how mine was attached) then you could just stuff it in the hole.

Then again, they may just float and someone decided to screw mine down.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #137
hiperfauto
Board Member

No screws necessary for the shift boot. The flange gets stuffed into the tunnel. Just make sure to go back under the car and verify that there's no folds in the flange or it will leak hot air into the cabin. If clearance is an issue you may need to drop the trans crossmember down.

Use a crows foot wrench to remove/install the temp sender bulb. It can usually be done without removing the valve cover unless you have an aluminum valve cover.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #138
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceEngineered View Post
Nice double oven!
Thank you. I took most of it apart, replaced screws with stainless, new insulation, rebuilt the valves. Kept the outside original.
Kitchen is a mess right meow. Will be putting in steel cabinets along with a farm house sink - 60 something inches wide, hopefully by the end of the year

thats one of them.Took them apart and got them powder coated. Left is a hobart mixer I got for $50 at the scrap - city tossed it nothing wrong with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
I just checked my tunnel...scratch that - it attaches with four screws to the heater duct. If you don't have screw holes in your duct (that's how mine was attached) then you could just stuff it in the hole.

Then again, they may just float and someone decided to screw mine down.
thank you for checking for me
The few amazons I had that had a boot never had any screw holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
No screws necessary for the shift boot. The flange gets stuffed into the tunnel. Just make sure to go back under the car and verify that there's no folds in the flange or it will leak hot air into the cabin. If clearance is an issue you may need to drop the trans crossmember down.

Use a crows foot wrench to remove/install the temp sender bulb. It can usually be done without removing the valve cover unless you have an aluminum valve cover.
thats what I ended up doing. Dang crows foot wrenches I never had a need for them. Time to buy. I know Luke

Today
old deformed surround and rusty turn signal switch

in case anyone needs to reference

cleaned all the connectors

Found a better surround and I polished it up. Does a psycho GF condom go where the turn signal hole is? Is this much gap between surround and dash normal?

glue is dry - looks the same but at least it isnt coming apart

decided to finish up the driver rear floor. Welded under and touched up some places I missed.
This is before welding from bottom

It helps to remove the firewall horsehair potato sack BEFORE welding. Man does that stink when it burns, must be something else in it

used body sealant inside car only (ran out for bottom) my cocking guns plunger failed, too much pushing for the old tube

used up the rest of my Dynamat up. focusing on the exhaust side since radiant heat is strong.

back seat reinstalled.

what goes in ze hole?

Once I replace passenger front floor, I'll be installing carpet. I need to pull the fender off to properly fix the rust and when I do I will be painting the fender at the same time. Waiting on clutch to arrive so I can swap that over. Fixing up this car so I can fix my 245 T5 tans swap clutch issues

Last edited by Jack; 08-17-2018 at 10:54 PM..
Old 08-19-2018, 12:27 AM   #139
Jack
junkman

last night... old tires are old. Tires were on order already and wheels at powder coating

because I almost put a spare inside the car...

Today. Got a newer but still used tire put on a wheel for now. Hiperfromance Auto had apprentice Ian deliver this to my porch. He didnt even knock.. delivered and back to L.A.

previous gorilla stripped off the upper two bolts holding trans to bell housing. This was still the easiest removal of transmission out of any Volvo I own.

worn out

right down to the rivets

removed the retaining clip - it went flying and I thought I lost it for sure.... landed in my pile of bolts

IDK what this volvo tool originally was, there were hack marks on both ends but it fit prefectly in the pilot bearing hole .. stuffed it with paper and out it came

This is a late model M40. Looks like someone swapped it in at some point and my speedo is way off. Doesn't this car need a yellow speedo sender ? I had the info somewhere but cant find it.

if you want to know what a moron I am. Eric asked me if I wanted the RMS ... nope it's fine.... well Eric ... now I'm going through my boxes and boxes of NOS parts to see if I have are the right one.... Thats it for today. tired of rolling around on gravel this week.

Last edited by Jack; 08-19-2018 at 03:54 AM..
Old 08-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #140
sksmith
Board Member

Jack,
I think I have a spare RMS. Let me check and get back to you later today.
Maybe we can work out a deal if you the radio trim I'm looking for?
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #141
nel621
Board Member

mice?
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #142
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sksmith View Post
Jack,
I think I have a spare RMS. Let me check and get back to you later today.
Maybe we can work out a deal if you the radio trim I'm looking for?
Steve
If I knew what you're looking for I could find it ...

I found 5 volvo ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
mice?
Im either missing something or theres a purpose to it... I need to look at owners manual since I found no pictures of the back seat with doors open. Maybe this one is from a coupe

But damn is the back door opening foot area tiny

nothing exciting
yesterday. New pilot bearing, Volvo RMS

found the correct gear for 4.10

replaced
output seal and speedo gear washer and two seals

stopped here

today. wrestled the trans into place. New bolts from hardware store.

school bus shifter benefit

Not in pictures. installed the temp sender and now all my gauges work correctly even the speedo. WOOP
Old 08-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #143
Jack
junkman

got stuff back from powder coating but only managed to install some of it

dipstick and valve cover
Old 08-29-2018, 02:50 AM   #144
Scaramanga
Board Member

I really enjoy your updates Man, you need an new dash cover!!!
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #145
nel621
Board Member

Nice progress. Surprised nobody has chimed about the gap on the side of the rear seat. Guessing not too many 122 owners here.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #146
soclosenotnear
Board Member

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing! You make me want to go fix the nagging issues on my heap.
soclosenotnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #147
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
I really enjoy your updates Man, you need an new dash cover!!!
Thank you for reading Dash will come when the headliner and floor are done. Next few months

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
Nice progress. Surprised nobody has chimed about the gap on the side of the rear seat. Guessing not too many 122 owners here.
Thank you for your kind words. Not many 4 door owners also

Quote:
Originally Posted by soclosenotnear View Post
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing! You make me want to go fix the nagging issues on my heap.
DOET! Just takes little at a time once a week and looking back it adds up quickly. Thank you for reading this stuff

Today, some win some failure
4.5 wheels with new tires. I went with most popular on Amazon. $50 each and it has great reviews.

all but @#$%^& one.... guess I ened up with a 1800 wheel

Things waiting on installation (2 seat frames - 1 shown)

This weekend I picked up a set of su hs6
Cleaning them up for a rebuild

Also found out that when the RR tire blew up it tacoed the turnk.. Oh well
Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #148
hiperfauto
Board Member

That's an early 4½" 140/164 wheel. 1800E/ES never got the oval hole wheels.

Gotta check those part numbers.

Oh yeah, you've got a 2 door rear seat bottom. That's why it looks funny.

Last edited by hiperfauto; 08-29-2018 at 09:47 PM..
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:47 AM   #149
Scaramanga
Board Member

7 days and no updates?! Come on

I think I like this thread
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:09 AM   #150
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
7 days and no updates?! Come on

I think I like this thread
I been itching to post stuff but waiting on powder coating to be done

Drove it 180miles this weekend to see 122power(less) but bastard had put his away so no twin pictures there... Thanks Fluke
Meet sick looking dude there who said he had manifolds built in Japan for these back in the day to compete with iPd. Ended up buying a tiny fraction of vintage receivers from him. Going back for more and hopefully some Volvo tools http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpo...5&postcount=68

Yesterday I did 80 miles. Been driving it daily. Lots of love from all sorts of people. Had a corner homeless dude talk to me about his Amazon; to old ladies going “I went to prom in one”
Some drunk women took pictures in it but had husbands :/

I’m trying to decide if I should put an old kenwood in this with amp outputs I have... it’s maybe from the early 80s ... idk how it will look. Don’t need radio on short trips but long I feel like I get vertigo after few hours since shocks are blown. Planning on taking it to Los Angeles (1000 mile round trip in few weeks) I’ll make a thread http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344595.... damn it so impatient

I appreciate the kind words

Last edited by Jack; 09-07-2018 at 02:52 AM..