home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 PM   #26
To old for this
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricktothefuture View Post
Is there any way to fit the '93 setup with the '75-80 dash? I'm getting ready to reassemble my car and have been tempted to grab a '93 heater box with room to add AC if I need it later, but want to keep my original dash.
Not 100% use the early duct to connect the box to your dash vents.
To old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #27
Bricktothefuture
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To old for this View Post
Not 100% use the early duct to connect the box to your dash vents.
Awesome. Thanks!
Bricktothefuture is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #28
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
The wiring is the only part I have to really study before I do the swap in my 89. I'm going to pull as much of the factory wiring from my 93 donor car as possible. Studying 28 year Volvo wiring diagrams isn't my idea of bedtime reading. Haven't found too much info on how to wire it up to an old R12 system.
12V connection at the fuse block, proper grounds, how hard can it be? So far as the computers aren't tied into it, should be plug and play. Don't forget the GROUNDS.... nothing works without them.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #29
Matt86
Board Member

I begun to gut my 93 donor car for the AC stuff. The wiring is pretty much stand alone, aside from a three wire connector in the main dash harness and a two wire plug behind the left strut tower. Wiring it up should be fairly simple. The main engine compartment AC harness has the two sensor plugs, a relay, fan connector, the two wire connector (corresponds to the one behind the strut tower, green wire goes to the compressor, grey to the dash harness). There is also a positive lead that goes to the 93' only fuse box at the battery. There is a small sub harness that goes to the snow flake switch, as pointed out, it also has a white/red lead that goes to the blower switch and has a relay integrated in to the harness. The control panel its self is actually different looking then my 89.

Lines, condenser, and engine harness.

The 93 HVAC box in all its glory, and boy what fun it was to remove:
Old 04-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #30
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
I begun to gut my 93 donor car for the AC stuff. The wiring is pretty much stand alone, aside from a three wire connector in the main dash harness and a two wire plug behind the left strut tower. Wiring it up should be fairly simple. The main engine compartment AC harness has the two sensor plugs, a relay, fan connector, the two wire connector (corresponds to the one behind the strut tower, green wire goes to the compressor, grey to the dash harness). There is also a positive lead that goes to the 93' only fuse box at the battery. There is a small sub harness that goes to the snow flake switch, as pointed out, it also has a white/red lead that goes to the blower switch and has a relay integrated in to the harness.

Lines, condenser, and engine harness.
Hey Matt, if you don't mind, shoot a picture of that mini-harness that you pulled underdash. I'd like to know for sure how long it is, and the P/N on that AC relay. I might have to make one last run back to that 93 and see if I can pull that control wiring to simplify my upgrade.

Yes sir, pulling that 93 HVAC main reactor was some work.....but nowhere near as bad as the 9 series heater core R&R that I did.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #31
Matt86
Board Member

I'll get a pic of the AC relay harness when I get home. Here is the corresponding harness connector in the main dash harness. 3-plug:

And the all important 93' Wiring diagram

Alldata isn't great when it comes to older wiring diagrams. I look my 89 up and it only shows one wire to the ECM, but a 1990 has two, the same 214/14 and 214/15-same as a 1993. I'll have to do some more diagram studying, I have access to the genuine Volvo green books.
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #32
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Does K-Jet.org also have those wiring schematics for the various years? I've got a set of 84 Greenbooks which match my 242, and a later Bentley for the 240 (don't think it has schematics).

I see the snowflake switch and the AC relay in your schematic.... and I recall that black foam/goo covered connector on the AC harness (had to disconnect to harvest the 93 HVAC reactor unit). I sure don't see the relay # in that schematic, but if it's the only one connected in that fashion I know where it is/was on that 93 donor in PnP South. Hope it's still there if I can get back on Sunday....... shoot me a PM with the relay PN if you can.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #33
Matt86
Board Member

The AC Relay & switch subharness. The white/red wire goes to the blower fan switch.

Relay PN 1363449
Old 04-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #34
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Matt, YOU ARE THE MAN!

Sadly my wiring in the 84 diagrams (K-Jet.org download) don't tell me jack &*^% about the AC wiring. I cannot tell if what you have pictured will connect directly to the 84 harness. I'd bet most all the cash in my wallet, it won't. I sure do recall seeing that relay..... and miniharness..... if memory serves it was on the pass. side framework (dash support structure that I unbolted/extracted to harvest the HVAC reactor.

PnP, bless their heart, didn't even charge me for the evaporator. I'm so ashamed.....

Edit - where does the snowflake rocker switch connect? Is that what you meant by "fan blower"?

Last edited by DET17; 04-05-2017 at 11:37 AM..
Old 04-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #35
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Wait wut you have a PnP in Georgia?

http://www.picknpull.com/locations.aspx

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #36
Matt86
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post
Matt, YOU ARE THE MAN!

Sadly my wiring in the 84 diagrams (K-Jet.org download) don't tell me jack &*^% about the AC wiring. I cannot tell if what you have pictured will connect directly to the 84 harness. I'd bet most all the cash in my wallet, it won't. I sure do recall seeing that relay..... and miniharness..... if memory serves it was on the pass. side framework (dash support structure that I unbolted/extracted to harvest the HVAC reactor.

PnP, bless their heart, didn't even charge me for the evaporator. I'm so ashamed.....

Edit - where does the snowflake rocker switch connect? Is that what you meant by "fan blower"?
The relay clips to the side of the center stack, I believe on the right side. The snowflake switch plugs in to the white 2-wire connector on that sub harness. There also is a ground wire (seen with the bare eyelet). It grounds at one of the two ground screws on that crossbeam.

The white/red wire, goes to the fan speed switch connector, seen here:

Looking at various diagrams, this system is only plug and play for a 91-93 as far as pre-existing dash harnesses go. Luckly my 89 is a LH 2.4 which shares the same wiring at the ECM for the pressure sensor and AC relay as the 93-but the wiring and connectors that are part of the main dash harness and engine compartment are different, I'll have to adapt the 93 AC wiring in to my 89 harness somehow. I'll probably just make an overlay harness to wire it up like the 1993 donor car.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #37
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Thanks Matt. I might go back with a pair of meat scissors.... and try and cut most/all of that AC harness free from that 93. Conner850 has the full harness pic in his online image folder. I've got no LH wiring, unless it's LH1.0 ! Only cabin functions must play with the AC, as the balance underhood will be a homebuilt MS or VEMS setup.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #38
connorb850
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by To old for this View Post
Did you get the rh firewall pannel? It is a must have part for this update.
Good point. DET17, were you able to pull that panel? My parts diagram is definitely showing this as a different part for 91+
connorb850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #39
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorb850 View Post
Good point. DET17, were you able to pull that panel? My parts diagram is definitely showing this as a different part for 91+
Nope, sure didn't. Removed all the floor and firewall sound deadening material & mounts as it was pristine. When I'm back I'll snatch that RH Panel.... thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #40
Matt86
Board Member

Yes, the firewall panel sure is different. It has a single opening for the evaporator (which uses a rubber gasket/seal). The older system has two individual holes for each line.

There are three holes, one for the engine harness (top), HVAC vac line, and ABS harness. Since my 89 lacks ABS, I'll have to plug the bottom hole.

I used one of these red caps that come with used engines we buy. I'll probably use some windshield adhesive to seal it up.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #41
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Thanks for the pics Matt, hopefully going back this weekend to fetch the RH panel, and as much of the AC wiring as I can salvage.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #42
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Last (hopefully) trip complete. Got the RH panel, and another piece of the harness. Sadly, the AC relay was nowhere to be seen, so someone else snatched it. I did pull the complete rearend while I was there.... not too many 100k mile 240 rear ends with the speed setup installed, left to be had. Parking brake cables were near new looking.

Will get some pics of what I grabbed for wiring. I'm sure I will end up with a composite harness for a 93 AC system merged with an 84 dash wiring.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #43
To old for this
Board Member

The delay relay might be the same as the older one. It is there for a time delay before the a/c clutch energizes
To old for this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #44
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

OK, the pics of the 93 240 AC harvest:

[IMG][/IMG]

Full HVAC reactor unit with the R134a evaporator

Here is the small harness which is attached to the unit:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last, the pusher fan, which I understand was used in perhaps the 91-93 cars, plus as much of the harness as I could cut out (back to the +12V bus right above the battery):

[IMG][/IMG]

I didn't get the relay that Matt showed earlier.... it was gone. Will have to wait for another late model 240 to hit the Pullapart near me. I'll get to studying the 84 wiring to see how to best retrofit the 93 system control.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #45
Matt86
Board Member

Good score. I'm going to start tearing down my 89 in the next few weekends.

I've already dressed my HVAC box with a new blower motor and OEM resistor. The one that was in it worked fine, had low miles on it, but knowing my luck.......I don't want to do this job again.

According to FCP-that relay is the same as the older 1990- systems
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...40-760-1363449
Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #46
impolvo
Is always busy

Heat the same ac better
Thats why you get a mans car... A 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidponymilk View Post
You people keep crushing them, you're going to run out eventually.
impolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #47
Matt86
Board Member

In the middle of my big 89 to 93 changeover. Here the 82?-1990 HVAC unit next to the 93 unit (on the right). The evaporator in the 93 is massive compared to the 89. The 93 evaporator looks bigger then the evaporator in my 1998 V70.

The good news is that it bolts right in place of the 90-older box. Fits perfectly.

I ended up using the 93 heater control valve, I had to make a new hose for it since the one from my donor car disappeared until I got the dash all back in.

The older style heater control valve that was seized
Old 04-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #48
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
The good news is that it bolts right in place of the 90-older box. Fits perfectly.

I ended up using the 93 heater control valve, I had to make a new hose for it since the one from my donor car disappeared until I got the dash all back in.
Gotta love those factory solutions FTW!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #49
Matt86
Board Member

Up and running!

Had the suction line redone as the old one was leaking at the crimps. Pulled a vacuum on it and it held, filled with with 1.64 LBS of R134A and some oil.....blowing ice cold and everything works as designed. Fan cycles as it should. Pretty much a stand alone system, it would probably run with no ECM inputs.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #50
Matt86
Board Member

Double post whoops

Last edited by Matt86; 05-03-2017 at 06:44 PM..