home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Default High Idle after TB gasket replacement

As the title says, after I replaced the TB gasket, my idle has been going at around 900-1000 when it normally ran at ~750 like the sticker says it's supposed to. When the car initially starts, it's around the normal 750, but slowly raises up to ~950.

1987 240, LH2.2

Last edited by GeneralBurrito; 09-11-2019 at 11:33 AM..
GeneralBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Fa182
Stage 1

Not sure if it's the same on 2.2 than on 2.4, but did you check the linkage rod on the TPS so the "click" is audible when you turn the throttle spool?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

It clicks when you just barely twist the TB.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
Fa182
Stage 1

Could be something else though, I just had the same issue a while back and I adjusted it according to Spec and it was fixed:

- With a 0.15 mm feeler gauge inserted between the throttle lever and the throttle stop screw, clicks should be heard as you open and close the throttle.
- With a 0.45 mm feeler gauge inserted between the throttle lever and the throttle stop screw, no clicks should be heard when you open and close the throttle.

Like I said, it's just my first guess and other people will chime in with other hints I'm sure.
Fa182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
GeneralBurrito
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fa182 View Post
Could be something else though, I just had the same issue a while back and I adjusted it according to Spec and it was fixed:

- With a 0.15 mm feeler gauge inserted between the throttle lever and the throttle stop screw, clicks should be heard as you open and close the throttle.
- With a 0.45 mm feeler gauge inserted between the throttle lever and the throttle stop screw, no clicks should be heard when you open and close the throttle.

Like I said, it's just my first guess and other people will chime in with other hints I'm sure.
I adjust it with the connector between the cable throttle cable and the throttle lever right?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
cleanflametrap
Board Member

Not that you would do this, but it is possible to mix up the connectors for TPS and IAC which will usually result in an open transistor in the ECU's idle valve driver pair. And a high idle.

The wires going to the TPS: Blue/white, Orange, Black.

To the IAC: Brown/white, Green/red, Brown.

Last edited by cleanflametrap; 09-11-2019 at 01:19 PM..
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Fa182
Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBurrito View Post
I adjust it with the connector between the cable throttle cable and the throttle lever right?
I did it as it is described in my Haynes manual:

- Disconnect the linkage rod and make sure the spool is resting against the idle stop (with the little notch on the side of the spool).
- Reconnect the linkage rod and insert feeler gauge with 2,5mm between the above described position
- Then the clearance between the idle adjustment screw and throttle lever must be as specified in my earlier post.
- If it's out of spec, adjust it by turning the linkage rod.
Fa182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
dl242gt
Happy playing the blues

it's a different idle switch on the 240 turbos and 82 B21F with CIS but I have experienced that the switch clicks but doesn't actually work anymore. You can use an ohm meter to check that the switch is opening and closing the cicuit properly. Back probe the connector with your meter leads to check. or put the leads directly on the switch terminals after removing the connector.
dl242gt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
cleanflametrap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
it's a different idle switch on the 240 turbos and 82 B21F with CIS but I have experienced that the switch clicks but doesn't actually work anymore. You can use an ohm meter to check that the switch is opening and closing the cicuit properly. Back probe the connector with your meter leads to check. or put the leads directly on the switch terminals after removing the connector.
Exactly.

And what I've seen (felt and observed) is the Microswitch in the TPS completes its audible "click" before the throttle is opened to the point where the switch actually opens electrically. Perhaps the reverse can be true.

Made a breakout from some junkyard cables and someone's discarded Ford OBD reader. Amazing what unrelated stuff you find tossed into cars being scrapped. It already had slide switches to "break the circuit" and an LED to monitor the TPS closed-throttle switch.

Last edited by cleanflametrap; 09-11-2019 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: reversed switch operation
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote