• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing the turbo charger from a turbocharged 740

This thread is Peak Volvo.

Long, long ago, I owned a turbo car and the turbo seized. It was a $500 car and I was poor anyway, so I evaluated the situation, did nothing about it, and just drove a car that I'd estimate without hyperbole at around forty to sixty horsepower until I parked it behind my friend's house and we all threw cinderblocks at it. The turbo was a significant impediment in the exhaust flow, but the manifold had enough cracks that I wasn't too worried. This was without question my automotive rock-bottom, and I relay this so you understand I have some experience with unturbocharging a car.

Doing what you suggest is like punching yourself in the face until you have black eyes, because the result is different from having a normal face that doesn't hurt, and for science. There is nothing of value to be gained or learned. You will only make something worse.

I'll trade you a n.a. 240 you'll need a down pipe and manifold n.a.computers you could just remove turbo and block the oil and coolant lines and be done

I remember when I locked the waste gate open on my 88 765 with 90+ manifold and TD04-13c when the turbo went out. It was a lot slower getting up to speed and the exhaust was obnoxiously loud. Turning the boost down is a better option than removing the turbo.

I just installed a new turbo and have the wastegate puck just flapping open in the breeze. The car can barely make it up a steep hill.

Why yes, yes it is.

I HAVE PROOF.

guido1.jpg

I grew up in New Jersey, and nothing there is bad enough to make you take a turbo off a turbo car.

YES THERE IS, SEE ABOVE.

Jersey shore doesn't represent New Jersey. Just like Valley Girls don't represent all of California. Both are a small slce of shallow consumerism lifestyle brand living. See life style brand thread.

I want to put a 6.0 in my 240 but then run it like a v6..even tho I have a 4.3 I could use... Then compound turbo it with saab turbos with them blocked off to make it n.a. You think blowing two saab turbos into a 1.39 a.r. t6 flange Detroit diesel turbo with no guts in any of them would work? Would this setup work in my plow truck if I just throw it in the box? I also have a buick park avenue with a blower, should I pull the belt off? For science...chickens like yogurt but I hate it, yet I like eggs, should I turbo or n.a.a chicken? Do chickens spool? Thanks

Last edited:
I want to put a 6.0 in my 240 but then run it like a v6..even tho I have a 4.3 I could use... Then compound turbo it with saab turbos with them blocked off to make it n.a. You think blowing two saab turbos into a 1.39 a.r. t6 flange Detroit diesel turbo with no guts in any of them would work? Would this setup work in my plow truck if I just throw it in the box? I also have a buick park avenue with a blower, should I pull the belt off? For science...chickens like yogurt but I hate it, yet I like eggs, should I turbo or n.a.a chicken? Do chickens spool? Thanks

That sir was absolutely fantastic.

Back