• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

RIP my 5 speed?

Cwazywazy

Single jingle
So recently I've noticed a bit of weirdness getting out of second after WOT with my M47. Today it became almost impossible to get into first (Even with the engine off and car stopped) and hard to get into second. Other gears are fine and it moves just fine once it's in gear. Did I break a shifter fork or something like that?
M46 swap time?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-z51A5wfKqM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So when it's in the air in neutral the tires are spinning. I've noticed this before, but now it takes a lot more effort to stop the tire with my foot. (Locker diff.) Maybe that means something?

When the clutch and pilot bearing were worn out. that made my wagon M47 hard to engage first and second. Of course there is shifter linkage stuff in the trans that could be damaged so that is another possibility. These things are pretty old now.

When the clutch and pilot bearing were worn out. that made my wagon M47 hard to engage first and second. Of course there is shifter linkage stuff in the trans that could be damaged so that is another possibility. These things are pretty old now.

Possibly, but the fact that it still won't shift with the engine off tells me otherwise.

To put a M47 trans in first gear with the engine off may still require the clutch. That is normal. But there may be damaged shift selector parts if there are problems with shifting and the clutch and pilot bearing are known good.

To put a M47 trans in first gear with the engine off may still require the clutch. That is normal. But there may be damaged shift selector parts if there are problems with shifting and the clutch and pilot bearing are known good.

Well, either way it looks like the trans is coming out. Might as well throw in the M46 (Way less worn out) and a new pressure plate/pilot bearing/etc.

^Yes. 85% of the 240's out there use the same crossmember. Some turbo autotragic cars and 1975 models seem to use different crossmembers.

-J

Well, I'm not sure about the crossmembers, as all M47 crossmembers I've seen had rubber bushings where they connect to the frame rails.
BW55/M45 uses a different one without rubber bushings, one M46 I've seen was just like these.

Btw that shifter has funky moves! I'm personally amazed at the amount of free play it has.

Last edited:
I've only seen the crossmember with the rubber bushings around the body mounting bolts on M47 cars. All of my M46 cars and automatics that I've seen have a crossmember with just bolt holes for the body mounting.

Back