• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Seat Base and Seat Heater Element Questions

MSGGrunt

The easy, I think, first. Where I have an extra driver's side seat base is there any reason I can't swap the base over to the passenger's side? The added benefit would be the easier adjustability of the driver's base.

Second question. Having stripped several driver's seats to find they had deteriorated foam bottoms and side bolsters I removed the heating elements before trashing the foams. This got me to thinking.

Can I use the extra heating elements to provide more area on the seat that is heated? Being from New England and the fact that the leather seat upholstery I will be installing is much thicker than the cloth OEM covers I thought extra heating would be nice. I know anything that "heats" draws a good amount of power/amps. Would wiring the two elements as one in the back and the same with the bottom over-load wiring and or fuses or both?

Attachments

• DSCN1979.jpg
    DSCN1979.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1977.jpg
    DSCN1977.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 41
The seat base should work. I like the idea that you can also raise and lower the seat height. I'm not sure about doubling up on the seat heaters, others will chime in. You have 2 240s. Take a drivers' seat out and install it on the passenger side. See if works the way you want, only 4 nuts on each seat.

I like how you have increased the heating area. However, yes you will stress the wiring and fuses that are finicky at best. It would be pretty simple though to add a relay to handle the power needs, and use the existing switch/wiring/fuse to trigger the relay. It would be just like the headlight relay upgrade.

I don't know. Something about the sketchy thermostats, thin wires and 4 25 year old heating pads. It may be nothing.

Back