• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

73 P1800ES with B23F, K cam, and dual DCOEs

Qckslvr

Since my P1800 has a 1984 B23F in it I thought I would post it here. :)

I recently purchased the car, and have been having some fun with it. The stock B20 fuel injected motor had been replaced with the B23F. This was done some time back in 2000, and the install was very clean. But there was some issues when I got it. It had a Weber 32/36 DGV carb on a very nicely made intake manifold. With this it also had the stock fuel injection distributor, with no working vacuum advance. This made the car very doggish on the freeway, especially in 5th gear. In the spirit of wanting to make things go faster I decided I wanted to put quad Mikunis on it. I was told that they would not fit. This made me determined, and instead I fitted much larger dual 45 DCOEs to a Mangoletsi intake manifold. I also installed a 123 ignition distributor so that I can run it on pure mechanical advance.

The car runs like a top, and is quite quick. It sits on a set of 240 turbo wheels, IPD springs, IPD sway bars, and energy suspension full poly kit. The car is in the body shop right now getting the rust fixed in it. :(

with the single DGV

Upgraded with dual 45 DCOEs :D

The breather and dipstick had to modified. The dipstick was easy, I just cut the bracket, rotated the stick and re-welded it. The breather I am still not confident about. I cleaned that nightmare of an oil trap out, and stuck a Chevy PCV filter to the top of it. Right now it just vents to air. It hasn't started leaking, or consuming oil.

Here is one of the distributor maps I had for the B23F

any suggestions is greatly appreciated thanks :D

so simple to tune even a parts guy can do it

Edit: I forgot to mention I just bought an IPD older adjustable timing gear and a Kevlar timing belt. I was recommended to run 4* advance with the K cam.

This is so awesome! I was the one who first put the b23 into that car! I bought it as a non-runner from a repair shop in Chico, it was sitting outside for a long time. The B20 was old and tired, the injection system was wanky and it was an automatic. My father and I installed the B23. The grand plan was to eventually add a turbo or at least fuel injection. At the time I as a college student and I never had the money to really fix the car up right. I am looking forward to see what you do with it!

the car is in the body shop still :( Fixing rust issues. I did get my new windshield, and the windows have been tinted now.

20131016_114354_zps34123134.jpg

20131016_114409_zps94b2eb97.jpg

Forgot to post this here.

Some Weber jetting numbers

Idle jet: 75F8 (massive!)
Mains: 145
Air Correctors: 200
Emulsion tubes: F16
Accelerator pump: 45
Feed backs: 40

This is the jetting that I am running in the Webers. Car runs like a champ on these jets. Apparently Volvos like really large idle jets, bigger than a V8!

You have a wideband or tuning by plug color/seat o' the pants? What size chokes on those 45s?

38mm chokes, and I am using an AEM wideband that I modified to look some what like a stock Smiths gauge. I am currently trying to find some one to silk screen a new gauge face for me to complete the look :)

But yes the butt dyno is very impressed. When it gets out of the body shop it will get strapped to a real dyno.

20131002_165727_edit0_zpscd29fcf0.jpg

More goodies for the P1800. :D

Got an adjustable IPD timing gear and Kevlar belt for the B23 :D

And a beautiful no cracks or blemishes Momo Rosewood Indy steering wheel, with Dave Barton Moose horn button, and Luisi hub adaptor :D

Parts, parts and more parts. I have supported every vendor that sells P1800 parts I think :p Dash covers are from IPD, Carpet kit Ebay, door clips and new chrome moldings from P1800, Vents and ley blanks from iRoll, hatch goodies from CVI, body gaskets and window runners from Swedish treasures.

More parts

and oh yes, indeed, the happier of the days. I have found my Galaxy wheels! I got three from Chad142, the USPS has lost one of them, but 3 days later it showed up. :D You are thinking well you still need one more wheel. Well I now have a full set coming from Sweden :D I found a gentleman on Savar Turbo willing to sell me a set. Not a bad deal either, no more than I would have paid for a set here in the states.

Still no car though :( Royally sucks :( The rainy season is starting and the P1800 got pushed into a corner :( But this is as per agreement, and it is how I am keeping the cost of the paint job down.

The grand plan was to eventually add a turbo or at least fuel injection.

What's really nice about the B23 instal is that it fits. By being able to mount at the 15 deg slant, you have way more options as to space and clearance for the carbs and not modify anything.

When you add a turbo this gets complicated on an 1800 as well as a 140 as you need to mount the engine upright.

OP:
Your ignition curve may be better running static at 18-22 deg.

I think the power potential with those Webers is better than FI

Nice build.

It's gonna be very cool and worth the wait. Nice car.

Now find another hobby to keep you busy and time will fly....:)

I am keeping busy restoring a real 1970 Chevy Camaro SS with a 383 stroker motor for a friend. I have the engine on the stand now, and she is deciding if she wants to keep the stock suspension or upgrade it for road coarse driving.

What's really nice about the B23 instal is that it fits. By being able to mount at the 15 deg slant, you have way more options as to space and clearance for the carbs and not modify anything.

When you add a turbo this gets complicated on an 1800 as well as a 140 as you need to mount the engine upright.

OP:
Your ignition curve may be better running static at 18-22 deg.

I think the power potential with those Webers is better than FI

Nice build.

that seems high for static timing, but I will give it a try. It is super easy to change advance curves. I can even have two curves set up with a toggle switch to switch between them.

cosbySweater sold me the cam gear and recommended 4 degrees advance for the K cam. So that is what I will also try.

Back