• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fixing 240 seat "Gangsta Lean"

propav8r

F*ck Edgar
You know what I'm talking about...the 240s with seats that lean to the middle of the car. I've found that it's caused by friends getting in and out of the backseat by grabbing onto the front seats, not that any tbrickers would know anything about that

Anyway, My girlfriend's 240 has this seat lean, and the only way that I've found to fix it is by twisting the seat back straight again, a solution that only works temporarily. Is there a solution that will permanently fix the problem?

I found that a weld was needed at the pivot point. The rod that runs across the bottom of the seat to pivot the seat back, the piece it engages wears. Either weld it or replace it.

Edit: mine was leaning back in the center of the car from someone in the back grabbing the seat to lean forward.

1.25 inch drawn tube cut to fit and welded down a bit from the top and up a bit
from the bottom (*POST* "re=alignment by force")...I have to do this repair a LOT
for customers and they don't even know it has been done UNTIL they go to get
in the drivers seat and are AMAZED the the "seat is STRAIGHT AGAIN"! ;-)
(of COURSE, you have o make sure ALL of the seatback frame is squared away
and repaired as needed - the tubing is the "frosting on the cake"....
I just posted this to someone ELSE looking for a seat repair...find that post and follow
the "seat back URL" for another neat trick.....

here's the thread (posts #2 and 4)
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=254793

Last edited:
All other 240 seat repairs aside, the 'Gangsta Lean' is a common problem caused by wear to the hinge that is part of the adjustment for the seat back. Years of heavy foot pedal force against the back on the right driver side is the most common. The stamped metal gear hinge is available and not too many ways to fix it except to put a tac weld on the gear tooth that is worn out where you would use it the most and leave it there permanently and forget about seat back adjustability.
Another 'fix' is to tilt the seat back to another position where the gear is not worn. It may not be exactly where you would want it, but it will fix the problem from where it was worn.
The hinge is (was) available at a hefty price (heh, just looked at Tasca and they still list it for $90, the amount I paid for one about 15 years ago.)
In order to replace it, you need to disassemble the seat frame and adjustment knob from the two hinges, take a circlip off the end of the horiz shaft, and take the hinge off.
Since the procedure is a PITA, once you take it off and decide to weld or fix otherwise, you may as well get a new hinge and fix it right.

Slika022.jpg

...and I thought my heap was the only one that did that. :roll:

Seems to be getting worse as time passes, too -- though I have to say no backseat drivers have accompanied me on the ride. For the record - it does seem like the 'new generation's lean' tilts to the door, with the left ear effectively rubbing the driver door frame as they roll. Gosh, seems quite uncomfortable - but that's just me, that's just me (overlooked). HA.

It will usually get worse over time , untill the welds snap off completely. Take of the covers etc , and as TrickMick said , re-align the frame , easiest with the seat still in the car. Then brace the frame with something welded to it , and it shouldnt rear its ugly head again.....

850 seats are a pretty easy fit. i wish i could see the car in person because i know what you are talking about but i've never been asked to fix it. i'd love to figure something out.

850 seats are a pretty easy fit. i wish i could see the car in person because i know what you are talking about but i've never been asked to fix it. i'd love to figure something out.

Do you mean that 850 seats fit easily into a 240? My 240 has gangsta lean and my junkyard has loads of 850's.

I have Corbeau wide Sport seats in my 88 244GL. They look almost stock, but much better support.

Could you please post a pic of those Corbeau seats you installed?

That may be a decent plan. I love them in our '97. Wiring them up one wouldn't be a huge deal either.

850 seats might be a good thing to remember. Mine doesn't have lean, but the PO or POs left it outside in the sun all the time and the vinyl upholstry is absolutely destroyed. 850 seats might be cheaper than having new covers sewn.

Did the 850 come with cloth option, or are they all leather?

Had the same problem on the driver's seat on my 1990 240. Took the seat cover and foam off and found that there were two broken welds. Brought it to a local welder and paid him $30 to re-weld it. Problem solved.

Back