• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Naked gaskets: 740 Turbo

Mr. V

I am putting the turbo back on my '86 744 Turbo and decided not to put any sealant on the two gaskets used between the two oil lines (oil inlet, oil drain lines).

Will this likely end in a messy "Fail," or should the gaskets seal just fine "naked?"

Ive never used sealant on the return.

My feed is an AN style and doesn’t need sealant. What does the stock feed look like?

As long as the baskets are in good shape you will be fine. I’ve even gotten away with super cheap drain gaskets from kinugawa and never had issues. Gotta remember drain isn’t under pressure.

You should run a gasket on the oil feed. If that leaks pressurized oil on the exhaust or turbine......bust out the marshmellows and enjoy the Car-B-Q!!!

The stock feed uses two brass or copper round washer type gaskets. The stock oil drain uses a paper gasket between the turbo and the drain tube and at the block for the drain is a rubber o-ring gasket. You need them all or it will leak.

The stock feed uses two brass or copper round washer type gaskets. The stock oil drain uses a paper gasket between the turbo and the drain tube and at the block for the drain is a rubber o-ring gasket. You need them all or it will leak.

86 is Garrett T3.

IIRC the T3 uses paper gaskets for the oil feed and drain. If it's water cooled you'll also need crush washers.

I doubt the factory used any liquid sealant on the paper gaskets; green book would spec it if they did. I put the red anaerobic in a thin layer to ensure any voids in the machined casting didn't weep oil. Just my anal OCD behavior..... but while you're there...... why not?

I wound up leaving the bottom paper gasket (drain) naked, and used a small amount of Permatex non-hardening gasket sealant on the top (inlet) paper gasket.

Re-used the copper crush rings on the banjo bolts, but first I lightly sanded them to smooth off any rough edges.

Hoping for success ...

To reuse copper washers heat them with a torch to glowing then them let air-cool to re-anneal them.

I've done that before, but I wanted to try it without putting the torch to them, just to see how it works out.

Fortunately it's easy to access the banjo bolts if there is a leak.

Back