• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Diesel refuses to diesel

OM617 isn't very long, and is a decently compact package. It's a common swap for 22re powered pickups.

The automatics behind the merc diesels are worse than an aw70 with a broken kick-down cable. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

Couldn't be worse than a 3 speed, right? I like an automatic that I can control with my right foot. The BW55 was too downshift happy around 30-45 and the lack of overdrive was painful.

Also, I still don't get how it just suddenly ate the bores like that. I was cruising at top speed (84mph) at about 95% throttle a day or two before it quit running. The last drive was down the road to the store, it started fine and I didn't beat on it at all. I drove it about a mile.

I'm concerned about driveshaft and mounts, mainly. The only engine swap I've done is a redblock to redblock, then back to the first redblock.

There are some pics of an om in a 245. Was for sale in AZ about 5 years ago. I did notice the oil pan needed all kinds of hacking to clear the crossmember

Then there was the Oregon guy doing tdi into a 245 and selling them for idiot money

images

Honestly, I'd like a D24t just for simplicity. But I highly doubt I can find one. The only one I've seen for sale locally was bundled with a 245 diesel. (The second or third 240d I've seen on CL in my area, including mine.)

Gonna go look at a 300D thats been parked for about 10 years tomorrow. List price $2k.. The only driveable-looking one I saw for under a grand had a hater pipe and he never replied.

And I JUST got the AC chilly. Now I have to suffer the 15-degrees-warmer AC of my wagon.

I'm kinda gonna miss the slow-car-fast fun of this thing. Racing semi trucks, smoking commuters while trying to get up to highway speed, timing traffic lights to keep my speed up, etc.. A few weeks ago I was next to a cop at a red light and I slammed the smoke pedal when it went green. Can't do that in any other car.

EDIT: Also, who uses RTV on exhaust manifold gaskets?

Last edited:
On the tube of high temp rtv copper permatex or loctite stuff. It says you can use it on exhaust gaskets. Says it handles up to 700 degrees or some crap.

I have a redblock if you want to swap to that. It's a 78 kjet B21F, perfect to replace a diesel. You'll get more performance, less mileage, and it'll last at least three times longer than a D24.

With a B21F you'll still be Volvo slow and able to do much of what you describe above except for the smoke out. lol.

Last edited:
I replaced the air filter not too long ago. Pretty oily and kinda dirty, but no holes or anything.

I already own two of the same car, not gonna have the same engines in them.

I found a 300 turbodiesel wagon that comes with a 4 speed manual in the back for a grand. Fingers crossed.

I replaced the air filter not too long ago. Pretty oily and kinda dirty, but no holes or anything.

I already own two of the same car, not gonna have the same engines in them.

I found a 300 turbodiesel wagon that comes with a 4 speed manual in the back for a grand. Fingers crossed.

You will need the driveshaft, master cylinder, shifter linkage, shift bezel and the hydraulic lines. Crossmember, etc etc

This is the worst car I've ever driven. It overheated nuclear hot, even with the roadkill treatment. Steering sloppy, brakes not brakey, rusty rust, horrible, HORRIBLE drivers seat, ruined interior, missing gas pedal. Ran great even with the gauge pegged. I won't feel bad gutting this car. $600.

4sSZ0QEh.jpg

Did some poking around, turns out the coolant gauge jumps about 10 or 15 degrees up if the blinker is on, and when I drove it home the left blinker was stuck on. I did some WOT pulls until the gauge said 110c (230f) and my IR gun said the block was 190f and top radiator hose about 175f.

Also the hood removal did make a difference.

Last edited:
Does that car have the spin-on fuel filter bracket with integrated hand pump for bleeding injector lines when you run it out of fuel? It's super handy when needed.

My Dad's old diesel Land Rover had that.

If you ever ran it out of fuel, it's either crank for about 2 weeks, or crack the lines and use the little pull handle on the low pressure fuel lift pump.

Does that car have the spin-on fuel filter bracket with integrated hand pump for bleeding injector lines when you run it out of fuel? It's super handy when needed.
I don't believe the w123's had that feature. My 240D didn't, but the w115's did.

It even has functional hydraulic suspension. I definitely want a good 300TD someday. I can tell it used to be a really nice car to drive. But this one is hammered. It even has moss growing on the back carpet. I kicked the rear bumper and it fell off.

Plan is to part it out and try to make my money back (Came with tons of stuff in the back) and yank the engine out. It idles a bit rough but under throttle it runs nice and quiet. Also, does anyone know if these Merc wheels bolt onto a 240? They have nice studded snow tires that I'd like to use. I think I've seen one or two 240s with these rims but I dunno if they had adapters or anything.

Back