• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Using a V6 T5

John, I think you have a lot of information that could be useful to the board, but the insulting manner in which it's offered really is off-putting and often insulting.

Please consider giving it a rest. :nod:

No. Imformation sloppily put, Mr Bill claiminfg a less that 15 differenece makes one gearset sh!t to drive, THAT is really insulting..
Not intentionally but it is common and frequent and insulting when people doping work on performance cars far longer than he has been on the eath have tried hard to get the silly people here to TRY AND THINK.

The comment "You must be one sensitive astute dude,

Or don't believe in magic like math."

is hardly insulting.. it is a casual throw away comment..

And evidently even with the exact figures there he can't see it's less than 1%.

It does deserve a comment and he;'s not a fragile child, he's an adult.

And if we are talking of insults, I find people accusing others who are supplying DETAILED ACCURATE and CORRECT information that "the info is good, but you weren't gentle (or whatever the fawk) enough in the manner given" , like you just did, highly insulting

Further
No comments to those ruining the forum with nonsensical drivel. but to somebody supplying the OP a good graphic so he sees clearly the way input shaft meshes with cluster---remember the OP do ya?----

And then making an effort to quash the bullsh!t MIS-information,

And you feel you must scold...:roll:

I shrug my shoulders..:e-shrug:

It's not important but why didn't you feel compelled to scold the others for their mis-information?

John, I think you miss the point. One can point out an error without an insulting tone and without calling or inferring that someone is stupid. It seems that there is a general tone in your posts that everyone on turbobricks is an idiot except you. Your posts would be a whole lot more useful if they stuck to the facts of the matter at hand and less on insulting others.

John, I think you miss the point. One can point out an error without an insulting tone and without calling or inferring that someone is stupid. It seems that there is a general tone in your posts that everyone on turbobricks is an idiot except you. Your posts would be a whole lot more useful if they stuck to the facts of the matter at hand and less on insulting others.

Its the personal trainer aspect of selling car parts.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was more than able to get all the information from any of John's posts. The 'outside agitator' portion of his screen-name should signal the sensitive types to add a pillow to their chair so they don't easily bruise their woman-parts.

I am not here to help people cure their imaginary feelings of inadequacy, or their imaginary feelings of superiority, we're talking about really simple stuff---parts assemebled in various ways so as to work together well.

I'm so tired of our kind of whining that "I am insulting so-and so" supposedly sensitive feelings that I don't know what to do but ask you point blank:

What do you suggest the authorial voice be when encountering statements flat out wrong, and when these flat out wrong statements are posted as flat declarative statements with no qualifying or mitigating clauses?

I tried once adopting a tone that every single point in every single point was not only right but brilliant and keen insightful. Every single point, just that some points and opinions were even more extraordinarily brilliant than others were brilliant..

People demanded "the Old JV back".

And again I ask you in clear text: why complain about excellent, accurate information delivered in a very very mildly sarcatic/ironic tone-----

and no complaints about ridiculous, throw away gut feeling words which are often not just slightly wrong, but blatantly wrong--and un-thoughtful---.??.

What you are positing is: as long as what you perceive the tone to be is "friendly and pleasant" then it does not matter if the opinion and information in a post is complete nonsense.

And I am not calling or inferring that people are stupid.. But it is painfully clear that many are not only completely lacking knowledge---the word is a neutral word called 'ignorant' (but unfortunately, most being woefully ignorant of the meanings of words, the average person thinks that is a synonym of "stupid" which it is not in the least) and they have been badly mis-led by the barrage of poor information in this "information age", and that since for many their lives revolve around TYPING, they seem to want to resist information based on "the real world".

So, please, tell me exactly the words you would find acceptable to use when responding to guys who post nonsense.

Can we just find a part no. so everyone is happy (then we have the resource). And argue about ratios elsewhere?

Correct me If I'm wrong.
But if the box has 3.35 ratios and a neddle roller style bearing then it is 23T "1352-085-025"

John V said:
highly insulting[/B]

Further
No comments to those ruining the forum with nonsensical drivel. but to somebody supplying the OP a good graphic so he sees clearly the way input shaft meshes with cluster---remember the OP do ya?----

And then making an effort to quash the bullsh!t MIS-information,

And you feel you must scold...:roll:

I shrug my shoulders..:e-shrug:

It's not important but why didn't you feel compelled to scold the others for their mis-information?

I think John was very quick to offer informative input to the original post. I too have caught Johns wrath on some of my motor build questions. But it always led me to do better work, and/ or, a little more digging into researching my problem. I always like to hear from John V. And the OP should thicken his skin a bit, I mean, You were the one asking questions, ...yes?

IMHO

I should like to echo Wren's point of view. IMHO the way John V puts his point is often unnecessarily insulting.

Moreover the way he puts it often IMHO obscures the often good point being made.

Noblesse oblige.

You love 3.35 x 3.9 which = 13.06
you hate 2.95 x 4.11 which = 12.12

You are expecting pooor innocent tubobrickers to believe a) that whatever you felt was this "drastic" gear ratio difference, and b) it sucked. and c) therefore--THE BEST gearset for a Volvo sucked for everyday driving around

The difference in overall gearing---gear reduction in the box multiplied by the gear reduction in the final drive in the axle (and foolishly ignoring the role of the diameter of the tire)

Those gear ratio differences are the approximate difference in diameter between a steel cylinder 650mm And one 654.5mm

I say steel because in any tire which flattens some I cannot calculate the difference.

You must be one sensitive astute dude,

Or don't believe in magic like math..:oops:
How did you arrive at those numbers? Show your work. ;-)

I should like to echo Wren's point of view. IMHO the way John V puts his point is often unnecessarily insulting.

Moreover the way he puts it often IMHO obscures the often good point being made.

Noblesse oblige.

It is all a point of view:

Whining people complaining about having to make a tiny tiny effort fro them to understand good information is insulting.
Consonantly complaining about having to expend a tiny bit of effort is unnecessarily insulting.

BAD information is worse than insulting.

Fawk me, life must be difficult for you guys with everything being so insulting..

Road-rage much?:roll:

How did you arrive at those numbers? Show your work. ;-)

Maybe it's more "put on the reading glasses " and then see the decimal point.:oops:
Point is the blanket statement by whassis name is silly, gearing being just one aspect amongst so many that people can screw up on, especially listening to the dogma here, that could account for the differences in the way the 2 cars he drove felt..
THAT kind of absurdist reasoning is BAD.

Eric said it right, take it as an opportunity to build the box correctly and fresh.

So, please, tell me exactly the words you would find acceptable to use when responding to guys who post nonsense.

John, at your age if someone has to spell out to you how not to come across as being condescending and insulting, there's probably no point in it.

Carry on.

John, at your age if someone has to spell out to you how not to come across as being condescending and insulting, there's probably no point in it.

Carry on.

Isn't it odd, that ANYBODY that calls and speaks on the phone remarks ---in between laughter and such--"You actually do write exactly as you speak---why do people get upset?"

YOU and the rest here , who feel free to accuse others of "being condescending" are INSULTING.

Can't you begiin to grasp that that YOU and many here many are insulting with your demands that others MUST speak in some "tone" you want?

It's not just insulting to demand of others that they speak /write in some unknown/imagined manner--it's insane to expect it.

Do you butt in to conversations in real life to bitterly complain to people GIVING GOOD ADVICE and yell "STOP YOU're CONDESCENDING AND INSULTING!!!!!" ?

And then demand people speak in some particular way?

Can you see how THAT, what you are doing, is in fact insulting to everybody?

Do you?
I seriously doubt it.

Stop derailing threads with personal attacks--you have to remember the MODS around here aren't very careful with tracking who begins these derailments that you and the complainers do periodically, they just lock them down and send me mean messages..

Like I said, John, carry on.

Further with your way of writing being construed as rude and insulting:
In real life when you are engaged in conversation--even evidently from your side a "heated' discussion---when somebody asks you a question do you not see that a refusal to address or respond to the questions asked is taken as rude and insulting?
I asked a few questions asking if you could see how your way of attacking what you imagine the "tone" is and demanding a some other "tone" can be seen as insulting.
You blew away those questions..
They directly asked "Can you see another point of view"..

Evidently you can take time to accuse and demand a different "tone" but you cannot take time to answer a persons questions..

That strikes me as insulting and rude.

It seems there is an awful lot of "YOU do as i say, not as I do"...

Sorry.

I think we should implement Robert's Rules of Order here. That would fix everything. Another reason to abolish OT when its in every thread on every topic anyways. :lol:

Now pardon me, I yield the rest of my time to whomever to say whatever whilst I go have some tea and crumpets and burn this dreadful right sock. It seems to have a wrinkle in it. Egad. :-(

John, the intention of my initial remark was not an attack, but it now appears that you now feel victimized as well. If this is the case, you have my apology.

To answer your question, sure, I suppose someone could have the opinion that not answering a question could be considered rude and I'll give you that requesting a more helpful/less derogatory tone could be interpreted as rudeness by someone (it's quite a stretch, you have to admit though). In turn, I request that you consider that if there is some misinformation in a conversation, it can be pointed out without making fun of someone or saying that they "don't do math" or some such. The whole point of my initial post was a request to cut out the typical "Stupid T'brickers don't know anything, but I do" response that seems to be the norm with you and has become tiresome....perhaps only tiresome to me, as I can't speak for others, but tiresome nonetheless. I don't doubt that you have some knowledge and experience to offer to the discussion, but inferring or calling someone stupid, ignorant, or dumb often only serves to alienate the reader(s). Good information that is presented in an unfriendly context might as well be bad information because it's often useless if the reader is taken aback by the tone of the writer and dismisses it.

Please consider the above in the friendly spirit in which it is offered and not as a personal attack or insult.

Last edited:
Back