• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help me with my first engine project - timing belt and camshaft change

16 lb ft is what it is. Sadly, as I found out the hard way, that’s the wrong value.
Adjustable timing gear install is the next thing I’m trying to understand.

Is Dale still active around here? Or does anyone have the instructions that they could send me?

guGRzkn

Here's a picture of the camshaft as it sits. How far do I rotate this to get to TDC? Does lobe 1 have to point straight up?

Edit: Can't seem to upload the pic. So here' a link to it.
https://imgur.com/a/guGRzkn

Rz73PQYl.jpg

Turn the cam until both lobes on cylinder 1 are pointing away from the head at equal but opposite angles relative to the valve cover sealing surface.

OP, notice how your cylinder 1 intake valve is depressed by the cam right now. You should be able to see the tip of both of cylinder 1s lobes. That way both valves are closed. That will be close to TDC. You need to turn the engine clockwise 90+ degrees or so.

Thanks @hiperfauto and @PromiseRing. That helps clarify it for me. My plan now is to just swap the cams out in the existing orientation and measure the shims while I'm at it. If I need to re-shim, I will measure each of the cylinders in the TDC orientation.

I think the last question I can think of what I'm not quite sure about is the adjustable timing gear installation.

Ordered parts from the local Volvo dealership and parts should be here end of the week.

To measure the clearance on each cylinder you will have to rotate the engine to each position that has the cam lobes like number one is when it is firing. Both valves closed. Start at number one like you are doing. Then follow the firing order which is 1,3,4,2. So you would rotate the engine till you see cylinder three lobes up and check clearances. Move to number four and lastly to number 2.

What kind of gear is it? I use Dales timing gear and it is the drilled type with multiple holes to select the cam timing position you want. You select the hole you want with the timing you want and install that on the cam dowel pin lined up with number one firing and using the mark on the timing belt cover.

Understood. I didn't realize I had to check it in the firing order. That is certainly helpful to know.
It's Dales timing gear - drilled type, which I believe it what you are also using.

I have reading threads where the suggestion is to use +4 deg with the M46/47. Is this also the case with the AW70 or should I attempt with +6 degrees?

Another question: when I am rotating the cam to measure the clearances across the cylinders, this will be independent of the intermediate shaft and the crankshaft. Does this mean that I can go the whole cycle of rotation on the camshaft without any issues?

Last edited:
Just rotate the cam and the crank to TDC prior to installing the belt. Be aware that it will shift a little once the tensioner takes up the slack. Rotate the motor by hand a couple of revolutions and recheck the alignment.

Be absolutely sure to align the distributor drive gear. I use a small screwdriver and lay it in the drive gear to make a pointer to be sure the gear isn't a tooth off. I often find this is the most difficult part of the process.

Start with +4. You will likely ping with more. If the motor pings on +4 on regular, try premium fuel. If it doesn't ping on regular at +4, you can try to advance it more. I dialed mine in that way. Dale's gear isn't a fixed gear, so you can loosen the fasteners and rotate the cam carefully (with the motor off) to advance/retard the cam.

Have fun!

Thank you everyone who's replied so far. I feel a lot more confident now.

Here's an image of the Dales gear I'll be installing.
SEOUsBQ.jpg
[/IMG]
I'm assuming the 0 degree is the one at 7 o'clock and each of those little dimples are in 2 degree increments?
If so, I just need to line up the dimple associated with the +4 degrees to the TDC mark for the camshaft?

Back