• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New member, old Volvo story

GT142

Hey, Guys...
thought I'd say hello.. Seems like a great place to exchange ideas and get help..
I've been a Volvo lover for years. You'll have to pardon my writing skills, theres more grease under my fingernails than ink...

Years ago I had a beautiful 70' 142 with 112k miles, converted the car to a stick from auto and then drove the wheels off her. One day I got T-boned by a fella going about 40mph. The car saved my friends life, we got hit on the passenger side and hamburger and soda went everywhere. A memorable day for sure...
Anyhow, I've been on the hunt for a nice 142 ever since. Actually about a year ago I bought Harry's green meanie 142. The car was just a little to invigorating for me, so it got passed on to the right guy (an electrical engineer) down south... I was actually at the Davis meet a couple years ago and saw the car there and chatted with the fella that bought it from Harry(turbourg?)...

I then spent last summer driving a pretty nice Yellow 72' 145 I picked up in Portland, a great car but the love just wasn't there.

Finally I found "the one", a 1972 142GT in incredibly nice condition. Blue with a white Vinyl top(top removal to be considered).
It ended up being a great Father son trip for my dad and I. We made the road trip up to billings to snag the car. We test drove the car and it felt like the driveline was about to fall out, being ok with a project and totally stoked about the car we loaded her up on the dolly and headed over to Butte, Mt for the night...

The next morning after getting back to Boise, I got straight to working on the car. First thing I noticed was a wire that came disconnected from the crimp fitting at the injector and one at the sensor near the throttle plate, after fixing both of these I had the car running smoothly.

Turns out it was owned by a father son repair shop up in Montana. I called and spoke with old guy that owned it from 78 up to just a year ago.. The motor was rebuilt and the overdrive was recently sent to CA for a full rebuild. Apparently the Vinyl top was installed at the dealer when new. She's running great and drives nicer than any old Volvo I've ever had....

So heres my questions for the knowledgable crowd here...
First off there are just a couple tiny pimples above the right side of the windshield on the vinyl top(which I believe I can just dab a bit of silicone on) I don't even think they've broke through yet, the rest of the top is perfect. how concerned should I be with the potential for rust under the top, and should I just remove it and paint the top?.. opinions? experience?
Also, is it ok to use some dielectric grease or some sort of non conductive silicon to stabilize the wires at the injector plug in ?
And I've got a nice set of 185/65 tires, will these fit on the GT wheels or are the rims to narrow?
Just cracking into her so I'm sure more things will come up
The car has the original GT wheels, the interior is perfect, gauge cluster and dash are mint.
rear seat is perfect, need original fabric for fronts...
Also, My dad and I have collected a huge number of cars and parts from the early 60's to late 70's, mostly 122,140 and some 240 stuff... I'd love to help out anyone in need, Cheers!! ...
IMG_4546_zps928d1aa0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4349_zps9619820d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_4544_zps9ac41cea.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Right. Thought I saw a red 142GT with the same wheels with a little wider lower tires.
I'll measure rim width when I get the skinny tires off the GT wheels. Gonna have guy powder coat the black on the wheels. Yea phone pics don't do the dark blue justice.
Hopefully the D-jet keeps on running. I've been reading Phil Singhers page about D-jet. Seems pretty basic and I've got plenty of spare parts to keep the injection going.
Thanks for the kind words!!
Cheers!!

Back