• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Idle issues? Manual IAC VALVE! (Kanooder Valve)

spiffy926

I call it the Kanooder valve and I made it one day while bored at work, all with pieces from the hardware store I worked at. It all probably costed less than 20 bucks.
The main part of the valve is a 1" barbed irrigation tee, sized to fit rigid plastic irrigation lines.

Inside goes this simple to make plunger:

It's made of a fully threaded 3/8" bolt, about 3-4 inches long. You need to put a 3/8"ID x 3/4"OD brass bushing, which I made by forcing a 3/8"x1/2" bushing inside a 1/2"x3/4" bushing. I simply used the flanged nut you see there to tighten down on the pair of bushings, pressing them into each other.
The bushing fits snugly down the middle of the irrigation tee, and it would even be air tight I'd say if it had some oil.
Then put a fender washer, a spring (I used two intertwined because I couldnt find one strong enough), and make a fender washer sandwich at the top. Drill a small hole for the control cable on the edge of the top washer.
Install your plunger into the irrigation tee, and use hose clamps around the cable and tee to hold the cable in place.
Then play with the adjustment of the cable by looking in the outlet on the side of the tee, you're going to want the plunger to cover half of the opening about.
Install it in place of the IAC valve, then it's probably a good idea to unplug the IAC valve as to not confuse your ECU tooo much.

Run the cable into the driver compartment and mount it to a lever. You can use the one that came with the mower cable kit, or I used a nicer one I had laying around.

If you find it's too hard to open the valve with the cable, and it is just bending the control wire, add more springs or replace with a stronger spring.
Too much spring pressure and you may un-bend the loop holding the control wire to the washer when trying to close the valve.

This little valve started as a dumb idea (partial high-dea) at work and it's success astounded me and my co-workers, and it got me to work for a couple months before I attempted to legitimately fix my trusty ol' blue volvo.
It is actually very useful for setting a cold high-idle, or while jump starting another car solo, a poor-mans cruise control (with manual trans) or auto-pilot if you wish to send your car off a cliff... also a nifty security device if you close the valve while your car is parked somewhere sketchy.

SO anyway, hope you enjoy and maybe even build yourself one of these!

Back