• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

low-high impedance injector conversion

Avtovaz

Ive got a b230a non turbo, i bought a lh2.4? turbo inlet for it the later injection. Its all on the car and its all wired up. Now the guy who built the motor was meant to sort out the injectors too, but he has just put the original ones back in the manifold. Today i tried to start the car and it runs rubbish, and i checked the injectors and he has put the standard ones back in. I need to either convert the low impedance injectors to high or get other injectors that can cope up to 200 bhp.

is there a module on a turbo car that converts the signal? Ive heard there is but cant find out any info.

Also, the engine is converted to run on bmw m44 1.9 ecu as the motor is actually ina bmw too!

thanks

If the m44 1.9 ECU is meant for use with high impedance injectors (or low impedance injectors with an external resistor) and you tried running it with low impedance injectors with no external resistors, you may have toasted one or more of the injector drivers.

You need to confirm what the BMW was set up to use. Go here and check your BMW (Bosch) part numbers to find out what the BMW ECU used (or just measure the resistance if you have the BMW injectors).

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

If the BMW application was a low Z injector with external resistors, find out the resistance of the BMW injectors. If the BMW value matches the resistance value of the original Volvo Bosch injectors, visit a pick and pull and pull the resistor pack from a 740 or 240 series car. Get the wiring diagram for the car and it will be obvious how to connect the resistor pack up to the injectors.

Depending on the year of your m44, I suspect that BMW may have used high Z injectors. If that is the case, you need to find out the resistance of the high Z injectors. Either get replacement injectors that match that value or make sure that the combination of the Volvo injector resistance plus the resistor pack resistance matches the BMW injector resistance.

thanks for the reply. Still confused though LOL!

My bmw had

0-280-150-501 18.25 191.8 138 - - - - 28.1 33.3 EV1 High BMW 4-1.8l, 4-1.9l

It now has in it

0-280-150-804 32.07 337.1 242.4 43.5 3.0 32.07 337.1 49.3 58.6 EV1 Low Porsche 2.5l Turbo, Peugeot, Volvo 4-2.3l Turbo

I had the motor built , its got some tuning to it, and when he did the inlet manifold, i said about the injectors, and that i needed others, he said he had others that would fit but seems to just have fitted the original ones back into the manifold. Now, I started the car today, and it ran but not well at all, so when i was fault finding it i noticed the injectors where wrong! Even though ive done the wiring loom for the engine, and also the EWS emulator chip too!! this is a bit of a dark art to me as i dont know how to measure things properly.

Is there an injector that i can just buy that will go in the hole for high impedance? Im looking at 200 bhp max out of this motor.

thanks for the replys!

Is there an injector that i can just buy that will go in the hole for high impedance? Im looking at 200 bhp max out of this motor.

On my 940 Turbo, the 280-150-804 are stock (32.07lbs), but I swapped them for 280-155-766 (33.02lbs). The 766 are high impedance and you could use them. They have the same connectors and are a direct fit. They came off of one of the later 850/S70/V70 models.

Low impedance injectors have around 2 ohm of resistance, they will allow too much current and fry the injector driver.

Volvo FWD turbo uses high impedance injectors, get a set from a Turbo 850 and they should be plenty for your 200bhp car.

On my 940 Turbo, the 280-150-804 are stock (32.07lbs), but I swapped them for 280-155-766 (33.02lbs). The 766 are high impedance and you could use them. They have the same connectors and are a direct fit. They came off of one of the later 850/S70/V70 models.

right thanks! how come you went from low to high? thats really useful info

also thanks tryingbee

right thanks! how come you went from low to high? thats really useful info

Not really for performance reasons (I do have a bigger 16T turbo installed, but the stock injectors would flow enough for the boost pressure I'm running). The old stock ones were leaking a bit and gave me starting problems and I had those hi-z injectors around. Like mentioned, there is no need for a resistor pack with them, so I had to bypass the pack with a quick and easy adapter.

Here's also a great video from a guy in Sweden swapping from low-z to hi-z including measuring the resistance, if you don't know how, he explains it well. Go to the 1:15 mark in the video and turn subtitles on:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dlIeZF2dkCg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

right thanks! watched it and its good vid.

You know the fuel conection on the in side, one on the fuel rail that does the U turn, what is the fitting? We used a hydrolic fitting there and its leaking, so will buy another type, looks like the standard one can have the hose cut off and slip my 8mm pipe over?

thanks

When I went high impedance I made one of these:

BALLAST_BYPASS.JPG

Back