• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

how to lower 960/V90

I know cutting the stock 95+ springs is a bad idea because they curl back in at the bottom. So once cut, they could potentially slip off the lower spring seats. But according to Moon_walk, 740 or 940 springs will work on the seats without issue. Find some stock 740 or 940 springs and hack away! Report back if it works. It would be a major breakthrough for 960 front lowering as it means you could use aftermarket springs like IPD lowering springs.

I know cutting the stock 95+ springs is a bad idea because they curl back in at the bottom. So once cut, they could potentially slip off the lower spring seats. But according to Moon_walk, 740 or 940 springs will work on the seats without issue. Find some stock 740 or 940 springs and hack away! Report back if it works. It would be a major breakthrough for 960 front lowering as it means you could use aftermarket springs like IPD lowering springs.

I just put LMR 740/940 front lowering springs on my 96 960 - the top and bottom end fit just like oem, the only thing is they're bit too low for my taste (wrong ET) wheels - left less than 1cm clearance between the liner and tire... so to get rid of (most of) the rubbing I just added these for time being. Yolo.

Before:

Action:

Result:

Not to step on anyone's toes as we all want to improve on our rides. I've just learned to just accept the 960 for what it is. They lack parts we need unless you pretty much make your own.

I just put LMR 740/940 front lowering springs on my 96 960 - the top and bottom end fit just like oem, the only thing is they're bit too low for my taste (wrong ET) wheels - left less than 1cm clearance between the liner and tire... so to get rid of (most of) the rubbing I just added these for time being. Yolo.

Before:

Action:

Result:

That looks great!! That's pretty awesome that it works. So there we have it. 740/940 front springs fit second gen 960 front struts. That's fantastic.

Now as far as rear lowering, it's still a bit more complicated, but with leaf spring sanding for non-nivo cars and the use of normal shocks on nivo cars, it's getting to be not so difficult or expensive to get these cars low. It has to be said though the Kaplhenke Racing makes full coilover kits for these cars. They're just more money than some people on TB can afford.

Not to step on anyone's toes as we all want to improve on our rides. I've just learned to just accept the 960 for what it is. They lack parts we need unless you pretty much make your own.

More and more enthusiasts are getting a hold these cars as of late and I think we'll be seeing more and more modification of them in the next few years. Kaplhenke Racing makes plenty of parts for them (almost every 960 part they make is on my car) and we're getting a lot of people creatively modifying the cars on their own. If you want a cool 960, stick with it. It's getting easier. I stuck with mine when I started with it in 2007 (when there were NO parts available) and look at my car now. I think it's pretty awesome.

Yeah, I'm glad to see the increased interest in the 960. Only means new parts will come from it. The 1st part someone should come up with is the a bushing upgrade in the front control arm. They're already junk when installed new. This is my 4th 960. Anyone looking at these cars should make sure everything, and I mean everything works. The 960 gets a bad rap for the problems a problem car will have. The white block is such a wonderful engine, but electrical issues can junk a car quick.

Yep

Uuhhh, yep, 7- and 9-series springs will fit on the standard 960 front struts!!!! Guys, where have you been the last two years??? KIDDING!! Butte, I made following comment in Paul Curran's thread in 2013, saying that I think cutting the front springs is a pretty bad idea. Using stock 7/9-series springs is a good idea though:

Use 940 springs

So yeah, seriously: I've been driving around with that setup for quite some time now. Including a European tour of 6000+ kms, in circumstances from +40 to -5 degrees C, with highways and extreme bumpy roads. Driving with 18" 8J 235/45 tires. No problem at all!!!

I myself have tried different front setups in the last couple of years, because my car front wise was way up due to an LPG tank mounted in the boot and appareantly never corrected for:

- standard 960 springs
- cut 960 springs (for 10 minutes :lol:)
- standard 940 springs
- 940 lowering springs
- LMR lowering kit (spring wise basically the same as above)
- cheap 850 coil over set (running that as test for now, idea from this thread)

Didn't try Ben's set yet :oops: :cool:

So I don't agree on 960's being grandparents cars. If you only look up the web once, you're right and you'll find nothing at all (even when they advertise with setups being for 960s) but if you really go for it you might find ways to do it. Sort of TB style I think :oogle: And I like it...

By the way, I'll post a picture of three types of rear shocks for 960s tonight, so you can see the difference clearly.

Pictures of 960 rear shocks

By the way, I'll post a picture of three types of rear shocks for 960s tonight, so you can see the difference clearly.

There it is:

Three%20types%20of%20shocks_zpsr19rz2dn.jpg

All shocks have bottom mouting eye on the left and top eye on the right.
Top: nivomat, so for weaker leaf spring
Middle: standard shock, so for nivomat
Bottom: standard shock with helper spring, to help weaker leaf spring (or extra load)

No part numbers for now. If anyone wants those, I can look them up in a few days.
Easy check when you have your rear shocks in your hands and they don't look like one of the above: all regular shocks can be pushed in pretty easily, except for nivomat style shocks. Which is logical, since they are ment to help support the weight of the car...

Right now I'm driving with Sachs super tourers in the back (something like these), which work ok. Just bought a very good second hand pair of nivomats, see how that goes (together with my non-nivomat leaf spring and/but never compensated extra weight of a 100liter LPG tank fitted).

can some one please explain the shimming the rear leaf spring process to me?? and also the sanding the leaf spring also. and lastly how to take the spring out?

Volvo part number 6819300 is the rear Nivomat Volvo rear spring for 95 up 960 S/V90. Seems there were VERY few cars imported to the US that had Nivomat rear suspension. These were no longer available for many years but a year or 2 ago they became available for a while. Now they don't seem to be available, but maybe someone has some?
This spring allows the rear to be lowered by using it & shorter shocks (Kaplenke or L-M-R).

Back