• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Nivomat Identification

colgate41

I was doing some brake work on the rear of my 91' 744 t the other day and also inspecting the rear shocks (they are toast and need to be replaced) when I noticed a bit of blue color on the rear springs. I scrape a bit of gunk/underbody coating away and I see more blue. Rear Blue springs. Now, I've owned this car for almost 15 years and never noticed this before.

At first I was thought maybe IPD lowering springs but seems unlikely due to the fact the car looks like stock ride height. Then, upon googling/IPD-ing I see that the nivomat springs were blue from what I gather. Are my Blue rear springs an indication that my car has or had the self leveling shocks? The rear of the car always seemed to sag just a bit and after reading up on this I see that the nivomat springs are softer than the normal springs to compensate for the self leveling nivomat shocks and if the original shocks were replaced with non-nivomat shocks at some point that would explain the slight sagging in the rear.

Also, my trunk has never really stayed open on its own. I've replaced the trunk struts but depending on the day it just wont stay open. I do have the factory spoiler on the trunk lid so now I'm thinking that a combo of the spoiler and perhaps the wrong spring/shock combo in the rear is all playing into it.

Any easy way to ID the rear shocks and tell if they are nivomat?

Thanks!

If the shocks have rubber bellows (or remnants of rubber bellows) around the bottom then they're Nivomats, regular shocks won't have the bellows. I would bet on the springs being aftermarket, I don't think Nivomat springs were a different color than regular ones.

OgtiN3Kl.jpg

If the shocks have rubber bellows (or remnants of rubber bellows) around the bottom then they're Nivomats, regular shocks won't have the bellows. I would bet on the springs being aftermarket, I don't think Nivomat springs were a different color than regular ones.

OgtiN3Kl.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I?ll try and get out to check this weekend!

There should be vehicle in info plate in engine compartment that shows VIN plus paint colour code as well as some info on suspension. Am sure Novimat was a number code.

On trunk struts be careful and check length. I found that some sites mixed up tailgate struts, naturally heavy duty with trunk with spoiler heavy duty struts. The trunk struts are shorter. And available.
Just watch description and details to avoid wrong part. The added weight of spoiler at edge of trunk needs addition strut gas strength. Do watch as will take more force to close trunk with heavy duty struts and if spoiler ends overhang fender. There is potential to bend overlap of spoiler. More a problem with SE spoiler than higher only sits on trunk optional spoiler. The struts have improved in technology and durability and come under different brands. But probably on a few manufacturer's so aftermarket supplier names used too.

I think if you check around there should be a reasonable gas regular ride shock that will replace the nivoamat And provide a bit more ride height without rock hard shock action. Believe Volvo marked their springs with colour paint tab, mark. I think some of the performance 740 models had softer springs with performance shocks. And these may result in a bit of rear end sag if replacement shock does not have the same preload. Also think some of these springs just weaken with time and use. I know my '91 744 was fully loaded on trips to Florida that probably stained the springs. It not has slight sag. And I don't ever recall seeing load leveling during load changes. My '81 265 wagon had the nivomats and I replaced with good quality gas shock. Once the nivomats leaked the back end was a sloppy saggy mess. And from what I understand the technology for a nivomat has not improved as has happened with other shocks. So spending the money on them just means they will wear out again.

Thanks for the tip. I?ll try and get out to check this weekend!

Thanks for all the info. Currently the car has your basic rear shock on the car. Springs are def blue. I see IPD sells the Nivomat conversion kit and the shocks included in the kit are blue so I'll take a guess and say this car was converted at some point in it's life. When I bought the car some 15 years ago, it was from a guy who took great care of it. New Sachs shocks ordered. Thanks for the help.

Back