• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Baffling brakes wont bleed

megulon-7

I've been trying to bleed the brakes on my '86 240. Power bled a gallon of fluid thru, nice clear fluid at all 4 corners. Pedal is squishy and wont build pressure. Master replaced, problem unchanged. I'm baffled

Did you just replace the calipers with rebuilt ones? I put a couple gallons through my 242 after buying faulty rebuilds from FCP a few years ago. Could be that.

F88k power bleeders..In my opinion all they are good for is wasting gallons of fluid..
Should say f**k power bleeders unless you normally plub 'em in and apply brakes using them..
Use the foot. the foot speaks the truth.

Why did you start bleeding them..Problems on stages?

Once, when nothing else seemed to work, I built a contraption out of a master cylinder of a bottle jack and a one-way valve and used that to bleed a brake system from the caliper side upwards. So brake fluid was pushed from the calipers towards the master cylinder. That and having a friend gently tapping the brake system to get the air bubbles moving helped.

Just wondering if I got him some single hose ABS calipers or if he got some..He's at Oregon Trail Rally and the whole idea of using the single hose in calipers is just so we can possibly bleed and get a good pedal in less than 3 days...

Might be worth checking the caliper sliders are moving freely, I had a squishy brake pedal and no air in the system and it turned out to be a seized slider pin on the front caliper. Might be worth a check.

My 1990 240 brakes did this **** too recently. My boss thought he blew out my master cyl. I still don't know exactly what happened, but I think I got air in the master by letting the fluid get too low. long story short; I just kept on bleeding until I got it.

Back