• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71L with accumulator mod only has first

Xeroni

MPG?
The backstory
junkyard AW71L from a 93 940 regina nonturbo
shimmed accumulators with bolts that were cut to be the same as the springs
replaced the rear tail housing gasket
in my 85 240 with 240 brackets and mounts

Pulled this trans back when PicknPull were doing their 1/2 day. It came from the lowest mileage 940 I could find at 218k. Fluid looked slightly dark but there was only a bit of metal on the magnets in the pan. Put it in and did the mod to it.

After it was all back together it drove and shifted fine until I was on the freeway for about 5 miles. It came out of overdrive and the engine free revved like it was in neutral. I coasted on the side of the freeway and pulled over at a gas station. The fluid level was perfect and it would drive in reverse and first until it shifted into second and would free rev unless I manually put in down into first.

I drove it home taking the backstreets and left it until the next day I was off. I drove it to my dad's to use his empty garage and still acted the same. I pulled the pan and valve body off and inspected all my shims to make sure they were good. I ended up cutting them to 1/8in shorter like the guide says to see if that could cause it.

After putting it back together it would only drive forward, even in reverse. Some searching and I found that I put the shifter linkage back together incorrectly. :oops:

Fixed that and took it for a drive. This time it would stay in first no matter how much throttle you gave it. I thought that maybe the kickdown cable was too tight. Adjusted it so the kickdown was right at wot on the pedal but it drove the same way. No matter how high you revved it in first it would not shift up. Letting go of the throttle would make it just coast.

What says TB? Bad tranny? Possibly a bad valve body gasket? Maybe stuff in the valve body blocking fluid?

Back