• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

d24?

ALR11606

ok i went to d24 and images of a volvo diesel drifter just like the Mercedes at gatebil pooped into my head. So how hard is it to find a complete turbo greenblock and does anyone have any links to good solid 300hp builds? I'd love to see the torque and what it will do at that hp:-D. Oer would it probably be easier to throw in a older Mercedes turbo diesel

Thanks,
-Austin

Still trying to find one. Volvos are not easy to find here in Kentucky, let alone a turbo diesel. Anyone have one or know of one that runs? Has to be a d24T it doesnt have to be an intercooled model

Yes maybe. I want to build a greenblock unless i can't find one over the next few months.

Good luck getting parts, not to mention the special tools needed.

All the old time Volvo techs hate those things with the passion burning as bright as a thousand super novas simultaneously exploding at the same time.

oh well then :(. guess its MS and holset hx40 time then. I wonder how much power /boost from the hx40 the b21f will take before it pops at the 7000rpm limiter?

already have a set of 1500cc injectors and a 300gph fuel pump. Running e-85 if i do it so fuel and amount wont be a issue, but I think the stock el-ring and head bolt will be the weak point. I'm wanting to make it to atleast 25psi for awhile before it lifts the head or pops the gasket. I'd love to peg my 30psi boost gauge lol

I think Kenny put down something stupid like 600 on an elring. If they're installed properly, the head gaskets aren't the weak points.

Usually, a crappy tune is what blows up redblocks.

Thats what i like to hear :D Hopefully the e-85 and conservative increments of boost will helpkeep it together...quick question do b21s and b23s bend rods like b230fs or do the let go in block shattering fury?

Thats what i like to hear :D Hopefully the e-85 and conservative increments of boost will helpkeep it together...quick question do b21s and b23s bend rods like b230fs or do the let go in block shattering fury?

They have 13mm rods, and a nice forged crank.

The swedes prefer them for some strange reason, :e-shrug:but the americans just play engine bay shuffleboard with B230FT after B230FT. :oogle:

I'd play around up to 20-22psi, and then rebuild with some custom rods, or to avoid down time-sorrow-a visit to For Sale / dance with the crusher, and simply build a B21FT or B23FT on the side, and slap that in when it's go big time.

Last edited:
D24T's are pretty good engines. but you must become a guru of sorts to be able to handle their awesomeness.

But if you're looking for crazy ridiculous engine builds then steer clear of them. I had seeing them fall into the wrong hands.

Anyway guys do you know anywhere that sells 2000cc injectors that drop into our rail and intake without the need for a resistor box? Do our rails run out of flow? is there a point that they need to be upgraded?

Mueller is building a D24t out of 2 he got from me. Those things are gut less nonT. :lol:

Those two are in parts now :)

I'm going to use the D24T I got out of that '86 744 a few weeks back.

They have potential, but like Ken said, hard to find parts but not impossible. The tool issue isn't that big of a deal, there is a good supply of tools that you can rent dirt cheap or many you can make yourself.

If I came into money, I'd get one of the Audi or Ford/Jag V6 diesels and hot rod one of those.

One owns and builds a diesel motor out of passion or possible obsession of over having something different. Unlike a gasoline engine you are almost forced to become an expert in how it all works. I think I know more about the Bosch VE diesel mechanical fuel pump than I think I ever knew about the Megasquirt, and I've had megasquirt since the very 1st group buy of bare boards many years ago.

Last edited:
What was the failure on those 2?

Nothing wrong with the 1st one I picked up for you, it is actually still mostly together, I'm using the oil pan, the motor mounts and transmission/flywheel on the turbo motor. The block and head will go into storage for a possible rebuild.

The second one I picked up had a really bad cracked head. That is what caused all the oil to get into the coolant system.

I've kept a few parts from that one as well.

Back