• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Zoomy's 1989 245

ZoomSpeed

Zoomy's 1989 Volvo 245 5spd

IMG_0941.jpg

"Here's the key, make it run!"

Thats what my parents said to me about mid April 2009. This car has been in my family since 1993, and it was bought used at Don Docksteader Volvo in Vancouver with 45000km on it. It has been(and still is) a reliable car. About November 2008, it died on us. unknown cause at the time, but it was restarted and driven back home and was parked in front of my family's house for 6 months. Then in Mid April, My dad drove it halfway around the block before it died again. My dad and I later pushed it onto a small pad in our property next to the back alley. That summer, I became a mechanic.

16862_238821922531_508982531_3378334_2312897_n-1.jpg

These are older pics, It takes alot of time to upload the photos to the internet (they are 2-4MB each!) I will try to keep you posted on dates. These are all from the summer of 2009
IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

This was the only reason I wanted to fix it.
IMG_0889.jpg

Interior is black, its just a bad photo.
IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

Sweet! Found the owner's manual!
IMG_0954.jpg

Oh, hang on!
IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

Ewwwwwwwww!
IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

I threw it out btw. :)

Stupid aftermarket sunroof!
IMG_0882.jpg

Caused this
IMG_0919.jpg

I fixed the result of this at school this year(more info on that later!)

Dirty!
IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

More to Come!:)

-----------------------------------
For more recent posts, see the newest page in the thread!

Last edited:
The key is not the master one, its a copy of it.

Summer 2009
Found the cause of the problem, dead alternator. I took it out.
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Toast.
d.jpg

Got myself an alternator from the junkyard for $75. I thought it was a good deal, but the guy sold me the wrong one. It didn't fit and it only made 55amps. (It was for a B21 or something)
h.jpg

g.jpg

Gosh it was hot last summer!
IMG_2290.jpg

e.jpg

I finally did get the correct one $140:grrr: including the trade of the old one.
random shots
k.jpg

l.jpg

Found my car on Google street view. Which is wierd, because the car is in a back alley. Google drove down my back alley!
Picture3.png

Random night shot
i.jpg

j.jpg

More to come!

obligatory noted and +1'd

thats a touch too much for an alt broseph.. oh well.

if it runs it was worth it.

Summer 09
a-1.jpg

Almost forgot my 2 lame startup videos
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXPDc2BsiPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xXPDc2BsiPQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ke4kQA29yqk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ke4kQA29yqk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
The car sounds bad, but its just the video/mic. Its an old video. I'll make a newer one sometime.
I took off the door card. I later put it back on.
e-1.jpg

Ewww!
d-1.jpg

I started to tackle the task of cleaning the PCV system.
c-1.jpg

g-1.jpg

h-1.jpg

i-1.jpg

k-1.jpg

All because of this stupid box
aa.jpg

n.jpg

Inside #1
j-1.jpg

Dirty!
l-1.jpg

Any ideas on what caused this? The intake pipe had a bit of oil in it too.

In November 2009, I drove the car to school to fix in my Auto mechanics class. It has been there all year. I am about ready to take it home this week.
p.jpg

Leaky sunroof:grrr:

Parts!
q.jpg

r.jpg

s.jpg

Front cam seal (ended up not needing replacement)
u.jpg

Since I had to check for leaking seals under the timing belt anyway, why not replace the seal and the belt. I later found out they didn't really need replacing, but I learned a lot doing it.
v.jpg

This takes us to March break 2010, where My parents needed a 2nd car for spring break, so we got it insured for 10 days. We drove it around with not quite aligned steering and a broken driver's side motor mount. :wtf:
v.jpg

Don't worry, I want to lower it, and get some alloys(Virgos or Hydras? Hmmm!)
However, black paint is cheaper, so I will be doing that first

Next I will post the pictures of fixing some (minor) holes in the floor. Teaser:
z.jpg

Last edited:
Did you check the price of a new/rebuilt alternator at the parts store? Couldn't have been much more than you paid. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Did you check the price of a new/rebuilt alternator at the parts store? Couldn't have been much more than you paid. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

The one I got was rebuilt. it doesn't spin as freely as the old one, but I'm hoping it just means it makes more juice!

@thevolvokid Thanks! :) If I had know about this I would have tried this first. The old one was filled with oil inside though.

Found this in the junkyard in March
w.jpg

At this point in time (March 2010 to Now) I had replaced the motor mounts. I just don't have any pictures.

I recently just fixed some holes in the floor caused by a leaking sunroof. :(
y.jpg

z1.jpg

z2.jpg

z.jpg

z7.jpg

z6.jpg

Putting it all back together
z5.jpg

z4.jpg

I got my N license May 7th!
z3.jpg

I've got some photos of the underside of the car which I will upload later, but I put the car on temporary insurance to get it home from the school, and to drive it around for a few days!

Still bringing you up to date.
Last week.
a-2.jpg

I took off the driver's side ball joint and turned it one turn in to help fix the crooked steering, but it wasn't enough. maybe another turn will do.
b-2.jpg

c-2.jpg

Dirty M47!
d-2.jpg

e-2.jpg

My patchwork. its better than what the photo shows.
f-2.jpg

g-2.jpg

h-2.jpg

Leaking?!
i-2.jpg

Checked the fluid, there is lots.
j-2.jpg

Look what came to paint my neighbor's house!
k-2.jpg

l-2.jpg

How it could look
fronthowitcouldlook.jpg

How it does look. :D
u-1.jpg

In the shop, ready to be driven home!
n-1.jpg

Small photo shoot.
p-1.jpg

o-1.jpg

r-1.jpg

t-1.jpg

w-1.jpg

x-1.jpg

y-1.jpg

The motor may look clean, but my redblock is looking black right now.
z3-1.jpg

z4-1.jpg

z5-1.jpg

z6-1.jpg

z8.jpg

z7-1.jpg

when I drove the car out of the shop on Wednesday the trip odometer had 285km on it now it has 480km. alot of driving in 5 days.

The car is now off the road and ready to be fixed over the summer. First on the list is appearance. I've already removed the driver's side pin stripe. I will be painting the side trim and removing the decals under the windows. the car also badly needs the oil pan gasket done, so that will follow next.

Still working on the car. My internet is sort of working, and lots of the pics are 2MB+ each so it takes time to upload them. Currently I've painted the side trim/grill, removed the intake manifold to clean under it, and put the car on ramps to see whats going on in the oil pan. Its currently hanging loose under there waiting for me to figure out a clever way to remove it with basic tools and the scissor jack.

Also, anyone know a good glue to stick the side trim to the door? Spray on adhesive isn't cutting it.

a-3.jpg

White tips, looks like I drove it a bit too hard. :)
b-3.jpg

Side trim painted
c-3.jpg

d-3.jpg

e-3.jpg

It passes the 5 foot test. :)

f-3.jpg

g-3.jpg

More later!

Its too damn hot to work during the day. 30 degrees C outside. inside the car I put this thermometer on the dash.
o-2.jpg

or
p-2.jpg

More pics of putting the trim back on. Its all falling off now though. needs a better glue!
h-3.jpg

a-4.jpg

b-4.jpg

c-4.jpg

d-4.jpg

Finally put it on ramps to work under it.
e-4.jpg

Painted the grill
IMG_3779.jpg

f-4.jpg

h-4.jpg

k-3.jpg

No pics, but right now the pan is loose under the car(not removed)

q-2.jpg

I saw a video on the interweb on clearing up foggy headlights with just toothpaste. I'll try it on my broken turn signal lenses first
Link
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9wVx-ufMOWw&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9wVx-ufMOWw&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

n-2.jpg

Back up top. I removed the intake manifold to clean under it.
great_success.png

r-2.jpg

w-2.jpg

v-2.jpg

WTF?!
s-2.jpg

t-2.jpg

u-2.jpg

Found it in #4. I don't think I dropped it in there, I don't remember removing something like this. strange, maybe thats why the car is slow. :D

I haven't done much lately, its too hot out and I need some motivation.

/verylongpost

Back