• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

Ahhhhhhh NZ :-) Poor Europeans. Finland is bad, too. And Spain. And Portugal. I hope you find an inexpensive way to achieve your goals.

The Netherlands (where the car is still registered) is still fine with car mods etc. Germany is not fantastic but a lot is still possible. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to keep it on Dutch plates once it's done if it gets too difficult to register it in Germany.

In other news, I finished the install of the Ford hydroboost unit. It's scary how well it fits in the Volvo with this engine. I used the Ford mounting plate that puts it at a slight upward angle. I'll also use the Mustang master cylinder as it is very nicely sized for the calipers that I want to use. Welded the original bolt holes closed after removing the studs and then redrilled and rewelded the studs in for the Volvo pattern. Then I cut it to the same size as the Volvo brake booster mount.
Next up was getting it connected to the Volvo brake pedal. The hydroboost unit connects to the pedal in a mustang with this 16mm inner diameter thing, but the Volvo uses a fork kind of thing that slides over the pedal. To my surprise, the distance between the mounting face of the Volvo brake booster to the center of the hole to attach it to the brake pedal is exactly the same on the Hydroboost. All I needed to do was just cut open the back of the brake pedal and get a little spacer with 16mm outer diameter and 8mm inner, so I can use the original Volvo pin for connecting the pedal. The pedal height is identical as stock and also the travel is the same. I'll just have to see if the brakes are not too touchy with the hydroboost, but there is plenty of room to modify the pedal ratio as desired.

These arrived, I'll be making a set of adapters to fit them.

Compared to the S60R caliper:

Last edited:
2e152tj.jpg

:omg: Did those come off of another car?

Yes, these can be found on a Porsche Cayenne/VW Touareg/Audi Q7. They are Brembo calipers for a 330mm rotor diameter (the ones marked with 17Z. The 18Z ones are for a 350mm diameter), same as the Volvo S60R ones. It's a popular upgrade with the VW and Audi crowd and Homer here on TB made a kit for mounting these on a 240. Should stop nicely with these.

Bolted the alternator and power steering pump to the engine to start measuring for the oil sump. Crossmember for the trans is almost finished now too. Was a fiddly job as I don't have a lift... Just need to modify 1 small area where it sits too close to the transmission, weld the unused holes closed and then clean up and paint.

Last edited:
You sir, are doing big things. Looks good!

Thanks! :)

This is nuts. I love it! Nice work man!

Thank you, still a lot of work to do

Turbos... you meant to say TURBOS :)

Btw, replied your PM.

Maybe one day it'll get 2 Turbos, for now it is difficult enough to get it road legal like this :-(

Very impressive... Subscribed

Thanks!

Small update: found a Mk1 IRS off of a 780. The plan is to put a BMW diff in it with the correct ratio I want (2.65:1, like the stock S600) with a factory LSD. It should mount up right to the Volvo axles. To be continued once I've found the diff I want for a reasonable price. Fun fact of the day, the S60R rear calipers bolt on without adapters. I will need the rear hubs out of a MK2 IRS though from a 960 due to the higher offset. Otherwise the S60R rotors won't fit. I'll also be making new stronger toe rods as the stock ones are made of spaghetti.

Stock rear discs compared to the S60R ones:

Bolt on calipers:

Last edited:
Greatness

Hey that's cool

It's not entirely plug and play unfortunately. I need the hubs off of a MK2 IRS due to the FWD offset they have, otherwise the S60R rotor won't fit at all. So far I've only managed to find the left one. The right one still alludes me... If anyone happens to have one, please let me know. Also the rotor needs to be turned down to 322mm instead of 330, but then it'll bolt on. I'm using FWD offset wheels anyway so with those hubs I can also get rid of the spacers in the back.
For the front I've got a set of 350mm rotors from a Mercedes on the way. The 330mm Volvo R rotors won't work on the 740 with these Cayanne 17Z calipers, there is no way to make a spacer like that, but with the 350mm ones it should just work. It puts the caliper a bit further away from the hub and that should leave just about enough space to make an adapter. The 17Z calipers are normally for a 330mm rotor and the 18Z ones for a 350mm one, but besides the mounting holes and the piston sizes (17Z calipers have bigger pistons) they are the same. Brake pads are interchangable too. 18" wheels minimum though with the 350mm discs on it.

Hi Sander, first of all my compliments for your courageous, incredible project. Especially the part about the R brakes draws my attention since I want to mount R calipers to my '93 960 sedan with MK1 multilink. I am also using 18 inch rims. In front with the S60R 330mm rotors + calipers using brackets from L-M-R in Sweden no problem sofar. In the back the S60R rotors won't fit like you also found out. That is why I use the 960 stock back rotor/handbrake drum to modify (cnc) as a bell and connect it onto AP Racing rotors (thickness 28 mm). These rotors have an outer diameter of 310mm, so in combination with the stock modified disc/drum I will have no offset issue and the AP disc won't interfere with the upper control arm like with the S60R rotor. That way I also maintain the stock handbrake which is a nice advantage. I was surprised to see that, compared to the front, custom brackets are not needed in the back for the S60R calipers. I noticed that you bolted them straight onto the hub wiithout using some kind of spacer. Does this leave enough space for a 310mm rotor in your opinion? I ask this since my car sits in Sweden and I cannot take measurements. Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
Hi Sander, first of all my compliments for your courageous, incredible project. Especially the part about the R brakes draw my attention since I want to mount R calipers to my '93 960 sedan with MK1 multilink. I am also using 18 inch rims. In front with the S60R 330mm rotors + calipers using brackets from L-M-R in Sweden no problem sofar. In the back the S60R rotors won't fit like you also found out. That is why I use the 960 stock back rotor/handbrake drum to modify (cnc) as a bell and connect it onto floating AP Racing rotors (thickness 28 mm). These rotors have an outer diameter of 310mm, so in combination with the stock modified disc/drum I will have no offset issue and the AP disc won't interfere with the upper control arm like with the S60R rotor. That way I also maintain the stock handbrake which is a nice advantage. I was surprised to see that, compared to the front, custom brackets are not needed in the back for the S60R calipers. I noticed that you bolted them straight onto the hub wiithout using some kind of spacer. Does this leave enough space for a 310mm rotor in your opinion? I ask this since my car sits in Sweden and I cannot take measurements. Good luck with your project!
Thanks! In the back they do bolt on straight to the MK1 mounting points. I'll have to measure if a 310mm disc will work. I know that the Volvo R discs need to be turned down to 322mm to fit properly, so that?s probably the diameter you?d need too. I think AP racing makes a 320mm disc, that might be enough already. I?m solving the issue with the offset by pressing in the centers with the wheel bolts in them etc of the MK2 IRS into my MK1 hubs. The hub design is slighty different between the two so they don?t bolt in, but they both use the same wheel bearing so it should be possible to swap like that. That will give me the offset of the 960II so the R discs will work and I can get rid of the wheel spacers in the back. I?ll probably end up making adapters and use also the Cayenne calipers in the back though and sell the R calipers. Not sure yet. I?ll do some measurements when I have time and will let you know if 310mm rotors will work. Did you lower your MK1 IRS? If so, what did you use? Coil overs or something else?

This will go in the front: 350mm rotor from a Mercedes R class I think and a Brembo 6 piston caliper from a Cayenne. There was no way to use the 330mm Volvo discs with these calipers on the 740. Only with the bigger 350mm disc it will work. There are 2 types of these Cayenne calipers, the 17Z ones for a 330mm disc and the 18Z one for a 350mm disc. They are pretty much identical except for the mounting points and the 17Z has bigger pistons. I'm using the 17Z ones with the 350mm disc so I had to slightly modify them to get the bigger rotor to accommodate the larger disc radius. It's really not much material that needs to be removed, just 2mm close to the edge and less further inwards, plus the 18Z calipers are already like this stock so it won't hurt anything. 18" wheels minimum though now.

Last edited:
Kaplhenke

Thanks for replying, Sander. What a relief that the calipers fit straight onto the stock hubs. Saves me fabricating brackets. For lowering the 960 there are not much choices for the multilink mk1. I bought the - imo very nice - rear irs mk1 coilovers including the special brackets from Kaplhenke. For the front also coilovers and struts with adjustable top mounts incl deluxe steer and quick steer roll correction, also from Kaplhenke. Ask myself how you fix the handbrake when you use the larger rear discs. Using the old rotor drum?

Last edited:
Awesome project. Interesting to go to irs instead of a stronger live axle, given the various design issues with the irs unit. Did you consider a Toyota r220 diff as well?

Why would you want such a tall gear ratio? Wouldn't you want taller to allow for better performance?

Back