• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Canadian 1984 244 DL B21A/B6304 project log.

I'm going junkyarding this weekend and hopefully finding a s90 to rob stuff from. I'd like a spare ECU anyways incase i brick mine trying to flash it. I'm married to the 960/S90 loom by this point as I replaced the entire disintegrated engine bay harness with the s90 harness. I'm about a day away from patching it to the 740 dash harness and firing this thing up.

Well if thats the case with the speeduino, I'll look into an MS3 kit if I get that far. Depends on what the stock ECU can support.

I've thought of snagging an M4.4 harness from a 5-cyl and just adding wires to it for my setup, but for now, I've got other things to do.

Just finished these :):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9iPg35Uhz90" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, it's not lifting a volvo, but it will be soon. I tested them on my DD just in case anything went catastrophically wrong, lol.

Fd40CDDL_o.jpg

Time to put the lift to work! I'm installing some Boge TurboGas/Sachs Advantage struts up front, and I have to say that whoever decided that the brake lines would have to come off in order to remove the struts deserves a swift kick in the nads. Yes I know you don't have to remove the housings to do the job, but everything under my car is caked in decades of dirt...so cleaning happens at the same time.

The gland nuts that came with the Sachs Advantage cartridges don't fit at all (coarse thread), but my stockers came off easily and were re-useable. I guess the early housings have different threads vs. the ABS ones? Either way, the job is done and the 15A strut plates went in as well. I'm waiting for a new caliper to arrive, because since I took them off, I need to bleed them...and obviously one of them snapped off as I was trying to open it.

After that I took a break to do some yard work...and the starter on my riding mower died. ARG. It's been an expensive day :(.

...and spoke too soon.

It must have been a caliper for the solid rotor, even though I specificially ordered one for the vented setup. It would not fit over the rotor, so I had to 'alter' it. I was then having issues bleeding it (my own fault, learned that later) so got frustrated and managed to get the snapped off bleeder out of the OG caliper. I cannibalized the 'new' part for it's bleeders and pins and put the old one back on. After figuring out how to bleed these fershlugginner calipers, everything is now cool...except I'm out $60 for the rebuilt caliper. Live and learn I guess.

It's been a glorious, but cloudy, day. I drove the car for the first time this year, since I was too sick *cough* to go to work today ;). Everything is working great, nothing's leaking, and I even washed it.

Best.

Weekend.

EVER.

My wife was visiting a friend in Toronto for the weekend, so all I did was work on my car, drive my car, go to the junkyard, eat chips and cheese curds, go to Princess Auto (Canadian version of Harbor Freight), and drive my car. I mean...I love my wife, but a sunny weekend with ONLY car stuff?! That's a once-a-year thing! :D

I also built a DIY power bleeder and tapped my spare B6304 block for a turbo oil return. Basically, I only came in the house to feed the cats, lol.

Hit up the local yard today and found TWO sets of T5 blues! Now I've got injectors for my eventual +T6 :).

I also installed my H4 quad headlight conversion and a trans temp gauge. Tomorrow I'll be swapping to some 15" wheels to see if a newly-developed mega-shake in the steering wheel is tire related. Not too happy with that, since my 15's are fugly :(.

Last edited:
F**k.
Collapsed soft lines on the pass side. Looks like a long weekend of brake bleeding ahead.

Although, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the chinese 'light' switch that I got off Amazon fits the stock foglight blank perfectly. It's a 100% match, size-wise :). Now I can get to installing my fogs.

JtAyjBCa_o.jpg

So about a week ago, the downshift transistor in my original/hacked-up mess Poi-shift died. Luckily I was almost finished the updated version...

0YhBjDVv_o.jpg

I finished it up and installed it so I could keep driving, and it is so far working like a charm. The PCB version is hopefully going to be more durable than the first one I built, which was pretty terrible and loaded with cold solder joints.

I've also got a replacement 'resonator' coming. The 'finest' that Amazon.ca's 'scratch-and-dent discount' category had to offer:

41ufGHoif%2BL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIAmznPrime%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C-5_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA(27%20Reviews)%2C445%2C291%2C400%2C400%2Carial%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

My current resonator is a 3" straight through magnaflow can, and the car is just too loud at cruise. The rear muffler is a larger magnaflow 3" straight through can, but it fits really well, so the only thing I can replace is the res.

I also grabbed some 740 steelies at the local yard that'll replace my Hydras next year. I'm just not feeling the 16" wheels anymore, and have rocked steelies on every project car, so why not this one :).

Muffler update:
LOL.
So...that muffler is TINY. I mean, I read the dimensions, but I guess it never dawned on me how small it would be. I am definitely not using it, but it only cost $22 CAD, so I'll find a use for it some day.

My next project might be to address how sensitive the steering is. Even though I put the redblock pressure valve into the whiteblock pump, it still feels twitchy.

Muffler update:
LOL.
So...that muffler is TINY. I mean, I read the dimensions, but I guess it never dawned on me how small it would be. I am definitely not using it, but it only cost $22 CAD, so I'll find a use for it some day.

My next project might be to address how sensitive the steering is. Even though I put the redblock pressure valve into the whiteblock pump, it still feels twitchy.

Twitchy as in light/easy to turn, or twitchy as in a slight turn of the wheel is excessive for input?

Love the swap! You ever make it to the volvo show in London ON? Its a bit of hike for you I would imagine but a great test of your workmanship.

Love the swap! You ever make it to the volvo show in London ON? Its a bit of hike for you I would imagine but a great test of your workmanship.

Volvo show in London? There isn't much of a Volvo community up here near Ottawa, so I have no idea there are gatherings like that, haha. Did I miss it? I am 100% sure it'd make the trip, although until I replace the resonator, I'd need ear protection to drive it that far, lol.

Volvo show in London? There isn't much of a Volvo community up here near Ottawa, so I have no idea there are gatherings like that, haha. Did I miss it? I am 100% sure it'd make the trip, although until I replace the resonator, I'd need ear protection to drive it that far, lol.

Yes Annual family day https://canadianvolvoclub.org/index.php/events/family-day/2019

July 28th. Not to far for me to go but there is a guy from Sudbury that makes it.

Have you checked with Homer? A perfectionist Engineer.... he's obviously got his sorted with 30K miles since whiteblocked.

I haven't, but that's a good idea. I'm running the original 240 pressure relief valve in the whiteblock pump, so I'm sure my pressures are correct-ish, but I guess it's just a bit too 'soft' for my liking. I got a Borgeson pressure reduction kit (https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1684&cat=133&page=1) that I'll experiment with at some point and see how it feels. I'm using JIC-to-metric fittings at the rack and pump, with an off-the-shelf piece of pre-crimped hydraulic hose (2' in 3/8") and I finally have a non-leaky system. I'm now hesitant to open it all up again to install the shims, lol.

Back