• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1995 Volvo 960 Blinking orange arrow

aljoy1

I have a 1995 Volvo 960, with 235,000 miles, that is running fine but the orange arrow is blinking on the dash and the W/E/S is flashing on the console. I brought it to a local mechanic and he could not get a code from the computer - although the flashing had stoppped when I dropped it off. He thinks maybe the computer is bad and suggested just driving it. The flashing is back - I read that it is most likely the Gear Position sensor but without any codes - wouldn't want to raplace that. Is it ok to drive the car like this - do you think the code could be found while the arrow is blinking - should I bring it to a Volvo dealer? It seems to be driving fine - maybe in a lower gear but I can't really be certain.
Thanks.

Is it the overdrive arrow? (probably an Orange one that points up)

If it is that light, and it is flashing,I am pretty sure Something is wrong with the transmission and it is in limp mode. I learned about that working with my dad at a volvo shop.

do you know if the orange arrow needs to be on to get a code from the transmission / computer? The car has been running ok but tonight felt sluggish. I put my foot on the brake, pushed the override button and moved the shift up and down and the arrow was off when starting.

Do you have a speedometer? I had the same issue on my 960 but it threw a "no speed input" error code. Meant the tranny didn't know when to shift and would do weird things if I didn't control it manually. Turned out the big plug to the main ecu was loose after joe mechanic tried to reset everything by unplugging it to get rid my persistent check engine light. I plugged it in properly and everything is fine...

It's either dodgy connections in the multi-plug that carries the electrical connections to the gearbox, or it's a faulty PNP switch.

Crawl under the car and justin front of the gearbox are two multi-plugs that you should disconnect, spray cleaner in and then reconnect (Ign off whilst you do this).

Move the gear selector from P to L at least 30 times in one movement to clean the contacts in the PNP switch.

Chance s are the car will then be fine.

I have thought is was a connection problem - I will try to locate the gear box and clean those connections. I assume the gear box will be behind the engine - just in front of the tranny?
And tTo reset the PNP switch, do I turn the key just before the engine starts or it doesn't matter as long as I can move the gear selector. Thanks.

It's either dodgy connections in the multi-plug that carries the electrical connections to the gearbox, or it's a faulty PNP switch.

Crawl under the car and justin front of the gearbox are two multi-plugs that you should disconnect, spray cleaner in and then reconnect (Ign off whilst you do this).

Move the gear selector from P to L at least 30 times in one movement to clean the contacts in the PNP switch.

Chance s are the car will then be fine.

still driving with the orange blinking arrow coming on randomly. When it comes on - sometimes there is no change in performance, sometimes very sluggish at the start, and a few times the speedometer didn't work. I went under the car and checked the connections - disconnected the battery first - all seemed tight so I left that alone. The light didn't come on for days but did when the car was just idling. Strange situation - my next thought was to bring to a Volvo dealer but not sure if they will get any codes when the arrow isn't blinking - any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

still driving with the orange blinking arrow coming on randomly. When it comes on - sometimes there is no change in performance, sometimes very sluggish at the start, and a few times the speedometer didn't work. I went under the car and checked the connections - disconnected the battery first - all seemed tight so I left that alone. The light didn't come on for days but did when the car was just idling. Strange situation - my next thought was to bring to a Volvo dealer but not sure if they will get any codes when the arrow isn't blinking - any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

reseat the connections(unplug an plug them back in) on the tranny. just checking them may not be enough.

I ran the shifter back and forth and the arrow went away. Came back on again and checked transmission codes and found 232 - speedometer sensor. Could this cause the blinking arrow coming on / off at times. I was afraid to pull the connectors without the car on a lift. But if I have to bring it to a mechanic - I would like to know what the problem is before they start trying different things. Thanks.

Please help!

Hi, I am new to the Volvo 960, used to have 240! I have 2 questions related to the transmission AW30-40 LE on my 1995 Volvo 960: Is it normal that the Winter button comes back after pressing? While the E and S can be pressed without bouncing back?

The second question is related to the left side wiring on the transmission, as i was cleaning the wiring connections, the 4 colored wires that connect into a bracket where the transmission speed sensor goes got disconnected! I dont know which colors go into which hole in the squarish bracket!

Can some one send a picture of the wiring please? I am really worried to miss it up.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi, I am new to the Volvo 960, used to have 240! I have 2 questions related to the transmission AW30-40 LE on my 1995 Volvo 960: Is it normal that the Winter button comes back after pressing? While the E and S can be pressed without bouncing back?

The second question is related to the left side wiring on the transmission, as i was cleaning the wiring connections, the 4 colored wires that connect into a bracket where the transmission speed sensor goes got disconnected! I dont know which colors go into which hole in the squarish bracket!

Can some one send a picture of the wiring please? I am really worried to miss it up.

Thanks a lot :)

I'd recommend starting a new post next time- but to answer your first question - yes it is normal for W button to come back up when you press it. This is entangling Winter mode and should cause an orange up arrow to light on your instrument cluster. The E and S (Economy and Sport, respectively) buttons will remain depressed depending on which mode you wish it to be in.

Back