home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #26
EivlEvo
Board Member

I need to make an automatic a manual. Some people spoke of grinding the brake pedal down, and bolting the clutch pedal to the end thus implying that the box itself is the same between auto and manual and only the pedals are different.

This is the data I'd like.

I have the clutch pedal (with spring, and bolt and the white cups) out of my donor car (87 244). I have the pedal box loose, but haven't pulled the steering column out or the dash (yet) because I was hoping to not have to do such things. If I need to though... so be it.

So then. Can I bolt my clutch pedal into the auto box and grind off the brake... or do I need to swap boxes? Manual is 87 244. Auto (about to be T5 manual) is 93 245.
EivlEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #27
James10952001
Board Member

Just swap the box, you don't have to remove the steering column. I don't recall the exact details but when I converted a 240 I swapped the pedal box with the steering column in place. I don't think I even removed the dash although in retrospect that would have made it easier.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #28
JohnMc
PV Abuser

You can't (???) just bolt the clutch pedal onto the manual pedal box. The holes for it are on the brake side of the clutch pedal, but there's an additional arm of the bracket that supports the other side of the pedal.

A pic I googled:

Although the auto pedal box is from a 164, I think it's still a good pic.

What I did on mine was to leave the auto pedal box in place, and then trimmed off the extra arm on the donor pedal box. In addition to being welded to the main pedal box, it also bolts the the firewall itself, and is held in place by the pedal pivot shaft. I figured it would be strong enough to use with that extra arm just bolted in, and it's been great so far on my '93 245 for about 10 years.

I think the pedal box is harder to remove on later model cars with the knee bar - there is more structure under the dash compared to earlier cars that just had plastic trim under there.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #29
dbarton
Bored Member

What all this talk about removing the steering column? Is a '93 240 different from my '84? That's not even close to required in my 240.

Definitely easy to get things done with the dash out. I agree it's worth the small extra effort as has been mentioned.

Here's a side by side cable and hydraulic boxes.
Dave B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 242-030413-004.jpg (162.9 KB, 53 views)

'84 242ti, owned since 2003, still somewhat of a daily driver. Always garaged: Original and still excellent paint except for the "new" flat hood. Old-school front *because I like it*. Original B21FT, SDS EFI and IGN, Mitsubishi TD04HL-15G, WC T5Z trans, 3.91 rear w/G80 locker, Unitek&ST Phase One cam, Cooling Mist ethanol injection.
Non-Volvo driver: 2013 Subaru WRX.
Dave's Volvo Pages:
DaveBarton.com
PrancingMoose.com
240Turbo.com
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:01 PM   #30
James10952001
Board Member

The car I converted was a '86, so no knee bolster, I forgot about that part. Doesn't the bolster come off? It's been a while since I've been under the dash of a newer 240. Still it's *got* to be easier than cutting and welding stuff.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #31
EivlEvo
Board Member

Well... I'm telling you guys... it's not coming out of that 87 244 without something more than I'm doing.

I had the instrument cluster out, so all the bolts were easier to get at.

I wonder if I unbolt the pedals if it'll wiggle it's way out of there? I think I'm just going to pull the dash. Hopefully I don't get any of the electrics mixed up (this is what I'm most worried about) or break anything new in the process.

I'll report back.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #32
James10952001
Board Member

Pulling the dash from a 240 is easy, it's even easier to waste twice as much time trying to find ways around pulling the dash to access various things. Been there, done that.

There isn't much electrical going to the dash aside from the cluster, you can leave the center console connected.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #33
EivlEvo
Board Member

Ok... as you all expected. I pulled the dash. OF COURSE there was a nut that was still on the pedal box, that I zipped out easily and the pedal box literally fell out of position.

For anyone else inquiring. You don't need to pull the dash to remove the pedal box. It's easy. Make sure you loosen all the bolts lol.