home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #51
Dan Stokes
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
I was thinking of picking up that 4.8 from a neighbor, it has a spun yet supposedly repairable cam bearing (bearing spun in the block) , in case the block was toast I was trying to figure out what the internals and bolt on parts would work with if I was to find just a bare block.

There is someone local selling a brand new unused LM7 block from Summit racing for $300.
On the neighbor's engine - make sure that oversized cam bearings are available before the purchase (they might be but check). The block will have to be align bored to the standard size of the oversize bearing so you can install it and if the big bearing isn't available you're screwed. Might be cheaper to pick up a different block and transfer all the stuff over.

Dan
Dan Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #52
Dan Stokes
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz-e8tr View Post
I've never gotten a negative comment on Berserker when someone sees it in person. At autocross it's one of the more popular cars. At car shows it will draw a small crowd. Only the ones that will know that the 5.0 is not stock. About the only think other than compliments will be the standard question "Why a Volvo?" My standard answer is "If you ask me why, you already know the answer." Because its something different. On the autocross course I get tons more attention that my BMW ever did. People just expect a BMW to do well. They are blown away when a Volvo places in the top 5. Now the internet is completely different. I will always get a few negative comments on FaceBook, non-Volvo car forums etc...But its the internet, so I take that with a grain of salt.
A couple of thoughts:

1) That is REALLY a sweet car! You can abandon that in my driveway any time!

2) I have finally (after 70 years) learned not to care about what others think about my projects. Still, it's way cool when others appreciate my efforts so I get it.

Dan
Dan Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #53
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
I was thinking of picking up that 4.8 from a neighbor, it has a spun yet supposedly repairable cam bearing (bearing spun in the block) , in case the block was toast I was trying to figure out what the internals and bolt on parts would work with if I was to find just a bare block.

There is someone local selling a brand new unused LM7 block from Summit racing for $300.
the other parts are good for any gen 3 4.8/5.3 block. a free engine isn't a bad thing to have, but if you're getting into more than a couple hundred for machine work I'd take it and set it in the corner for spares later.. and spend a couple hundred on one without a smoked cam bearing.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #54
Dan
TQ>HP

Quote:
I've never gotten a negative comment on Berserker when someone sees it in person. At autocross it's one of the more popular cars. At car shows it will draw a small crowd. Only the ones that will know that the 5.0 is not stock. About the only think other than compliments will be the standard question "Why a Volvo?" My standard answer is "If you ask me why, you already know the answer." Because its something different. On the autocross course I get tons more attention that my BMW ever did. People just expect a BMW to do well. They are blown away when a Volvo places in the top 5. Now the internet is completely different. I will always get a few negative comments on FaceBook, non-Volvo car forums etc...But its the internet, so I take that with a grain of salt.
Totally my experience also. I get very different reactions in person than online. But I only need to make me happy and I am

Last edited by Dan; 03-24-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #55
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

I've gotten a variety of reactions, most of the folks around here just don't understand it at all. not the choice in cars, just... the whole thing. Several guys have said "I wouldn't be lettin' no one see dat"

several others asked if I could tune their gm ___________, and some just shake their heads. I've never really cared what anyone thought though.. and when you roll off and shred their sports car after they shoot their mouth off... they don't say much again later ;)
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #56
Red0ktober
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stokes View Post
Or even better, a SBF swapped Volvo (I'm doing one).

Dan
I just did one.
1971 Opel Kadett Caravan, for 24 Hours of LeMons Rally
Red0ktober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #57
jerryc
Board Member

I had a small format car mag in the 60's that did an article on an Austin Healey Sprite with a Corvette motor. Many shoehorns....
It twisted the halfshafts.

When Volvo George was near me, he did some work on my car. One day I went over and he asked me how he could make this 240 I hadn't seen, run on 4 cylinders. I was thinking 'why is He asking Me?' So he turned the key... rr rrr Vroooom. I just started laughing and said 'take off 4 plug wires'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
There isn't one because dudes aren't grossed out by unsolicited vaginas.

Last edited by jerryc; 06-15-2017 at 02:04 PM..
jerryc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #58
Gussie
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
I had a small format car mag in the 60's that did an article on an Austin Healey Sprite with a Corvette motor. Many shoehorns....
In highschool (1979) I had a neighbor who had a Bugeye with a V8 and a shortened rear axle. He said it was a magazine car from way back and the engine and live rear axle was from a Corvette. It had seen better days but ran well and did hilarious burnouts. I asked him if he'd sell it to me. He said nope, because it'd easily spin out at freeway speeds and he didn't want to sell me the car in which I would clearly die. Good man in retrospect.

Last edited by Gussie; 06-15-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Gussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #59
BigIrish
Board Member

Quote:
I've never gotten a negative comment on Berserker when someone sees it in person. At autocross it's one of the more popular cars.....
I have a similar 244 aka "Bricktop" with 5.0 & T-5 that I also built for autocross. I run it at the local BMW club events. I have to say, even the true BMW & Porsche snobs manage to admit it's pretty cool. Everyone else flat out loves it. People walk right past the dude wiping down his new M4 to look at my pile.

Mine's even more old-school since I backdated it to a 4bbl carb. No ABS, no computers of any kind and I beat numerous BMWs, vettes, S2000s, etc. No one likes getting beat by a volvo!

Everyone is "LS everything" now, but the SBF is a great engine to work with. Aluminum heads save 50 lbs and add around 70 hp to a 5.0. Smaller than an LS as well. Also if you like simplicity like me, throw on an aluminum 4bbl intake with an HEI distributor and you are back to having exactly 2 wires: Start and Run.
BigIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #60
Pillow
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
the other parts are good for any gen 3 4.8/5.3 block. a free engine isn't a bad thing to have, but if you're getting into more than a couple hundred for machine work I'd take it and set it in the corner for spares later.. and spend a couple hundred on one without a smoked cam bearing.
Agreed 100%!!! You can find GOOD motors sooo cheap it is not worth the money to rebuild them from trash. Only buy one with clean internals, pop the valve cover and check for the honey coloration.

With all the "freshening up" and cam swap goodies do expect about a $1000 engine once complete that produces about 400 HP.

Here is my must-do and el cheapo checklist:
- LS9 cam - new GM (cheap!)
- LS2 cam cover
- LS2 cam gear
- LS6 valve springs (Blue)
- Valve stem seals
- Timing chain (the new ones are beefy compared to old)
- Oil Pan kit as needed for swap
- New GM thermostat (GM only)
- Water pump gaskets (GM only)
- ARP exhaust manifold bolts (worth every penny, GM stock bolts fail)
- ARP crankshaft bolt
- valve cover seals
- intake manifold as needed
- intake manifold seals

The oil pan is the $ killer here. If you can use the truck pan, then you just saved about $300.

Also I have used the LS7 and LS2 cams in my swaps, but the new dollars go for the LS9 which is about $120 new and pretty much identical to the LS7. Note the springs and retainers for the LS7 and LS9 cams do not work on 5.3 heads, stay LS6 for fitment.

Now go forth and completely blow the budget on the transmission, mounts, rear axle, and FI system!

FWIW I have most of the drivetrain setup for the 960, but needs time at home for any real progress at this point. My goal for the Volvo was for fall LS Fest 2017... I doubt it.
1948 30' Spartan Mansion aluminum trailer
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #61
jerryc
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gussie View Post
In highschool (1979) I had a neighbor who had a Bugeye with a V8 and a shortened rear axle. He said it was a magazine car from way back and the engine and live rear axle was from a Corvette. It had seen better days but ran well and did hilarious burnouts. I asked him if he'd sell it to me. He said nope, because it'd easily spin out at freeway speeds and he didn't want to sell me the car in which I would clearly die. Good man in retrospect.
This is a very odd coincidence. I are speechless. I didn't think anyone would even believe me, and... dang.
Yes the one in my mag was a Bugeye, the other style had not come out yet.
jerryc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #62
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIrish View Post
I have a similar 244 aka "Bricktop" with 5.0 & T-5 that I also built for autocross. I run it at the local BMW club events. I have to say, even the true BMW & Porsche snobs manage to admit it's pretty cool. Everyone else flat out loves it. People walk right past the dude wiping down his new M4 to look at my pile.
This is the crux of the biscuit. I want to smoke the Car and Driver fanboi Credit card racer who is running the same cookie cutter setup given in a magazine,

With a rusted 67 Volvo wagon that I knocked together in my own garage!
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #63
M.H. Yount
Board Member

I weighed the 5.0L with aluminum heads that came out of mine and the LS3 that went in. Apples to apples (more or less) - no accessories, no flywheel, all ignition, fuel injection and exhaust manifolds in place. Cast iron manifolds on the LS, tubular steel shorties on the 5.0L. 8.2" deck height on the 5.0L - 9.2" deck height on the LS3 -- so a better comparison would actually be with a 351 Ford. 5.0L weighed 411 lbs. LS3 weighed 393 lbs. - which matched the shipping weight minus the flexplate and crating to within 1 pound. The aluminum heads on the 5.0L knock about 45 lbs. off the weight - so a 'typical' Mustang or Explorer 5.0L weighs about 60 lbs. more than an aluminum LS. A similarly equipped 351 (9.2" or 9.5") weighs about 70 lbs. more than the 5.0L. The LS motor (with car intake) is MUCH shorter than an efi Ford motor. Available accessory drives (Corvette) allow a lot more room at the front of the motor. Exhaust manifold clearance is similar on both. My LS motor is significantly quieter, smoother and more refined than the 5.0L that came out. So far, city mileage about 2 mpg better with the LS. Both were/are fun; one more so than the other. FWIW