home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
doleary

Default 83 240 glt need advice

Sorry if this is the wrong section just needed you guys' advice im thinking about buying an 83 volvo 240 glt its manual and has the turbo b21f. paint is beat, interior is beat, high mileage, it seems to run good though. owner is asking for $1300 but it has $850 in back fees. Seemed a little high to me exspecially sense i live in ca and dont even know if it will pass smog. Iv been trying to compare prices but cant find any 4 door turbos really, is the car really that rare ? what do you guys think ?
doleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
doleary

oh and has the kjet which if i remember correctly isnt the greatest for tuning or higher boost. Do i have any options for getting some horses out of her (safely)and keeping the kjet for now. Also its missing the hose for the water cool on the turbo how big of a deal is this ?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=2446

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #4
doleary

thank you sir any opinion on the price. since i suppose i wouldn't really have to make it go fast if i didn't purchase it.... ......
Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #5
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by doleary View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong section just needed you guys' advice im thinking about buying an 83 volvo 240 glt its manual and has the turbo b21f. paint is beat, interior is beat, high mileage, it seems to run good though. owner is asking for $1300 but it has $850 in back fees. Seemed a little high to me exspecially sense i live in ca and dont even know if it will pass smog. Iv been trying to compare prices but cant find any 4 door turbos really, is the car really that rare ? what do you guys think ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doleary View Post
oh and has the kjet which if i remember correctly isnt the greatest for tuning or higher boost. Do i have any options for getting some horses out of her (safely)and keeping the kjet for now. Also its missing the hose for the water cool on the turbo how big of a deal is this ?
They are getting much harder to find. Pictures would help a lot. Could be worth it. It's in the ball park anyways.

As long as the k-jet runs good, it's okay.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
doleary

thank you tuff240 i guess im just more concerned about me going to smog the thing after spending all my money on the car and to register it and then have to drop alot of cash to get it to pass smog. how are these things with ca smog ? If something does go wrong is it generally cheap/expensive to fix? I know these are super vague questions but appreciate any attempt at an answer pretty stocked to be finally getting in a 240 if all goes well.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Kind of depends on your skill level and who you know. I'm assuming you aren't well versed with k-jet because you are asking the questions you are. If someone knows them well, they are fairly easy to fix and maintain. It will most likely need a LOT of maintenance judging by the rest of your description.
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #8
doleary

like the body is in good shape no rust/rot, minimal dents. dash is cracked to **** and leather seats are tooooorn up. But like i said it does seem to run and ride nice.Idk thing is still sexy as hell haha. Aslong as its in the ballpark im cool with it. Like the dude is hella cool and a follow tbricker even if i just met him on CL. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt letting the excitment of a car iv wanted for a long time get the better of me. Anyways thanks again.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
doleary

I would be completely new to kjet but i am mechanically inclined. I just moved to long beach area and no longer work at a garage so place to work on it would be limited, was going to try to look into see if the have any of those self service auto places out here so i dont fook my driveway all up hah
Old 06-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #10
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Is it the faded silver one on CL?
Old 06-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
doleary

probably
Old 06-16-2017, 11:44 PM   #12
doleary

little bit of surface rust on the lf fender
Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #13
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Nevermind, one on CL I was thinking of has cloth seats.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

In California it's the sellers responsibility to smog the vehicle. And it's only good for 3 months. I would ask the person to smog it. If they say no, I would pass on a beat car with back fees.