Board Member

B20 A is the thick head gasket... darn.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #102
sspony
Board Member

Yea... Still trying to make a decision on how proceed with this build haha. I know what the ideal build for would be, but I also know I could never personally justify the $4k+ It would take to do that.

If I do the budget build I'll be about $1,200 into it. That's everything including the b20 itself and new clutch. I could always come back later and put a hotter cam/lifters/springs.

65' 122s (daily driver)
82' 242 dl
88' 740 "rally wagon"
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #103
carbonmike
Board Member

I have a B20 head gasket that is .040" uncompressed, and no B20. Yours if you want it.
carbonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #104
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonmike View Post
I have a B20 head gasket that is .040" uncompressed, and no B20. Yours if you want it.
Thanks man! I hope to make a decision about the build by this weekend and can let you know!
Old 01-27-2016, 01:09 AM   #105
carbonmike
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspony View Post
Thanks man! I hope to make a decision about the build by this weekend and can let you know!
No problem. Let me know if you need it, shipping should be trivial.

Just got a really nice job offer in Seattle. Stay tuned,might be de-hoarding a bunch of push-rod stuff including a serviceable F-head. Might be a good option for you if boat head mods don't work out.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #106
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
No problem. Let me know if you need it, shipping should be trivial.

Just got a really nice job offer in Seattle. Stay tuned,might be de-hoarding a bunch of push-rod stuff including a serviceable F-head. Might be a good option for you if boat head mods don't work out.
Yea, that might be a real good option! Is it together? Should already have hardened valve seats right? Keep me posted and thanks!
Also what brand is the head gasket?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #107
carbonmike
Board Member

It is a Payen, it is probably the same one that you have. Did you measure yours? It is probably 0.040".
Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #108
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
It is a Payen, it is probably the same one that you have. Did you measure yours? It is probably 0.040".
I'll check it and will report back. When you say serviceable head, what does that mean? Haha

Also, congrats on the job offer. Seattle is cool area.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #109
cwdodson88
Board Member

hey sspony - I emailed you pics of that cam. I also couldnt find that set of pushrods, sorry I might have mistakenly given those away, but anywho, the Isky "Hi Rev kit" from ipd can actually be had for about 180.00 on summit if you substitute summit lifters...
pushrods - ISK-MG-003
lifters - SUM-HT992

or you can do all isky for about 40.00 more
lifters - ISK-202H-8
Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #110
planetman
Board Member

I sell an all Isky lifter and pushrod kit for less than $200.00.

I don't have a picture on my website, but I do have it listed.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/...products_id=62
planetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #111
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetman View Post
I sell an all Isky lifter and pushrod kit for less than $200.00.

I don't have a picture on my website, but I do have it listed.

http://hiperformanceautoservice.com/...products_id=62
Even better option! Keeping the Volvo community going!
Old 01-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #112
sspony
Board Member

Unfortunately due to time/economic restraints it looks like this project will be put on hold for now. At least that gives me a little time to come up with a more detailed plan.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #113
cwdodson88
Board Member

Join the club, I've been adding parts to my b20 build stockpile for 2 years now... looks like this spring will be the final parts order for the b20... For the last year I've spent my money on getting the turbo set up and I figure that the B18 bottom end is about toasty, so its a good time to get my sh!t together and finish the b20 bottom end up.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #114
carbonmike
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Join the club, I've been adding parts to my b20 build stockpile for 2 years now... looks like this spring will be the final parts order for the b20... For the last year I've spent my money on getting the turbo set up and I figure that the B18 bottom end is about toasty, so its a good time to get my sh!t together and finish the b20 bottom end up.
You are running a B18 block with FI heads? Any detonation issues with the wider than piston combustion chamber?

My B18 is in great shape, PO had it rebuilt. Thinking about going with Jenvey ITBs as I want to keep the block and head as is. Jenveys are spendy, but cheaper than a new engine.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #115
cwdodson88
Board Member

yep, B18 block .040 pistons, B18 HG. No issues with detonation up to 15psi, timing in that area is around 18* +/- 2* depending on RPMs. Idle timing is at 13*, and max is 38-ish at 40kpa/4k-rpms... Lately I've been noticing slightly louder than normal valve clatter, but its been 6 months since I checked them, its on the list for this weekend.

Last edited by cwdodson88; 01-29-2016 at 02:09 PM..
Old 01-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #116
carbonmike
Board Member

Quote:
yep, B18 block .040 pistons, B18 HG. No issues with detonation up to 15psi, timing in that area is around 18* +/- 2* depending on RPMs. Idle timing is at 13*, and max is 38-ish at 40kpa/4k-rpms... Lately I've been noticing slightly louder than normal valve clatter, but its been 6 months since I checked them, its on the list for this weekend.
I put an E head on my 142 thinking it was a B20. Didn't realize it was actually a B18 until I measured the valves on the old head. Block was too dirty to read the markings. '69 was supposed to have a B20 and it looked like one to me, Alt boss etc. Turns out it was a High Compression B18. No idea where it came from. Runs well enough, bottom end is tired on that one though.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #117
cwdodson88
Board Member

When I had it open last, I set the head on and flipped it upside down, the bore/cumbustion chamber looked like it was just about the same size, no real notable "mushroom", so I went with it. Its ran great so far, even under boost it has held up pretty well... I do get a little blow by, when its cold you can take the PCV hose off and it looks like a seamboat chimney I always planned to have the b20 bottom done, just never had all the stuff to get it together. Its been a "tax day" project, every tax refund gets me a bit closer, looks like this year it'll finally be all there.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #118
sspony
Board Member

That's awesome!

My daily drivers have destroyed my finances and time recently. 2 had bad transmissions and a slew of other issues. Then it comes down to projects and it's time to get something running that's been in my garage for far too many years. The 65' 122 drives for now at least. But my 66' mustang hasn't seen the road for 20-30 years (5 of which I've owned it) It's extremely close now, and I just need to finish it. Wish I had time/money/space for all of them.
However since the mustang was my first project car and started this whole car addiction it's time to give it life.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #119
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspony View Post
That's awesome!

My daily drivers have destroyed my finances and time recently. 2 had bad transmissions and a slew of other issues. Then it comes down to projects and it's time to get something running that's been in my garage for far too many years. The 65' 122 drives for now at least. But my 66' mustang hasn't seen the road for 20-30 years (5 of which I've owned it) It's extremely close now, and I just need to finish it. Wish I had time/money/space for all of them.
However since the mustang was my first project car and started this whole car addiction it's time to give it life.
mustang... whatcha doin to it?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #120
NONHOG
equal opportunity car guy

Quote:
mustang... whatcha doin to it?
X2 build thread link?

I back burner everything all the time. My 5.0 262 swap is dang close but new floors in the house, leaking roof on my house , my shop and the parents cabin have kept me from getting stuff done(on cars). Told my kid we will pull the B20 out of the Amazon this winter and seal it up, maybe some minor upgrades/repair. Hood is still closed save for a battery charger hook up. Poor thing sits covered with camping supplies.

Enjoying the thread!
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #121
sspony
Board Member

Yea, that's how life goes. The b20 will get built, but it may be next winter.

As for the mustang, it's been a long project. It was my first project and the one that started this addiction haha. I also learned everything on that car. How to weld/paint/motors/brakes/suspension/etc.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #122
sspony
Board Member

Well, it's time to resurrect this thread with a new twist. Chris ought to like this one haha.

New plan for the 122. I've come across a vintage "Accel Turbo Kit". So the simple plan is boosted b20. It will require me making an adapter plate to go from the webber intake to a standard Holley/edelbrock carb pattern. I can use either a 2 barrel or 4 barrel depending on fuel needs and tunability. I will also need to make a custom exhaust manifold to incorporate the turbo, a custom throttle linkage and an oil feed for the turbo. For the last item I was thinking about using the adapter from the boat motor that's used for the oil cooler. Just brainstorming for now.

Let's hear some thoughts/input.

I really like the idea of a vintage turbo setup on a vintage motor.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #123
carbonmike
Board Member

They make a turbo hat for a pressurized blow through setup for the weber downdraft. That doesn't mean it is the best idea though.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #124
cwdodson88
Board Member

timing.... going to have to figure out a boost retard system if you plan on making any more than 5-6 psi.

The stock dual downpipe manifold does great, just need to go down and forward and put the turbo on it. If you can find some 6" radius 180* mandrel bent thick wall tubing that would put the turbo right around the alternator, unfortunately the manifold leaves few options for downpipe routing.. I had to run mine out by the fender around the manifold, and its only got about 1/4" clearance between DP and mani, and 1/2" between fender and DP, and clears the intake (FI) by about 2".
Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #125
sspony
Board Member

This is the oil filter adapter I was referring to. I believe it's supposed to be for an oil cool but I think it could be used as the turbo oil feed.