home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #126
sspony
Board Member

This is what the turbo kit looks like. Only I don't have the manifold shown in this picture.

65' 122s (daily driver)
82' 242 dl
88' 740 "rally wagon"
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #127
sspony
Board Member

As for timing is there a way I can control that with my electronic ignition?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 AM   #128
cwdodson88
Board Member

^ don't do that as a feed, its an oil/water cooler. Either t in to the pressure bung or use the front oil galley hole.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #129
cwdodson88
Board Member

For timing, if you keep boost under 7# it might be ok to just run it, maybe a little retarded. Since you won't be able to intercool it, I wouldn't run more than that anyway.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #130
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspony View Post
This is the oil filter adapter I was referring to. I believe it's supposed to be for an oil cool but I think it could be used as the turbo oil feed.

Just put a T on the oil light hole in the main gallery (pictured to the right of your filter) - easy and in the right place.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #131
Tfrasca
Board Member

That's a crazy looking turbo set up. I think you could run an intercooler if you clocked the turbo and ran some really long pipes, no?

I'm curious to see how this works out, as it's relevant to the B20 I have and will be building over the next year or so.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #132
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
That's a crazy looking turbo set up. I think you could run an intercooler if you clocked the turbo and ran some really long pipes, no?

I'm curious to see how this works out, as it's relevant to the B20 I have and will be building over the next year or so.
its a draw through setup, so you would be blowing the air/fuel mix into the intercooler, not the best idea.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #133
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
its a draw through setup, so you would be blowing the air/fuel mix into the intercooler, not the best idea.
Oh, right.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #134
cwdodson88
Board Member

personally if I were to do a draw through on a 122, I would j-pipe off a dual outlet downpipe, mount the turbo just above were the alt sits, but backward so the downpipe comes out and forward then goes down between the radiator and turbo, and the compressor outlet points at the intake manifold, then find a single SU intake manifold or make a Y pipe on a dual SU intake. Short plumbing, less heat soak, add a water/meth injector pre carb if you decide to run sooper boost, or if its really hot out.

Or with a custom manifold, you could do something like this

hood clearance might be a bit scary, but you could replace the weber with a 2" Jag SU.

Last edited by cwdodson88; 03-08-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Old 03-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #135
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

I've got a couple of HIF-7's if you're looking for a bit more and don't want to go to an 8 (the Jag guys horde them).
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #136
cwdodson88
Board Member

another idea, just need a blow through SU HIF44 off a Mini Metro.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #137
sspony
Board Member

All good ideas.

I was thinking of using a standard Holley with the adapter to do a 5-6 psi draw through setup. I'm not sure if there's enough real estate under the hood for the odd accel turbo sonic setup.

The pics I posted earlier are someone else's. Same kit though. I'm going to get some pics of the kit I'm getting tomorrow. Try to see what turbo is with it.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #138
cwdodson88
Board Member

I'm thinking that if your new exhaust manifold will fit with the stock su intake, that might be a great way to go. You are already going to need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator so adapting a pressure port to the carbs would be as simple as a 1/4 npt barb to the float chamber.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 AM   #139
sspony
Board Member

Here are some pictures of the actually setup I found near by while looking at an old muscle car. I'll probably pick it up either way because it's pretty weird and awesome. So even if it doesn't go on the 122 it will find a home somewhere.

Last edited by sspony; 03-09-2016 at 03:56 AM..
Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 AM   #140
cwdodson88
Board Member

That's a Garrett t04b, very nice, looks clean. Make it fit!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #141
sspony
Board Member

Unfortunately it will be a week or so before I can get my hands on it haha. I'm very curious about that intake that says "accel" on it. Also curious to see if that carb adapter has any other features. It's made for an old chevy 350 from what I can gather. Should be more then enough for my little b20!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #142
cwdodson88
Board Member

judging by the pics, the carb mount and the intake compressed air pipe are the same cast unit... so it might need to go on backward if you see what I mean.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #143
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
judging by the pics, the carb mount and the intake compressed air pipe are the same cast unit... so it might need to go on backward if you see what I mean.
I'm not quite getting it. Your saying the intake for the turbo comes from the carb mount? How do you avoid fuel in the air mixture? Maybe you don't?

See more of it do you think I should just use a Holley on this setup instead of trying to run one of the other styles of carb? I would need to fab a custom intake that would match the bottom of that carb adapter.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:44 PM   #144
cwdodson88
Board Member

what I see in the pic is that the carb base and the turbo outlet pipe (that bolts to the intake manifold) are one piece, judging by the turbo placement, it is supposed to sit with the carb centered in the engine bay, and turbo on the driver side with the "accel" logo pointed out front. With the b18/20 having the exhaust and intake on the passenger side, you would need to clock it so that the accel logo is readable from the passenger fender or the passenger seat with the downpipe pointing either at the valve cover, or toward the radiator... make sense?

For the carb, a 4 barrel might be kinda cool, maybe a smallish one.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #145
cwdodson88
Board Member

heres a rough sketch of what I mean from the top view
Old 03-10-2016, 07:03 AM   #146
sspony
Board Member

I gotcha. I was thinking the same thing and trying to figure out how to flip the whole thing to the other side.

I wonder if there's enough space under the hood for all of that? I don't wanna chop things up on this car. I was thinking I could use a webber style intake and just make an adapter to go from the intake to the carb base. But I suppose that would put that who assembly up pretty high so i might run out of room. Custom exhaust Manifold Should be interesting.

I'm thinking a four barrel with vacuum secondaries. That way you could "tune" the additional fuel for when you have built boost. Just a theory mind you haha
Old 03-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #147
cwdodson88
Board Member

Aluminum carb spacer for a Chevy 350 welded to a Webber manifold? Hood clearance might be tough but there is a few inches between the top of the valve cover and the hood.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #148
sspony
Board Member

Yea space is going to be the biggest problem.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #149
cwdodson88
Board Member

well you can just about close the hood with a pabst can sitting on the valve cover so I think you will be ok if you can find or make a very slim air cleaner. The carb mount and spacer should be about as tall as the weber including filter, and you should have 4 maybe 5 inches from there to the hood.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #150
sspony
Board Member

That's an awesome unit of measurement. 1 pbr. Haha

Hopefully I can get all of the stuff in the next few weeks and at least set it under the hood to see what my options are. Exhaust and intake are going to be tough.