home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #151
cwdodson88
Board Member

I shut the hood and then went back to something else and came back "where did I set that beer"

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #152
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
I shut the hood and then went back to something else and came back "where did I set that beer"
Nice! Guess I need to get that turbo assembly and put a can next to it for an accurate measurement.

So what else needs to be considered for adding a low pressure turbo to this car?

Also what kind of power gains can I expect if I'm running that 4 barrel Holley and 5-6 psi on an otherwise stock b20 with a decent cam.

65' 122s (daily driver)
82' 242 dl
88' 740 "rally wagon"

Last edited by sspony; 03-10-2016 at 10:03 PM..
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #153
sspony
Board Member

Here's a thread that has some decent pictures showing how the system works.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=24542
Old 03-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #154
cwdodson88
Board Member

You'd probably be looking at 125-130 hp at the flywheel, for a high estimate. Head porting and good flowing manifolds and you might break the 150 mark.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #155
sspony
Board Member

That's a lot of work/money for 10-15hp!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #156
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspony View Post
That's a lot of work/money for 10-15hp!

The vintage HP game is a tough game to play.

Many thousands for 200 NA hp's.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Last edited by Redwood Chair; 03-11-2016 at 11:38 AM..
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #157
cwdodson88
Board Member

I'd say that a standard b20 produces about 90 HP, maybe 100, each # of boost will gain you 7-10% with good tuning, so carb, mech timing control, probably more like 5% per #... going off my 3 pocket dyno apps, 0-60 and 1/8th mile times, I'm only seeing like 180 at the wheels tops, heavily ported, FI, and that was at 10-12psi... so thats like 100% over stock on the b18 bottom end, but its been bored .040, b20 head thats ported with larger exhaust valves, then timing control and fuel control via MS..
Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #158
sspony
Board Member

That's pretty awesome!

But I'm not looking for 200hp.... Yet. :D

I was just hoping with the turbo I could easily be in the 140-150hp range. Stock is 118 hp for a b20-b.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #159
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Buncha money.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #160
sspony
Board Member

Sounds like you have some solid real world exp to back that 130 hp guesstimate up. Still a bummer haha.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #161
cwdodson88
Board Member

^ for nothing but smiles and a nasty noise! but OMG pushrod motors sound fun when they're boosted.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #162
sspony
Board Member

Lots of thinking to do now haha. Maybe the turbo kit would be happier on some old v8

...... In a 122. Haha only kidding. This ride is too original for me to chop anything. Bolt of stuff is fine because it can always be in-bolted.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:44 AM   #163
cwdodson88
Board Member

Really, its kinda funny that I can keep up with some pretty quick cars. I run out of steam at 1000ft and 80-85mph but thats just gearing. Wagons with 4.56 rear and 4 gears will do that. Recently after upping from 7-12psi I was able to pull pretty well on a 5.0 mustang from 20-80 mph, then he grabbed 4th and I had no more gears
Old 03-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #164
ME II
Board Member

Quote:
Here's a thread that has some decent pictures showing how the system works.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=24542
I had one of those on a 350 Corvette. Its been a long time and I can't remember much about it. If my memory serves, I was running about 8PSI. I did not have it on the car for long as a tree got in my way.

One issue that I had was the car overheating very quickly. I could mat it through the first three gears, but by the time I got to fourth it was creeping up to the red zone. No intercooler, just a dumb kid and not a lot was known about turbos back then, especially up here in the sticks. I never got things sorted before I wrecked the car.
ME II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #165
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME II View Post
I had one of those on a 350 Corvette. Its been a long time and I can't remember much about it. If my memory serves, I was running about 8PSI. I did not have it on the car for long as a tree got in my way.

One issue that I had was the car overheating very quickly. I could mat it through the first three gears, but by the time I got to fourth it was creeping up to the red zone. No intercooler, just a dumb kid and not a lot was known about turbos back then, especially up here in the sticks. I never got things sorted before I wrecked the car.
I have also found that the increased temp from the turbo needs better cooling capacity. Although it could just have been that my factory radiator was 50 years old and may not have ever been cleaned/boiled ever.

I would say that doing pre-turbo water meth or even post turbo water meth injection would allow for more boost, and better overall function. Then add in a new aluminum radiator with, say a 14" fan ( like I might just have for sale shortly) and you will on the way to a good daily setup.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #166
volvorelix
Board Member

Quote:
I'd say that a standard b20 produces about 90 HP, maybe 100, each # of boost will gain you 7-10% with good tuning, so carb, mech timing control, probably more like 5% per #... going off my 3 pocket dyno apps, 0-60 and 1/8th mile times, I'm only seeing like 180 at the wheels tops, heavily ported, FI, and that was at 10-12psi... so thats like 100% over stock on the b18 bottom end, but its been bored .040, b20 head thats ported with larger exhaust valves, then timing control and fuel control via MS..
I think it's impossible to guess what kind of output a theoretical engine with "porting" and a "good cam" might actually produce. Just a loose comparison -- I have a B20 that's .040" over, with standard valves, average porting, a recurved distributor without any timing control, no fuel control other than a single DCOE Weber, and it dynoed 176 at the rear wheels with a leaking manifold gasket at 4 psi.

As you know, boost pressure measures resistance to boost more than actual flow through the engine in cfm. It doesn't really offer an apples to apples metric.

Best,

Cameron
Portland
volvorelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #167
volvorelix
Board Member

Quote:
I was just hoping with the turbo I could easily be in the 140-150hp range. Stock is 118 hp for a b20-b.
You really should be able to reach that goal without the turbo. Not cheaply, but certainly not impossible.

Best,

Cameron
Portland
volvorelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #168
sspony
Board Member

Well I can get a hold of the whole turbo kit for $200. Then I would just need to fab the other parts which is more labor then money. Probably can get a decent carb for $200.

So the question is, can I hit 150hp for $500?
Old 03-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #169
carbonmike
Board Member

Quote:
Well I can get a hold of the whole turbo kit for $200. Then I would just need to fab the other parts which is more labor then money. Probably can get a decent carb for $200.

A wideband may be a good investment. Detonation insurance. Not to mention it takes the guesswork out of tuning.
carbonmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #170
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonmike View Post
A wideband may be a good investment. Detonation insurance. Not to mention it takes the guesswork out of tuning.
That's a good idea.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #171
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Quote:

Realistically, no.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #172
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Realistically, no.
+1, unless that turbo was free you will need to have some (quoting RWC quoting me "buncha money") supporting mods in order to get there, but depending on your crafty-ness and bargain hunter-ability it might be close to do-able. Maybe.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #173
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorelix View Post
I think it's impossible to guess what kind of output a theoretical engine with "porting" and a "good cam" might actually produce. Just a loose comparison -- I have a B20 that's .040" over, with standard valves, average porting, a recurved distributor without any timing control, no fuel control other than a single DCOE Weber, and it dynoed 176 at the rear wheels with a leaking manifold gasket at 4 psi.

As you know, boost pressure measures resistance to boost more than actual flow through the engine in cfm. It doesn't really offer an apples to apples metric.

Best,

Cameron
Portland
Cameron here is right, there is no exact way to calculate the HP that your engine will produce due to the number of factors involved and variations within those factors. The most gain seen with any b18/b20 is going to be in the head work and cam selection. With proper porting and cam selection there are B20's in that 150-200hp area in NA form. With regards to a boosted application, you should be looking for a cam with decent lift and lot less overlap than a performance NA cam. Searching for a stock grind with minimal overlap has brought me to a D or K cam, which from reviews in NA form give decent low throttle response/acceleration, looking at the profile it seems to be enough lift and duration to be acceptable for a lightly boosted beast.

My estimation of % increase/# of boost is a loose correlation of all factors involved, so please dont rely on those numbers, they are lowball estimations only.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #174
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:

$500 will just about get some HIF6'S rebuilt professionally, counting shipping both ways.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #175
sspony
Board Member

Quote:

Wasnt planning to use s/u carbs on a boosted build. But if a cam is required thats certainly going to tank the budget haha.

In the end it might be best to just go with a solid na b20 build.