home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 10-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Fretka
Board Member

Default Terrible wheel hop, can't lose it

Hello, guys!

Sorry for making a new thread if this is discussed somewhere already (it must be), but I couldn't find it.
I've experienced pretty terrible wheel hop then and now lately. Weird thing is that I didn't have it before for a long time with same setup. I thought it's my rear shocks that were worn. Changed those but still everything is the same.
Probably it's useful to mention that rear shocks are from way different car, much stiffer and almost twice shorter because of how low the car is to achieve better shock absorber travel.
Springs are from different car aswell - shorter and stiffer than original ones.

All the diff and axle bushing look fine for me, except one that is in lower end of panhard bar. Could that be the case? Somehow don't want to believe it.

One more thing that makes me think is that panhard bar is not shorter or adjustable, so the axle is in offset because of lowering. Could that be the case?

Anyways, thanks for any suggestions. Have been reading about wheel hop that it can be caused by A LOT of things. I know that I need to make everything on poly bushings all around sooner or later because of drifting, but haven't had time to do it yet.

Lastly - wheel hop appears pretty randomly. Mostly it's when you are loosing grips on straight line, more rarely when going sideways, but it still appears sometimes. Then I just let it go, kick the clutch again and it has disappeared.

Think that's about it.

Mexipoku - custom low budget suspension solutions
Fretka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Texas240
Prius Owner

Need to give us some info on car, setup or you won't get any help
Old 10-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Fretka
Board Member

Sorry!

'91 944, dead 1041 axle, B200FT turbo-back 70mm pipe, 16t turbo, 0,8bar boost, welded diff
I would say that car is lowered about 120mm by original height, so rear axle is offset really badly.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretka View Post
Sorry!

'91 944, dead 1041 axle, B200FT turbo-back 70mm pipe, 16t turbo, 0,8bar boost, welded diff
I would say that car is lowered about 120mm by original height, so rear axle is offset really badly.
120mm is like a 5 inches drop and you wonder why you have some wheel hop?

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
120mm is like a 5 inches drop and you wonder why you have some wheel hop?
This.

Fix your dimensions and try again.

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
JohnLane
Board Member

There is not much more then five inches between the bottom of engine crossmember and the ground in a standard 240.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
chris gilmour
Board Member

Poly is NOT the answer. It doesn't have enough give when the axle articulates. It just puts stress on your mounts. I've been slowly changing all my bushings out for heim joints. I recently swapped out my stock torque rods with a custom set with heim joints at both ends. They have a little more vibration through the chassis. But they have gotten rid of any wheel hop.

My plans so far are to go with dual heim joints on the torque rods. Poly bushings on the lower control arms (main axle bushings) and a custom heim joints from frame to front of lower control arms. I feel this will keep the axle planted in place, but allow for up and down "flex" of the suspension. I've read that the main axle bushings can cause lots of wheel hop when worn out. That might be the first place to look
chris gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #8
Texas240
Prius Owner

And that welded diff probably isnt helping either when taking tight turns
Texas240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:55 PM   #9
GSWAGON
my other ride is a exmark

I got terrible wheel hop in my car with an ez locker installed, put in a g80 and it went away...I'd bet its a combo of the welded diff and panhard being out of adjustment if car is that low with a stock bar
11 V50 R-Design Black/Black-wifes
12 Ram QCSB Hemi Black Express
15 Ram CCSB Hemi Max Steel 4x4

Life is short, so live it! You are only old when your dreams are replaced by regrets.
GSWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:50 AM   #10
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Back in the day I picked up a new set of tires and on the drive home I had horrible wheel hop when I got on it. Turned out the tire shop overfilled the tires with to much pressure.

Check the tire pressure it might just be to high. Keep it Simple to start.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:06 AM   #11
benski
Board Member

Are your shocks attached at both ends? Have you shucked a weight on your wheel(s)? Has one of your tires separated a belt internally?

I've had all of the above contribute to come and go wheel hopping while driving under normal circumstances, at different times, with different cars...
benski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 AM   #12
runslikeapenguin
Board Member

It sounds to me like the entire setup is bad.

Geometry is bad.
Diff is welded.
No up travel, all droop.
Unknown dampeners.
Unknown spring rates.

It's like world class companies hire engineers to design these cars and their suspension so this kind of thing doesn't happen.
runslikeapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:05 AM   #13
Fretka
Board Member

Thanks for answers. I hear what you are saying, I think first thing is to get my rear axle straight by installing adjustable panhard bar.
I don't see how welded diff would affect this since LSD works the same way while doing skids.
There is up travel, shock absorber travel is how it's ment to be, just way shorter and more stiffer then original.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 AM   #14
doucheNozzle

Quote:
Thanks for answers. I hear what you are saying, I think first thing is to get my rear axle straight by installing adjustable panhard bar.
I don't see how welded diff would affect this since LSD works the same way while doing skids.
There is up travel, shock absorber travel is how it's ment to be, just way shorter and more stiffer then original.
Well clearly you know all of the answers. Glad you asked us for advice.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #15
Mogly
350HP Regina Hub dyno

Sounds like you have two different size tires.
Mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #16
Benjam83
Moar Volvos than Queen B

Quote:
That is one thing....I'm not sure how you prioritize what you've got going one here...

Quote:
You don't??? Ok...

...Seriously???

Quote:
There is up travel, shock absorber travel is how it's ment to be,
If this ^^^
Quote:
just way shorter and more stiffer then original.
Then not this^^^

Get some properly valved dampers, with proper springs. I had a 940 SE (IRS) with stock replacement, but still rubber bushings, and my wheel hop went away with proper dampers and springs from BNE. And the IRS cars are more suseptible to wheelhop than the solid axle cars. But....I wasn't dragging my cross-member either.

12 WRX Hatchback
10 Subaru Outback
93 245 m47
Benjam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #17
runslikeapenguin
Board Member

Quote:
You also haven't mentioned if you have adjustable torque rods either, if you slammed this car without fixing the pinion angle, you might be mistaking some of the wheel hop with driveline noise.
runslikeapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #18
Fretka
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
Well clearly you know all of the answers. Glad you asked us for advice.
Funny how everyone responds to my questions in Turbobricks every single time. Of course - slamming car is stupid, drifting is for kids, doing custom parts is stupid aswell.

Just in case someone is still interested in some answers or any kind of continuing about this, here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogly View Post
Sounds like you have two different size tires.
Tyres are all around 215/40/17, running about 2,1bar all around. Now tell me that the tyres are too low aswell (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runslikeapenguin View Post
You also haven't mentioned if you have adjustable torque rods either, if you slammed this car without fixing the pinion angle, you might be mistaking some of the wheel hop with driveline noise.
I know about the driveline noise, most of it is felt on 2nd gear.
  • And seriously, I know when car loses grip and when it doesn't. Those are two different things.
    Wheel hop differs when drifting on wet and dry aswell, to be mentioned.
  • Wheel hop appeared only this year and nothing was changed in setup. Everything worked perfectly at the start - custom springs, custom shocks - everything. Yes, I know that it's hard to believe, but it actually worked and there was no wheel hop. How do I know? Because I wheel spinned the **** out of those tyres for past and this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjam83 View Post
You don't??? Ok...

...Seriously???
No, seriously. I don't see how wheel hop should appear when pushing full throttle going sideways or on transactions, since LSD locks both wheels 100% when on throttle. I'm open to your explanation and waiting for it.

Guess it's important to mention that wheel hop itself is generally called when your wheels jump up and down when loosing traction. I'm not talking about wheels hopping when I'm parking my car or turning in small radius, that's not a wheel hop technically (if not technically, then I'm not talking about it in this thread).

I've done many cars with welded diffs, custom spring, shock absorber setups and it hasn't been so terrible like this. Allthough none of those cars had dead axle.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #19
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

Quote:
Funny how everyone responds to my questions in Turbobricks every single time. Of course - slamming car is stupid, drifting is for kids, doing custom parts is stupid aswell.

I've done many cars with welded diffs, custom spring, shock absorber setups and it hasn't been so terrible like this. Allthough none of those cars had dead axle.
You sort of just answered your own question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I used paper books to learn how to do this stuff back in the day. Now I use pro software subscription
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolvor
3/4", make everything as heavy as possible for no reason. It's also 4:1 compression ratio because that's how cosworth did it in 1978.
Lord_Athlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
Fretka
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Athlon View Post
You sort of just answered your own question.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #21
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Location: If there were a bright center of the universe, im in the town that is furthest from

Quote:
Thanks!
Stop being upset for a few minutes and think about whats different between an IRS and a Live Axle?

Hint: The driveshaft angle doesnt change on an IRS car.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #22
Fretka
Board Member

Quote:
Stop being upset for a few minutes and think about whats different between an IRS and a Live Axle?

Hint: The driveshaft angle doesnt change on an IRS car.
Eh, okay, one more time.

Yes, I admit that first thing I need is adjustable panhard. Think I mentioned before that that's what I'm going to do next.
I guess the questions where stupid enough to get stupid answers.

I'll update this when the wheel hop will be gone, just in case someone here drives welded diff and custom springs, because can't afford Kalphenke coilovers for 1,4$ and aftermarket LSD for 500$.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #23
doucheNozzle

Jebus. Why make a thread when your ego gets in the way?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:38 PM   #24
Lord_Athlon
Sf1k Kryptonite

Quote:
Eh, okay, one more time.

Yes, I admit that first thing I need is adjustable panhard. Think I mentioned before that that's what I'm going to do next.
I guess the questions where stupid enough to get stupid answers.

I'll update this when the wheel hop will be gone, just in case someone here drives welded diff and custom springs, because can't afford Kalphenke coilovers for 1,4$ and aftermarket LSD for 500$.
The panhard bar goes left and right. Not tilting the nose up and down.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #25
Fretka
Board Member

Quote:
The panhard bar goes left and right. Not tilting the nose up and down.
Can't really understand your sentence. If it's because of coilovers I mentioned - well, yeah, you can ride a boat and hope not to roll over, then you don't need to move the panhard at all, because it's perfectly centered with stock suspension.