home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & suspension

Old 03-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #1
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default Freiburger on the V8 (swapped) Volvo

After decades of reading HOTROD, finally a discussion about Volvos.

Check out David Freiburger's Finish Line column entitled "V8 Anything" in the May HOTROD magazine. The last thing I expected.... a picture of a group of V8 Volvo wagons.

He says "I have a resounding lack of desire to LS-swap a Volvo, but can't deny that the practice is pure hot rodding".

He also says "Instead, the new wave is engine-swapping cars that the mainstream would never consider. BMW and Volvos are chief among them. Really."

edit - originally posted in OT, but perhaps it belongs here. RWC found that HR last mentioned Volvo (on the cover) in 1964........

We can't be far away from an actual article with a LS swapped RWD Volvo.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Dan Stokes
Board Member

Or even better, a SBF swapped Volvo (I'm doing one).

Dan
Dan Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Dan
TQ>HP

It was a nice surprise to get to the back page and see that.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DET17 View Post

Check out David Freiburger's Finish Line column entitled "V8 Anything" in the May HOTROD magazine. The last thing I expected.... a picture of a group of V8 Volvo wagons.

He says "I have a resounding lack of desire to LS-swap a Volvo, but can't deny that the practice is pure hot rodding".

He also says "Instead, the new wave is engine-swapping cars that the mainstream would never consider. BMW and Volvos are chief among them. Really."

edit - originally posted in OT, but perhaps it belongs here. RWC found that HR last mentioned Volvo (on the cover) in 1964........

There's a somewhat in depth article on the swap inside.

Fakey edit;

Probably does belong in OT since it's idle chatter.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
volvo?
That One Guy

There should be an article in the next issue of ROADKILL magazine. As 77volvo245 and I were I interviewed about our LS swapped wagons.
volvo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo? View Post
There should be an article in the next issue of ROADKILL magazine. As 77volvo245 and I were I interviewed about our LS swapped wagons.
So those were your wagons shown in the HR column? Cool..... Freiburger only said it was at an undisclosed event.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #7
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

I like watching Roadkill on Youtube. That twin-engine 500 Cadillac El Dorado was pretty amusing.

Wren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #8
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:

The author obviously doesn't know that Volvos have been candidates for V8 swaps for over 20 years. Jags that Run and Converse Engineering did them before many owner on this board where even born!

Jack, I think you really need this and you have the parts I need....
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #9
Trevor57
Board Member

I like people being unaware of rwd volvos. Do we really want prices driven up by these cars becoming popular?
Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren View Post
I like watching Roadkill on Youtube. That twin-engine 500 Cadillac El Dorado was pretty amusing.

You realize that was Dirt Every Day, not Roadkill right?

Reminds me, I'm way behind in watching episodes. Work has been busy, no time to watch. lol
Mick Starkey aka TrickMick 1/10/14

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti, AW71L, IPD bars/springs, Koni SA's, JVAB B230FT, IPD Turbo cam, GT2871R @ 18psi, TLAO chips, E85, NPR, 3.5" DP, 3" DP-back, MSD, TruTrac, Wilwood BBK

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #11
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
There's a somewhat in depth article on the swap inside.

Fakey edit;

Probably does belong in OT since it's idle chatter.
Just ordered a copy for $8 shipped

Crush it now and regret it later
We need laws for states to check for cut springs on vehicles. Mandatory background checks and and licenses suspended for 10 years. Report cut springs
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #12
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
The author obviously doesn't know that Volvos have been candidates for V8 swaps for over 20 years. Jags that Run and Converse Engineering did them before many owner on this board where even born!
We'll see how many years it is before HOTROD runs an LS converted Volvo article........

When you read the column, Freiburger laments that the 2 door muscle car material has all but disappeared or rusted shells fetching 5 digits. Today's young budding hotrodders have little choice but to V8 something else for their thrills. There historically has been little to no "import content" in HOTROD.... but I think that is changing. They ran a blasphemous article about a 69 Camaro with a TOYOTA engine swap about 10 years ago, and I think the editor got canned as a result
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #13
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
The author obviously doesn't know that...
Anyone who's followed Freiburger for any length of time realizes there's a whole lot that he doesn't know.

CarCraft ran this about 3 years ago shortly before its demise and shortly before I pulled the 5.0 and replaced with LS.

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 03-13-2017 at 07:31 AM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
Dan
TQ>HP

yeah, Hot Rod has their niche, we are not in it, so any mention of Volvo at all is a good thing....
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #15
Wren
Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellstr View Post
You realize that was Dirt Every Day, not Roadkill right?
You're right. I think Roadkill put a 6BT in a Cadillac. Both shows are pretty funny at times.
Wren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #16
mikep
The MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor57 View Post
I like people being unaware of rwd volvos. Do we really want prices driven up by these cars becoming popular?
I doubt it will drive up prices. The people who haven't decided on a Volvo are usually looking for
a. cheap and available, which the volvo might be, or
b. popular, which the Volvo is not.
A distant c. is someone looking for the "best platform" for a certain engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
yeah, Hot Rod has their niche, we are not in it, so any mention of Volvo at all is a good thing....
True.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistrThou View Post
Did your 242 die of dysentery?
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #17
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Anyone who's followed Freiburger for any length of time realizes there's a whole lot that he doesn't know.
He knows a lot about the areas that he enjoys. Jeeps and muscle cars especially mopar. Outside of that he doesn't really care or have the time.

Quote:
He said his wife had a volvo wagon years back and he hated the thing. Didn't say the model but yeah he says he doesn't even own metric tools and has no interest in it. He likes what he likes and lets other people do their thing. More volvos for the rest of us.

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
BigIrish
Board Member

I saw that too. I built a 5.0 & T-5 244 last year for autocross (doing quite well at the track actually) that was such a blast to build I'm starting a second 5.0 & AOD build now as a cruiser.

I know everyone is LS-everything now, but I like that the 5.0 is easily converted to carb (what I did). Makes an easy swap even easier. I have exactly 2 wires and zero sensors needed to run it - ignition and start. I can rebuild anything on it myself.

I've built/hot rodded lots of cars over the years, but did the Volvo for exactly the reason mentioned above - the typical old cars that people used to hot rod are now really expensive, or need everything. Usually both. Plus lots of rust. $10k buys a junker or a deeply uncool grandma car.

The '89 240 was a dream to work on compared to the usual 60's junk I play with. No rust, all the bolts zipped right out. Simple and logical in an American car way, but much higher quality.

It draws a crowd at every autocross event and people love it. No one has ever heard of a V8 Volvo, much less seen one whip up on a BMW M3.
BigIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #19
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor57 View Post

I for one welcome the day when the cars and parts are worth something more than a little bit of nothing and they move into better hands.

Oh wait they're already 25 years old and classics...
Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #20
Dan Stokes
Board Member

I actually KNOW David F. and he knows me by name - we share a friendship with Keith Turk who is his LSR racing partner. David is a sharp guy but he has his own likes and dislikes - like the rest of us. I'm loving the Volvo 245/SBF I'm building for a friend and David probably wouldn't. I get to love it and he doesn't have to, that's the way of the world. For him it was kind of a big deal giving Volvo (and BMW) folks the ink he gave us as it shows an openness that was a bit of a stretch for him.

Dan
Dan Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #21
740atl
educator monkey

I've read Hot Rod before.
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #22
77volvo245
Board Member

I already tried contacting them about a LS swap I didn't get any response about it. I had a perfect donor 75 wagon I sure they are very busy. I went down to the ROADKILL ziptie drags in AZ with VOLVO? and they did a small photo shoot

Last edited by 77volvo245; 03-17-2017 at 02:37 AM..
77volvo245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #23
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stokes View Post
For him it was kind of a big deal giving Volvo (and BMW) folks the ink he gave us as it shows an openness that was a bit of a stretch for him.

Dan
I'd imagine that's true. Having read the guy's columns for quite a number of years..... he's certainly all about American iron with V8s. HOTROD used to run stories back 5+ years ago entitled "Dare to be different"..... but not so much lately. When the current crop of baby boomers funding 6 digit show cars all die off, it will be a different landscape.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #24
77volvo245
Board Member

I read the article and they have no interest in doing a LS swap into a volvo
77volvo245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #25
lummert
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740atl View Post
I've read Hot Rod before.