home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 03-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #26
bluemoose
Board Member

I come from a domestic muscle car and drag racing background, I've owned quite a few f-bodies and I had a '69 Chevelle featured with a 7 page spread in Popular Hotrodding back in 2007. That said, after buying my first Volvo in 2015, I developed an appreciation for them, which resulted in me buying a 1990 740 for my daily driver. I love the build quality and thoughtfulness in design of the old bricks, but I do miss having 350 rwhp at my disposal.
To me a Brick with an LS engine would be just about the perfect daily driver, and perhaps mine will end up with a GM power plant between the fenders some day.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #27
Dan Stokes
Board Member

Don't rule out the small block Ford. Lots of speed parts cheap and it fits REALLY well in the Volvo body. I'm really digging the one I'm building - 443 HP 347 Blueprint crate engine w/ World Class T5.

Dan
Dan Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #28
varg
kludgemeister

I think one of the main reasons some people want an LS over a SBF is that the LS is noticeably lighter, being aluminum and all

You do have to pay for that lightness, but it is worth it to me.

Non aluminum engine swaps which people call "LS swaps" are not true LS swaps by designation, afaik. Just shared architecture.

'85 244DL B21FT swap (gone ), ->Project thread
'91 E30 318is, M20 swapped, turbocharged. project in progress.
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #29
cosbySweater
Board Member

The price difference isnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post
How come we get a Cosby sweater but no Boner in sweatpants in this thread?
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #30
77volvo245
Board Member

L33 is aluminum and not a 5.7L are they inferior to a LS1?

77volvo245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #31
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
price difference with what?

I isn't sure what you're gettin' at

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #32
cosbySweater
Board Member

Between a iron block and a aluminum block. The l33s are coming down a little in price
Old 03-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #33
varg
kludgemeister

Quote:
Between a iron block and a aluminum block. The l33s are coming down a little in price
Quote:
For you. Not everyone wants the extra weight of an iron block V8 when they do the swap, and it's a totally valid concern.
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #34
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
well it's a known vs unknown thing to a certain extent... when I went engine shoppin', the L33 I ended up with was only about ~$300 more than a comperable iron block motor, BUUUT it had gen 4 internals, was lighter, and had 799 heads. To me, that was well worth the modest difference in price, all other things being what they are.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #35
Jack
junkman

Freiburger on roadkill extra says that he despised his wife's Volvo station wagon and she didn't want to get rid of it

Episode published on feb 25th '17 at around 5min

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_elleck View Post
I regretfully agree with Jack.

Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:32 AM   #36
77volvo245
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Freiburger on roadkill extra says that he despised his wife's Volvo station wagon and she didn't want to get rid of it

Episode published on feb 25th '17 at around 5min
He said he hated the "Volvo wagon", I wonder what model?
77volvo245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 AM   #37
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77volvo245 View Post
He said he hated the "Volvo wagon", I wonder what model?
You are correct

Cough 940
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 AM   #38
Pillow
Board Member

I really enjoyed Freiburger years ago at Car Craft. He was on a wagon lovefest at that time... Then he pissed off a sponsor in a column and he vanished for a little bit until Hot Rod picked him up.

Anyway I LOVE the Roadkill movement and it is a longtime coming after seeing the "hoodride" young guys running buckets of cr@p for years.

IMO the cheap LS engines and cheap turbos have sparked a new generation of "hot rodder" that doesn't want a played out 57 Bel Air or Chevelle SS. Even the rice import scene has changed dramatically in the last 5 years to more elegant and proper rides.

Many friends of mine are complete crossover buyers these days with euro/asian AND american muscle in the garage. It's fun
1948 30' Spartan Mansion aluminum trailer
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:04 AM   #39
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
well it's a known vs unknown thing to a certain extent... when I went engine shoppin', the L33 I ended up with was only about ~$300 more than a comperable iron block motor, BUUUT it had gen 4 internals, was lighter, and had 799 heads. To me, that was well worth the modest difference in price, all other things being what they are.
I bought a running and driving van with a 4l80e and a gen 4 6.0 for 1500, sold the shell for 1500....
Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #40
Dan Stokes
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
I think one of the main reasons some people want an LS over a SBF is that the LS is noticeably lighter, being aluminum and all

You do have to pay for that lightness, but it is worth it to me.

Non aluminum engine swaps which people call "LS swaps" are not true LS swaps by designation, afaik. Just shared architecture.
The 347 comes with BluePrint's aluminum heads so the weight difference is significantly reduced (though I don't have numbers). I know my '88 Mustang convert w/96 5.8 L and Edelbrock aluminum heads handles WAY better than it did with the 5.0 and the 5.8 base engine is a LOT heavier than the 5.0 w/iron heads.

All I'm saying is that you can offset some of the weight difference with heads and I doubt the average guy could tell the difference, at least in daily driving. Not saying an all aluminum engine isn't a nice thing - I had a number of 215 aluminum Buicks (and one Olds) for a couple of Vegas I built.

Dan
Dan Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #41
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
I bought a running and driving van with a 4l80e and a gen 4 6.0 for 1500, sold the shell for 1500....
and you're saying you couldn't get a 4x4 truck and do the same thing? or better since you'd be selling the trans (course, that'd end up being a wash)

either way you're arguing about a couple hundred bucks for the average swapper as a number of folks don't have the space or tools or accessibility of such vans to do what you did.
I haven't seen one locally for sale. (that iron motor is HEAAVVY tho, helped a buddy load one into the back of the 940 a few weeks ago)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #42
noz-e8tr
Board Member

I've never gotten a negative comment on Berserker when someone sees it in person. At autocross it's one of the more popular cars. At car shows it will draw a small crowd. Only the ones that will know that the 5.0 is not stock. About the only thing other than compliments will be the standard question "Why a Volvo?" My standard answer is "If you ask me why, you already know the answer." Because its something different. On the autocross course I get tons more attention that my BMW ever did. People just expect a BMW to do well. They are blown away when a Volvo places in the top 5. Now the internet is completely different. I will always get a few negative comments on FaceBook, non-Volvo car forums etc...But its the internet, so I take that with a grain of salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
This subculture is not conducive to meeting women let alone inspiring them to drive 30 year old, rectilinear, underpowered shit boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Disney
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

Last edited by noz-e8tr; 03-31-2017 at 05:01 PM..
noz-e8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #43
cosbySweater
Board Member

Quote:
and you're saying you couldn't get a 4x4 truck and do the same thing? or better since you'd be selling the trans (course, that'd end up being a wash)

either way you're arguing about a couple hundred bucks for the average swapper as a number of folks don't have the space or tools or accessibility of such vans to do what you did.
I haven't seen one locally for sale. (that iron motor is HEAAVVY tho, helped a buddy load one into the back of the 940 a few weeks ago)
Very true.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #44
MikeSr.
Finish it, Flounder

I got what I thought was an L33, but turned out to be an Lh6 with all the DOD stuff. I was disappointed, but the basic motor had 243 heads, flattop pistons , 10.5:1 cr. and aluminum block, plus Gen4 big rods.
I replaced the lifters, oil pump, added LS6 valvesprings and a GM ASA cam. A 4.8 valley cover plugged the DOD oil galleys. Less than $1000 total.I then looked for a T56 and found one, but the seller wanted $800 and incuded an iron 5.3 motor. He just wanted to get rid of all of it. So I sold the motor to a buddy of mine for $800= free T56. Got a complete Camaro flywheel and clutch kit from O'Reilly's. Should be a nice combo, but I wish I had done a 4L80E so I can boost it.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #45
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSr. View Post
I got what I thought was an L33, but turned out to be an Lh6 with all the DOD stuff. I was disappointed, but the basic motor had 243 heads, flattop pistons , 10.5:1 cr. and aluminum block, plus Gen4 big rods.
I replaced the lifters, oil pump, added LS6 valvesprings and a GM ASA cam. A 4.8 valley cover plugged the DOD oil galleys. Less than $1000 total.I then looked for a T56 and found one, but the seller wanted $800 and incuded an iron 5.3 motor. He just wanted to get rid of all of it. So I sold the motor to a buddy of mine for $800= free T56. Got a complete Camaro flywheel and clutch kit from O'Reilly's. Should be a nice combo, but I wish I had done a 4L80E so I can boost it.
I've spent an hour last night trying to figure out all the different LS variants, it is mind boggling!

Killer score on that transmission.

Jack, I think you really need this and you have the parts I need....
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #46
MikeSr.
Finish it, Flounder

Just do what successful guys do- Kenny, Sam and Matt (sloppy mechanics) Happel are great examples- they get more done in a weekend than I do in a year, lol. Of course it would help if I stop buying other projects.
MikeSr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #47
383Mazda
Board Member

This reminds me of another article back in the day that covered a V8 swapped Rx7. I was very into them back in the early 2000's and built one myself and the V8Rx7 community was all excited to read the article, but it ended up being pathetic - pretty much a "yes, you can buy a cheap Rx7 for under $1000 and toss in a small block for another few thousand and have a car that out performs anything out of Detroit, but it's still a Japanese car in the end..." Even in early 2000 there was a pretty big aftermarket catered to the V8 rx7's and they were hardly acknowledged by Hot Rod :( I'd argue that the V8 Rx7 is the car that kicked off the motor swap into Japanese car trend. Volvo's might be next, lol. Big engine bay, RWD, cheap and plentiful...

I fall asleep reading through their cookie cutter "wild and radical - never been done before" $100k+ pro touring builds that would fade away into any local car show... In 2015 my brothers and I went on the power tour, we had 2 Buick GN's, a '67 Olds 442 and my youngest brother in his group A 242, every night he drew the crowd, lol. And there was only one other volvo we saw the entire tour... The muscle cars of the 60-70's are fading away with the baby boomers. HOTROD needs to get out of the mindset that if it's not from Detroit it doesn't count.
383Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #48
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noz-e8tr View Post
I've never gotten a negative comment on Berserker when someone sees it in person. At autocross it's one of the more popular cars. At car shows it will draw a small crowd. Only the ones that will know that the 5.0 is not stock. About the only think other than compliments will be the standard question "Why a Volvo?" My standard answer is "If you ask me why, you already know the answer." Because its something different. On the autocross course I get tons more attention that my BMW ever did. People just expect a BMW to do well. They are blown away when a Volvo places in the top 5. Now the internet is completely different. I will always get a few negative comments on FaceBook, non-Volvo car forums etc...But its the internet, so I take that with a grain of salt.
yeah. People like me don't like em air fijord wee ates.

the duality of man, and what not.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #49
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
I've spent an hour last night trying to figure out all the different LS variants, it is mind boggling!

Killer score on that transmission.
I don't know much about em. some cursory reading on the sloppywiki (matt's site) and I just ran off in a direction. Until you start doing silly things, there's not much reason to worry about it... get one and run with it. if it breaks, get another.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #50
Mueller
Board Member

Quote:
I don't know much about em. some cursory reading on the sloppywiki (matt's site) and I just ran off in a direction. Until you start doing silly things, there's not much reason to worry about it... get one and run with it. if it breaks, get another.
I was thinking of picking up that 4.8 from a neighbor, it has a spun yet supposedly repairable cam bearing (bearing spun in the block) , in case the block was toast I was trying to figure out what the internals and bolt on parts would work with if I was to find just a bare block.

There is someone local selling a brand new unused LM7 block from Summit racing for $300.
Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote