home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default b230ft K cam required mods

Hi guys,
just bought a K cam that came off a 240 recently, I've got a few questions about throwing it into a b230ft. I know I have to get it machined before installing it due to the whole dizzy location issue, but do I need shims to get the cam all set up correctly or can I just toss it in as it is? Also, anyone have a good source on valve springs that can tolerate revving to 7k rpm? Thanks.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor
 
Shifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Hill, Shinshu Japan
Default

You're joking right.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME II View Post
Without mistakes there is no learning.
"I think that man was put here on earth to live, not just to exist" -- Robert 'Evel' Knievel
Shifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
John242Ti
manofewords
 
John242Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Duvall, WA
Default

Unless said engine has a distributor drive gear on the intermediate shaft, you'll be able to crank it over and move the car around with the starter, but it won't run. A head-mounted distributor compatible cam has more meat on the rear of it to mate with the distributor. One for a block-mounted distributor is too short to engage the key on the shaft.

If you want a K cam for a B230FT, you'll need to go to a Volvo Penta parts dealer and order a Marin cam. Volvo p/n 1316775. That said, if you're clueless enough to think that you can drop a K cam into an engine that came with a T cam without adjusting the valves, you may want to just leave things alone, sell off your Volvo stuff and go get that Corolla that you wanted so badly.
__________________

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. 1987 764Ti - beige, Aw71 (for sale). 1989 745Ti - red, Aw71. 1992 245 - white, Aw70 (for sale).
Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
James10952001
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Default

I suppose one could machine an adapter to fit into a socket machined in the end of the cam that the head mounted distributor would engage with. I would probably just go with wasted spark distributorless ignition at that point but if you're going to machine the camshaft it's not a whole lot more work to machine an adapter. You'll definitely need to adjust the shims, the K cam is one of the more (most?) aggressive Volvo cams.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
John V, outside agitator
Board Member
 
John V, outside agitator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sleezattle, WA, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Hi guys,
just bought a K cam that came off a 240 recently, I've got a few questions about throwing it into a b230ft. I know I have to get it machined before installing it due to the whole dizzy location issue, but do I need shims to get the cam all set up correctly or can I just toss it in as it is? Also, anyone have a good source on valve springs that can tolerate revving to 7k rpm? Thanks.
Hey what CAR? Only difference is a slot.


What car dud the B230Ft come from...

You're going to use the hottest of all the OEM normal aspirated cams in a B230FT????

Yes you will 99% certainly need shims. and 100% you'll need to check

Yes I have a good source of springs good to 7000..

But you have lots to explain first
__________________
John Vanlandingham/JVAB Imports
Sleezattle WA, USA

--> CALL (206) 431-9696<----

www.rallyrace.net/jvab

www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

"When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him: 'Whose?'"
— Don Marquis
John V, outside agitator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
doucheNozzle
Newbie
 
doucheNozzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pitt, 15218
Default

https://yoshifab.com/store/volvo-8v-...pring-set.html
__________________

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 AM   #7
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

It'll be going into a '88 740 turbo, the gentleman I bought it off ran it in his '93 b230ft swapped 245, he had relocated the dizzy to get it all running. Also I'm completely aware this is one of the hottest N/A cams and that's exactly why I bought it. If we could all stop being smart asses and actually answer my questions that would be fantastic. Thanks DoucheNozzle for the link, anyone else got sources?
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #8
gross polluter
They see me trollin'
 
gross polluter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cold Lake, AB
Default

The terms K cam and "hot" don't really go together.

Good luck making power past 5600 rpm with that cam.
__________________
'88 245 - 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU, MS2 TCU | GT3582R-HTA | Staged simultaneous dual fuel | 590whp 580ftlbs

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:19 AM   #9
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
The terms K cam and "hot" don't really go together.

Good luck making power past 5600 rpm with that cam.
Again people being smart asses, is it so much ask for answers to my questions without snobbery?
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:44 AM   #10
chevy_dude97
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ramstein Germany
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Again people being smart asses, is it so much ask for answers to my questions without snobbery?
I think both of your answers are above, Yes you need to shim, yes they make heavier springs.

Am I missing something or did you have a third question?
__________________
1989 740GLE 8V 250K miles in Survivor mode
1951 Buick Super
1980 MG MBG GT Sebring
2001 Seat Alhambra 1.9TDI
chevy_dude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:48 AM   #11
Surfingbird
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Up north in Denmark
Default

How much power you looking for, and what rpm band? But yes, you will probably need shims. I would try mounting it, then start measuring. Aren't the stock clearance around .40mm +-.05mm?
Surfingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:53 AM   #12
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_dude97 View Post
I think both of your answers are above, Yes you need to shim, yes they make heavier springs.

Am I missing something or did you have a third question?
No, it's just some of the posts on here were completely unnecessary and a waste of time. If you don't want to help, then shut up and move along, no need to add a pointless post making yourself look like an asshat.

I do however really appreciate everyone that's getting straight to the point and trying to aid me in this modification, like John V, outside agitator and doucheNozzle.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:58 AM   #13
gross polluter
They see me trollin'
 
gross polluter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cold Lake, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Again people being smart asses, is it so much ask for answers to my questions without snobbery?
It's not snobbery as much as it's:

-Your questions have been answered
-Your questions don't really correlate to any basis in reality
-Based on your questions, you don't know much
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:03 AM   #14
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfingbird View Post
How much power you looking for, and what rpm band? But yes, you will probably need shims. I would try mounting it, then start measuring. Aren't the stock clearance around .40mm +-.05mm?
Looking to reach into the 300whp range, will be going with a 19t when I have time to pull one. Anyone know what shim size to throw in? I don't mind buying buying all 8 shims new and replacing the old ones.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:11 AM   #15
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
It's not snobbery as much as it's:

-Your questions have been answered
-Your questions don't really correlate to any basis in reality
-Based on your questions, you don't know much
Actually, I'd say it's snobbery since you're giving me lip about something I didn't ask you about. I didn't ask you if I'm going to make power at 5600 rpm, I asked how do I get the cam in and running right. Also, my questions don't correlate to any basis in reality? What is that even supposed to mean? A b230ft running a K cam isn't a real thing? There are plenty of examples of that on YouTube alone, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Also, yes, you're correct, I don't know much about Volvos. I'm an import guy, and I just recently found out about all the interchangeable parts amongst the Volvo fleet that allow you to build a great car for a great price. So shoot me for trying to learn, and people like you don't make it any easier.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:23 AM   #16
gross polluter
They see me trollin'
 
gross polluter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cold Lake, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Also, my questions don't correlate to any basis in reality? What is that even supposed to mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImADumbAssAE86 View Post
Anyone know what shim size to throw in?.
That's a pretty good example.
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #17
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
That's a pretty good example.
I'd be mad, but that made me laugh pretty hard (my name).
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #18
VolvoGuy123
Board Member
 
VolvoGuy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New York
Default

Not trying to be 'snobby' or whatever but what I think everyone is eluding to is the fact that they have all spent countless hours researching their own issues before pursing them instead of just asking questions in the forum? For an easier way to search keywords throughout a website/forum, use this formula in google; 'KEYWORDS site: WEBSITE.COM' Example: (strut mount install site: turbobricks.com) *a better way than most forum searches! ;) And to add to your issue, You will need to rent a 'shim kit' from IPDUSA.com. They will explain to you how it works, basically you leave a deposit and pay for the shims you use after you send the kit back. Good luck with everything!

Last edited by VolvoGuy123; 06-09-2017 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: because awesome.
VolvoGuy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #19
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor
 
Shifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Hill, Shinshu Japan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Looking to reach into the 300whp range, will be going with a 19t when I have time to pull one. Anyone know what shim size to throw in? I don't mind buying buying all 8 shims new and replacing the old ones.
See post #2.

If you're this inexperienced then you really have no business talking about 19t's and "300whp range".

Highly suggest you learn to walk before you try to fly.

No offense.
Shifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:59 AM   #20
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoGuy123 View Post
Not trying to be 'snobby' or whatever but what I think everyone is eluding to is the fact that they have all spent countless hours researching their own issues before pursing them instead of just asking questions in the forum? For an easier way to search keywords throughout a website/forum, use this formula in google; 'KEYWORDS site: WEBSITE.COM' Example: (strut mount install site: turbobricks.com) *a better way than most forum searches! ;) And to add to your issue, You will need to rent a 'shim kit' from IPDUSA.com. They will explain to you how it works, basically you leave a deposit and pay for the shims you use after you send the kit back. Good luck with everything!
Thanks, but believe me I did research this for quiet some time. I just wanted some confirmation and help before I decided to pull the trigger and slap this thing in.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #21
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted View Post
See post #2.

If you're this inexperienced then you really have no business talking about 19t's and "300whp range".

Highly suggest you learn to walk before you try to fly.

No offense.
Inexperienced with Volvos, that's about it. I've been working on cars or a while, just new to the Volvo game.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 AM   #22
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor
 
Shifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Hill, Shinshu Japan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Inexperienced with Volvos, that's about it. I've been working on cars or a while, just new to the Volvo game.
Pardon once again, but your line of questioning does not reflect a great deal of experience. We can tell, that's all.

I'll clarify: If you do install this cam (or any other), what you'll need to do is measure every valve clearance, then add/remove/swap shims as necessary to obtain the proper clearances. If you fail to do this you risk excessive clearances which can at best cause lots of noise, and much worse too tight clearances which will result in burned valves. The worst case of incorrect installation can see the cam likely fail within a very short time, and quite possibly damage other components within the head and elsewhere as it self-destructs.

So in a word, "No". You can't just "slap the thing in".

Look at the IPD shim kit that VG123 mentioned to get a better idea of what it is, and search 'shimming for valve clearance' to learn more. Briefly, there are many many different thicknesses of shims that need to be stacked/mixed/matched until the exact clearance is obtained for each valve.

?
Shifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #23
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted View Post
Pardon once again, but your line of questioning does not reflect a great deal of experience. We can tell, that's all.

I'll clarify: If you do install this cam (or any other), what you'll need to do is measure every valve clearance, then add/remove/swap shims as necessary to obtain the proper clearances. If you fail to do this you risk excessive clearances which can at best cause lots of noise, and much worse too tight clearances which will result in burned valves. The worst case of incorrect installation can see the cam likely fail within a very short time, and quite possibly damage other components within the head and elsewhere as it self-destructs.

So in a word, "No". You can't just "slap the thing in".

Look at the IPD shim kit that VG123 mentioned to get a better idea of what it is, and search 'shimming for valve clearance' to learn more. Briefly, there are many many different thicknesses of shims that need to be stacked/mixed/matched until the exact clearance is obtained for each valve.

?

How do my questions "not reflect a great deal of experience"? You can really tell that much about a person just from one post?

I understand how shimming works mate, I didn't start this thread with a "what's shimming?". And thank you for repeating what other actually helpful users already told me. Your input was greatly appreciated
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #24
Shifted
C&M '17 Survivor
 
Shifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Hill, Shinshu Japan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
How do my questions "not reflect a great deal of experience"? You can really tell that much about a person just from one post?

I understand how shimming works mate, I didn't start this thread with a "what's shimming?". And thank you for repeating what other actually helpful users already told me. Your input was greatly appreciated
Yes.

Maybe you should have.

There won't be any more.

Good luck//

Last edited by Shifted; 06-09-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Shifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #25
doucheNozzle
Newbie
 
doucheNozzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pitt, 15218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
...300whp...19t...


Good luck!
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.