home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 AM   #26
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifted View Post
Yes.

Maybe you should have.

There won't be any more.

Good luck//
Maybe I should start a thread asking how to wipe my ass too
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #27
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post


Good luck!
It's been done plenty of times
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #28
centason
Wine enemas for all
 
centason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft.Mill, SC
Default

Most here do know that a 19T on a redblock will not net 300HP. 20g will put you just at or under 300 with the right setup. A properly matched aftermarket turbo will net you the best results. Holsets are fairly cheap, and could handle the task.
__________________
Member: TBCCS
Death to all who stand in the way of obtaining the freedom of working people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Just remember this guys. Im related to cocaine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
they were pushing sloppy poo up a steep hill with a pointy stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history.
Any forums history.
centason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #29
chevy_dude97
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ramstein Germany
Default

Yeah, like the others mentioned, you have to measure each lash. There should not be a "one size" shim to buy and place it in, its a used cam so it probably has wear, along with your valves. I suggest taking it to a shop that does heads, they should have shims readily available and to be honest it would save you the headache of "loaner" tools. Just my .02
__________________
1989 740GLE 8V 250K miles in Survivor mode
1951 Buick Super
1980 MG MBG GT Sebring
2001 Seat Alhambra 1.9TDI
chevy_dude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #30
VB242
One hundred gift baskets
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Maybe I should start a thread asking how to wipe my ass too
Maybe you should be a little more tolerant of people that are trying to help you. You obviously had no idea how shimming works or the reason you would need to actually measure clearances and utilize the proper shim for each cam lobe. Give us an example of some other cars where you've checked valve clearance and how you adjusted it if necessary. I know how to adjust the valves in my Toyota 2zz-ge and there's no shims involved. If you took some quiet time, per your previous post, and actually did some research you would find that n/a cams are not the best cams to slap into a turbo engine, Google overlap and see what information that gets you.
__________________
Bruten tegelsten
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #31
240240
Volvo ruined my Life
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In that neighborhood with the 240 on the jackstands & where tax rate is 1/2 paycheck; la habra, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Maybe I should start a thread asking how to wipe my ass too
you should since you bought a 740 instead of a 240.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM   #32
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It
 
CAPT_BLOTTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas City
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Hey what CAR? Only difference is a slot.


What car dud the B230Ft come from...

You're going to use the hottest of all the OEM normal aspirated cams in a B230FT????

Yes you will 99% certainly need shims. and 100% you'll need to check

Yes I have a good source of springs good to 7000..

But you have lots to explain first
WOW those cams have all the duration and lift!
__________________
Hello My Glorious!

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:21 PM   #33
gross polluter
They see me trollin'
 
gross polluter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cold Lake, AB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
you should since you bought a 740 instead of a 240.
__________________
'88 245 - 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU, MS2 TCU | GT3582R-HTA | Staged simultaneous dual fuel | 590whp 580ftlbs @ 22psi

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S @ 18 psi | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock

Last edited by gross polluter; 06-09-2017 at 12:54 PM..
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #34
James10952001
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
The terms K cam and "hot" don't really go together.

Good luck making power past 5600 rpm with that cam.


The only time I ever drove a car with a K cam it was a NA B23E and that certainly felt lively up to 6000 RPM. Years ago someone tested a bunch of different cams in a Volvo turbo and came to the conclusion that the K was not really ideal for a turbo motor but IIRC the issue was at the low end, not high RPM. Personally I value low RPM torque much more than top end power but my cars are daily drivers that I use for getting around, hauling stuff and in the case of my 242 I occasionally pull a utility trailer so torque is valuable to me. I don't race or go ricing around, hell I'm lucky if I can even reach the speed limit with all the traffic around here these days.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #35
gross polluter
They see me trollin'
 
gross polluter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cold Lake, AB
Default

More lively than an M cam sure, but power doesn't continue to climb past mid 5K if you're lucky.
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #36
Tuff240
240 Ninja
 
Tuff240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central California
Default

For a cheap cam, I've always liked the K. Today's prices for one, there are better options, but back when they were $50-75 they were hard to beat the bang for the buck.
__________________
"The Parts Counter Guy"
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #37
James10952001
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Default

As much as I like turbos, there's something appealing about a nice lively NA motor, that B23E felt really good to drive. The car wasn't as fast as a turbo car but it felt good to drive and that's the important part IMO.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #38
Tuff240
240 Ninja
 
Tuff240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10952001 View Post
As much as I like turbos, there's something appealing about a nice lively NA motor, that B23E felt really good to drive. The car wasn't as fast as a turbo car but it felt good to drive and that's the important part IMO.
They are real fun until a beat old k-jet turbo comes up on your bumper and toys with you by playing with his BOV while you are still flat on the floor. And that was a fairly built (more than most here do anyways) n/a 2.6 stroker, probably around 200hp.
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #39
John242Ti
manofewords
 
John242Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Duvall, WA
Default

^This. There's a reason why I got rid of the car that contained the engine James10952001 is talking about. It felt like a B23F after driving my old silver '82 242T before I even added the intercooler kit. That said, it did pull strongly for a NA engine all the way to 6500 rpm in 1st. So did the B230F that I dropped a different K cam into. Unfortunately, kinda hit a wall at 5800 rpm when the rev limiter was hit. From 2000 rpm on up, decent amount of grunt, tho.

I do have a K cam (that I bought for $25 from PnP) installed in the B23FT that's going into my current 242Ti (his brother's old car). Specs are somewhat similar to the iPd turbo cam, except for the dual profiles. So, we'll see how peaky it is with the 2.3 liters versus how it felt when one of the original TB'ers put it into a B21FT and discovered no lower end power.

-J
__________________

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. 1987 764Ti - beige, Aw71. 1992 245 - white, Aw70.
Formerly Blue245Ti, 245GT-Turbo, and, originally 242GT-Ti.
John242Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #40
James10952001
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Default

I like a car that has a bit of power but I don't care about competing with someone to see who's dick is bigger. If they want to go faster they're welcome to pass me. Lots of classic sports cars were not all that quick by modern standards and you have to do a lot of mods to get an old Volvo to come close to a lot of modern sports cars in terms of performance but I'd still rather drive the Volvo.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #41
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
Most here do know that a 19T on a redblock will not net 300HP. 20g will put you just at or under 300 with the right setup. A properly matched aftermarket turbo will net you the best results. Holsets are fairly cheap, and could handle the task.
Would a holset hx35 bolt on to the existing manifold or would I need a custom one?
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #42
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
you should since you bought a 740 instead of a 240.
I would've but a turbo 240 goes for about 5-6x the price of a 740 turbo here, I just can't see myself dropping that kind of money on a beat up old volvo
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #43
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff240 View Post
For a cheap cam, I've always liked the K. Today's prices for one, there are better options, but back when they were $50-75 they were hard to beat the bang for the buck.
I bought mine for $70
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:51 PM   #44
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10952001 View Post
The only time I ever drove a car with a K cam it was a NA B23E and that certainly felt lively up to 6000 RPM. Years ago someone tested a bunch of different cams in a Volvo turbo and came to the conclusion that the K was not really ideal for a turbo motor but IIRC the issue was at the low end, not high RPM. Personally I value low RPM torque much more than top end power but my cars are daily drivers that I use for getting around, hauling stuff and in the case of my 242 I occasionally pull a utility trailer so torque is valuable to me. I don't race or go ricing around, hell I'm lucky if I can even reach the speed limit with all the traffic around here these days.
I really don't mind a weak low end, I daily a v8 ATM and that's all low end (5.9 magnum). I wanted to build something that was a little peaky and made its power up high, just for something different.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #45
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Maybe you should be a little more tolerant of people that are trying to help you. You obviously had no idea how shimming works or the reason you would need to actually measure clearances and utilize the proper shim for each cam lobe. Give us an example of some other cars where you've checked valve clearance and how you adjusted it if necessary. I know how to adjust the valves in my Toyota 2zz-ge and there's no shims involved. If you took some quiet time, per your previous post, and actually did some research you would find that n/a cams are not the best cams to slap into a turbo engine, Google overlap and see what information that gets you.
I already said I appreciate those who we're attempting to help me, I did not appreciate those who we're leaving pointless sarcastic remarks.
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #46
centason
Wine enemas for all
 
centason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft.Mill, SC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Would a holset hx35 bolt on to the existing manifold or would I need a custom one?
I'll leave that up to an actual Holset owner. Not sure.
centason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #47
James10952001
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantedAnAE86 View Post
Would a holset hx35 bolt on to the existing manifold or would I need a custom one?
No, the Holsets are huge. I've only ever seen them installed on a custom header that shifts the turbo forward and up higher than the stock location. You can get quite a bit of power out of a stock or slightly larger than stock turbo. By the time you're talking about big turbo upgrades you're talking thousands of dollars to upgrade everything that needs upgrading. A little extra power is cheap, beyond about 250HP more power gets exponentially more expensive.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #48
SlowRide
Cold War Crumple Zones
 
SlowRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ocala, Florida
Default

Man alive! I just want mine to get up an on ramp without getting creamed!
__________________
1980 242 DL, B230f LH 2.4 AW71, B cam ipd adj gear adv 2*, ipd 25/25 sways, B&G springs (+T and M46 swap in waiting)
1982 244 GLT, partial part out, fate unknown
1989 244 DL, in a few boxes
Valhalla for Countless Others
Slowest Project Ever
240 parts, +T, and More For Sale
Feedback
SlowRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 PM   #49
IWantedAnAE86
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10952001 View Post
No, the Holsets are huge. I've only ever seen them installed on a custom header that shifts the turbo forward and up higher than the stock location. You can get quite a bit of power out of a stock or slightly larger than stock turbo. By the time you're talking about big turbo upgrades you're talking thousands of dollars to upgrade everything that needs upgrading. A little extra power is cheap, beyond about 250HP more power gets exponentially more expensive.
Wow, yeah not looking to drop in turbo parts that cost multiple times what the car does lol! I wonder how a 20g would fare, would it bolt right up with the td05 housing?
IWantedAnAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #50
VB242
One hundred gift baskets
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

This is what I have, it's got a large boss that makes it easy to reclock. I've broken a few engines, transmission, and rear ends with it. I didn't buy it from Walmart but got it from eBay for $50 less.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/91-92-93-...ange/170511878
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.