home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 06-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
dirtbag240
Board Member

Default best shocks and struts for a 89 245

hey folks just wondering what everyone's opinions of the best shock/strut combo is, I currently am running the ipd lowering springs, 25fr/23r anti sways, front strut tower brace, as well as lower front chassis bracing. I'm looking at either the HD's or the koni sports, but am open to other options.

also on a related note, I'm having some highish speed (110 to 125kph or around 65 to 85 mph the american folks ) harmonic vibration and just got the alignment checked and wheels weighted and so all of that should be good but I'm wondering If blown/going struts and worn/dead bushings could contribute to this

thanks in advance
dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
classicswede
Volvo upgrades

Re valved HD's work well but you need suitable struts to put them in.

No experiance of Koni but I dont like how they adjust.

I stock GAZ adjustable inserts http://www.classicswede.co.uk/Adjust..._16659585.aspx

As to your vibration check all steering joints and bushes, wear in these items can result in vibrations
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
muppetman342
Board Member

Because of your springs you'd need revalved HDs like classicswede said, which is going to cost more. Konis might be able to adjust up to what you need but I don't have any personal experience there, someone else should.
muppetman342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
57plymouth
Board Member

I have that same setup with strut to firewall braces and no strut tower to strut tower brace. I'm running stock Sachs struts. The ride is harsher than the stock springs were, but it handles much better. I'm overall happy, but on bigger bumps it is pretty hard. I'm not sure if the car is bottoming on the bump stops or if I'm being overly picky.

Long story short, I'm overall happy with my stock replacement Sachs struts with IPD lowering springs and 25/23 sway bars.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #5
muppetman342
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57plymouth View Post
Long story short, I'm overall happy with my stock replacement Sachs struts with IPD lowering springs and 25/23 sway bars.
I've heard if you buy Sachs now they aren't built to the same quality that they used to be and don't last as long as they should. Where did you get yours?
muppetman342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
dirtbag240
Board Member

hmm OK, and just so I'm understanding you right, the re valving is because the spring is shorter or?

also I was contemplating a set of coil overs, at least for the front, is it worth it or is just a good shock/strut / spring combo all ya need

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman342 View Post
Because of your springs you'd need revalved HDs like classicswede said, which is going to cost more. Konis might be able to adjust up to what you need but I don't have any personal experience there, someone else should.
dirtbag240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
canyoneagle
Striving for mediocrity

I quite like the IPD springs and Koni Sports ('79 245).
I also have the IPD 25/23 sways and adjustable torque/panhard.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
57plymouth
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman342 View Post
I've heard if you buy Sachs now they aren't built to the same quality that they used to be and don't last as long as they should. Where did you get yours?
IPD. They had a spring and shock sale.
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
reed
Board Member

I have a 83 240 25f 25r sway bars and ipd springs. Upper and lower rsport braces, poly suspension bushings with 215 40 17 tires. I'm using boge turbo gas from ipd and the ride is nice, not too rough and not too soft. If I built another 240 I'd do the same thing. I had Volvo rsport stuff in it and rode really rough.
reed is offline   Reply With Quote